Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to tell somebody... the wife doesn't understand. It has been so wet here since October, I probably have less than an hour's seat time since then. Projects are stacking up, I am not complaining, the good Lord is blessing us with rain, but it would be nice to get a three, four or maybe even a five day run without any... pretty sure this is mainly here in the Southeast. I think my tractors are lonely. On a more serious note, I have fertilizer I need to spread on one of my fields, have not been able to get in there since we first set it up in early October, last thing I want is a stuck loaded spreader.

I don't have cattle, but the guys near me who do have a mess. Some have made alternate access points and will have a lot of work cleaning up this winters mudfest. Cows got to eat.

Maybe this should be in the "off topic" area, but since there is a lack of General Tractor Operation going on here, I put it in this section.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Same problem here In SC. Pastures are starting to green up. I have had a half-ton of bagged fertilizer sitting in the barn aisle for weeks, and a dump truck load of topsoil soaking up rain in the front pasture waiting to be spread over all the low spots now looking like small ponds. The footing is so crappy I can’t safely ride the horses and they are loosing fitness. Plus their horseshoes are just chopping up the new grass in the fields.

My mother grew up on a farm in the 30’s and became a librarian. She always told us she did that because she didn’t want her livelihood to depend on the weather - she had had enough of having life revolve around weather forecasts.

And here I am.... Last thing I do at night, and first thing every morning is to go to weather.com 😏

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, I am in SC too...

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm with both of you. Circumstances presented themselves for me to get rid of some vintage cars I had in a trade for some tractors that I have always wanted. Primarily to farm a garden, which is another post. So I commenced to moving cars and parts in between rain and now my back yard around my shop looks like a mud bogging pit. And now I can't get near the fields to do anything in the place I've picked out for the garden so I've been working on getting my winch and toolbox on my new trailer. Should be a nice week before it rains again this weekend. Heck we got over a half inch yesterday.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm with both of you. Circumstances presented themselves for me to get rid of some vintage cars I had in a trade for some tractors that I have always wanted. Primarily to farm a garden, which is another post. So I commenced to moving cars and parts in between rain and now my back yard around my shop looks like a mud bogging pit. And now I can't get near the fields to do anything in the place I've picked out for the garden so I've been working on getting my winch and toolbox on my new trailer. Should be a nice week before it rains again this weekend. Heck we got over a half inch yesterday.
I saw that post, traded old cars for some old Farmalls right? Very cool, I just got my first vintage tractor a few weeks ago, haven't touched since I put it under the shed. It doesnt run... but should sometime this spring.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Soaking, sopping wet soils here as well. Farmers with small grain should be putting an application of nitrogen on but that's just a wish list on fields right now. We had sun today, first warm, sunny day in a while and our cows were seriously loving it but big parts of the pasture have standing water.

I've got roads to fix but can't do that in the mud either. There's wood that should have been cut but again, just too wet and sloppy to get to it. Oh, and 20 acres of long leaf pine to burn but that's going to take a while as well even though it's on almost pure sand.

I could fuss more but then I think about what JC and the other Texans have been through and a little mud doesn't seem so bad. It will dry up, sometime. Maybe not this month but unless we get a big March snow the March winds should suck some of the moisture out.

I could always go practice my getting stuck options.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could fuss more but then I think about what JC and the other Texans have been through and a little mud doesn't seem so bad. It will dry up, sometime. Maybe not this month but unless we get a big March snow the March winds should suck some of the moisture out.
Treefarmer
Amen! I did feel a bit like a #@%$^ posting that. Things are real difficult in other areas, especially Texas, I totally understand their situation and pray for them every day.

Reactions: Treefarmer
1 - 7 of 7 Posts