Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, had a little trouble getting the 1025r up onto the trailer deck the other day. It had been raining, trailer deck was wet, and the mud in our area is quite slippery - almost greasy. Result, three tries to get the tractor up onto the deck, and didn't feel secure in the seat parking and later unloading the trailer. Trailer is a 14-footer with a standard wooden deck like this...
Trailer Deck #0.jpg
I was at the home improvement store buying paint for the new house, and I saw this stuff from Rustoleum and after looking at the sample of the product, (you can get practically any color you wish) decided to give it a try - bought a special roller to go with it.
Trailer Deck #1.jpg Trailer Deck #2.jpg
First mistake, using a plastic pouring lip on the can - this stuff is the consistency of cake batter or stucco - not at all like any paint you are used to! You practically spoon the stuff into the roller pan. It goes on THICK - and the roller works to add the texture. That works well, but the roller throws globs of that stuff EVERYWHERE! Wear a pair of pants and shoes you don't give a darn about - cause they're gonna get covered! It took a gallon and a half to give my trailer bed just one coat - gonna let it dry 48 hrs and then put down the second coat to get the final texture finish I want. You can see progress photos as I got on with the job.
Trailer Deck #3.jpg Trailer Deck #4.jpg
With a little left in the pan - and there's no putting THIS toothpaste back in the tube! - I decided to add a no-slip coat to the surfaces of the ramps as well. This photo shows the texture of the finish pretty well, too.
Trailer Deck #5.jpg Trailer Deck #6.jpg
Final job looks pretty good - and the entire trailer deck is now a no-slip surface. This product is rated for both concrete and wood decks and fills cracks up to 1/4-inch according to the can, but you can see it didn't fill the gaps in the deck boards for my trailer. Maybe I didn't put it on thick enough, but the final surface seems a lot more satisfactory than it was before and should keep the rain and sun from beating up the surface of my trailer deck.

I've reprocessed the photo files with Picassa instead of taking them direct from my phone - hoping that they will be in the correct orientation now! :laugh:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Great idea! I will do that to my flatbed this Spring! If there is any left after that, I'll add it to the floor of the stock trailer!

Thanks for the helpful post!! :good2:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
---mjncad: Yes, the texture is rather like an aircraft carrier's deck! The lightbulb went on big time when you said that, I was at a loss as how to describe the texture of this stuff.

-- Dieselshadow & other mods: thanks for trying to set this thread straight... er, upright! :laugh:

I'll be letting you folks know how this stuff holds up through the winter and pounding summer sun over the next few months... my contractor (working on the new house) was skeptical about this stuff. I wanted him to apply it to the deck on the house, but he was squeamish about it. Figured if it cracked or peeled on the trailer it was no big deal and Tractor Girl wouldn't get too upset over it! :tongue:

--Daniel

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
:hi:that looks like a good idea, hope that holds up good over time, good luck

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
I'm interested to see how well this stuff holds up. On my small trailer that I use for the mower, I stapled hardware cloth to the ramps to get some traction but it is't very attractive. If this stuff stays stuck then it might be a good alternative.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Similar "slippery when wet" problem on one of my buddies 60"W X 16'L metal deck trailer.
Had him go out and buy two sheets of 4' X 8' "expanded metal" and we cut it in four 2' wide strips and spot welded it on the trailer bed to match his tractor footprint when loading & unloading it.
After 3 years, still seems to be holding up nicely.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Similar "slippery when wet" problem on one of my buddies 60"W X 16'L metal deck trailer.
Had him go out and buy two sheets of 4' X 8' "expanded metal" and we cut it in four 2' wide strips and spot welded it on the trailer bed to match his tractor footprint when loading & unloading it.
After 3 years, still seems to be holding up nicely.
Hi Bill,
I thought of this, and I'm sure that it is holding up fine! My problem was that I've seen sun & weather beat up the wooden surface of my deck, porch and stairs, and I wanted a solution to protect the entire deck bed along with solving the traction problem. Hoping this will solve two problems at once! :pray:

I'll let folks know how it holds up over time....

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hi Bill,
I thought of this, and I'm sure that it is holding up fine! My problem was that I've seen sun & weather beat up the wooden surface of my deck, porch and stairs, and I wanted a solution to protect the entire deck bed along with solving the traction problem. Hoping this will solve two problems at once! :pray:

I'll let folks know how it holds up over time....
I'm guessing that it'll hold up very well. And, it looks great also. :good2:

·
Premium Member
9,277 Posts
Looks great.

Keep us posted on how well it holds up. :munch:

I'd also like to put something on my trailer deck to help protect it.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
Looks good. Guess I know what I'm putting on my trailer deck after I replace the boards. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I am interested in how this performs with ice on it. I have a ramp that needs some help for the ice and this seems like it might work.

Dave

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am interested in how this performs with ice on it. I have a ramp that needs some help for the ice and this seems like it might work.

Dave
Hi Dave,
Interesting you should say that - I was thinking about our steep front steps (which can get icy) when I first saw this stuff. It was only later that day when I had problems with the tractor sliding on the trailer ramps and deck that the light bulb went on. If it works for the trailer, I will be applying the same coating to our front steps--- The tractor has ROPS, this old guy... not so much. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

Dave
Hi Dave,
Interesting you should say that - I was thinking about our steep front steps (which can get icy) when I first saw this stuff. It was only later that day when I had problems with the tractor sliding on the trailer ramps and deck that the light bulb went on. If it works for the trailer, I will be applying the same coating to our front steps--- The tractor has ROPS, this old guy... not so much. :laugh:
Ice is ice folks.. Aint gonna really matter IMO what the surface is like, its gonna be slick!! :danger:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts