Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a big fan of the No-Spill fuel cans. I recently purchased a second one for gasoline and noticed they changed a few things on the design.

Like the older ones, the new style has a plastic screen in the opening, although the screen now appears much longer and slightly square shaped. No matter,. these get removed and discarded prior to use to prevent fuel getting splashed in the face during filling at the gas station. :)

Fluid Drinkware Liquid Material property Tints and shades

Grille Rectangle Wood Hood Automotive exterior

Overall the containers are similar but the markings have changed and the color is slightly different.

Gas Magenta Food storage containers Toy Tool

They made significant changes to the heart of the No-Spill container, that is the pour valve. As you can see they changed the shape and size of the button and made the yellow guard "wings" slightly longer. Each wing also now has a rib running through it for more strength. They also removed the metal filter screen from the inside of the pour spout. Perhaps folks were getting gunk in there with no easy way to clean it out. I still prefer the screen.

Tire Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Yellow Audio equipment Automotive lighting Wood

Kitchen utensil Ingredient Machine Audio equipment Drink

Wood Gas Engineering Machine Audio equipment

I haven't had a chance to use the new container yet. Hopefully it works as good as the previous design.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Had two for diesel, no plastic screen. Got two more got no-ethanol gas. Went to fill them and ran into the plastic screen game. And of course, splashed me good. Ripped out the plastic screens and I'm happy again. :)

Just what were they thinking with the plastic screen. Did they even test it with a standard pump/flow ?

·
Registered
660 Posts
The screens are flame arrestors designed to stop explosions within the container. I pull mine out as well. If you use a long thin flat blade screw driver to release the tangs while pulling with plyers, they will usually come out. Great cans btw. I have 1 for gas and 3 for diesel. New model. Love them so far.

·
Premium Member
17,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you remove the plastic screen insert so cleanly? Mine always end up looking like a twisted mess of white plastic. Maybe because I grasp the edge with needle-nose pliers and twist it until it finally comes out. You have obviously found a better way.
I used a pair of large circlip pliers. I was able to insert the pliers and expand them inside the screen and then just pull it straight out. You have to be careful not to pry it out because if you mar the inside lip of the container it can cause it to leak.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Y'all remove the flame arrestors? I knocked them into the can with the pump nozzle as soon as the first blowback happened. The benefit is when they start to rattle I know that the can is getting low.

I understand the idea, but idiots will still pour gas onto a fire no matter what safety devices they have to subvert.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,552 Posts
Pretty sure the in-can flame arrestor is a safety requirement. Of course, not necessary with diesel but you know the government and their regulations.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My diesel fuel can had the fuel arrestor in it when I bought it and the first time filling it, I got splash back that drenched my shirt and pants. I had to immediately go home and shower and change clothes. It was a very bad experience and now I take them out of every can I own.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I have 3 of them and never had gas splash back on me when filling, what am I doing wrong? They still have everything attached.

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
I didn't know anyone actually liked these type of fuel cans.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
I love the old style. Long nozzle and a vent. Don't need to lift push a safety off then push a button in with your thumb and hope your thumb doesn't go numb because it's taking 40 min to empty 5 gallons outa that crazy contraption called easy. Pfft. Easy my hind end.

·
Premium Member
17,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahhh, I get it now, they removed the in-spout flame arrestor and replaced it with an in-can plastic screen that lets fuel splash back when filled. I smell the bean counters at work...
I don't think the in-spout screen was intended to be a flame arrestor. It is a filter to keep chunks of debris from getting in your machine. Flame arrestors are usually placed in the filler necks of fuel containers. The expensive metal Justrite cans have fine metal screens in the filler necks that barely are able to pass fuel. Went to fill one of those at the gas station and became soaked in gasoline from the waste up.

·
Premium Member
17,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had to (begrudgingly) dispose of an old 5gal plastic can given to me 15 years ago by a neighbor that was about 75 at the time.

It had a small threaded vent with cap in the back of the handle and a flexible spout. Best can I ever used.
May I ask why you felt the need to dispose of it? Most of us are actually installing those vents into modern fuel containers to get them to flow properly. :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts