Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, we hear stories like this all of the time. And I'm sure it happens in nearly every industry.

A potential customer used our online chat today to ask about part for his 2012 XUV 550 John Deere Gator. His local dealer quoted him $740 for a high capacity alternator, flywheel and regulator. The customer had the part numbers so I double checked them for him because it just didn't sound right. He had the correct part numbers, but the $740 still blows me away - and that was just the parts, no installation.

John Deere Flywheel MIU13341 = $161.89
John Deere Alternator MIU13342 = $98.11
John Deere Regulator MIU13343 = $36.95

Maybe my calculator is broken, but that comes to under $300 in my book! As someone who has 'bled green' for over 50 years this type of story burns my backside. Grrr.

·
Administrator
17,252 Posts
That does suck!

My dealer has tried a few times to overcharge me (or at least I felt that way) until I pull out a printout from the JDP cart and refuse to pay more. A few other times he was less than JDP (and no I didn't offer to pay more:laugh:)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
That does suck!

My dealer has tried a few times to overcharge me (or at least I felt that way) until I pull out a printout from the JDP cart and refuse to pay more. A few other times he was less than JDP (and no I didn't offer to pay more:laugh:)
I figured you got lifetime free JD parts as part of your "deal" with John Deere:unknown::munch::dance::hornets:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Unfortunately, we hear stories like this all of the time. And I'm sure it happens in nearly every industry.

A potential customer used our online chat today to ask about part for his 2012 XUV 550 John Deere Gator. His local dealer quoted him $740 for a high capacity alternator, flywheel and regulator. The customer had the part numbers so I double checked them for him because it just didn't sound right. He had the correct part numbers, but the $740 still blows me away - and that was just the parts, no installation.

John Deere Flywheel MIU13341 = $161.89
John Deere Alternator MIU13342 = $98.11
John Deere Regulator MIU13343 = $36.95

Maybe my calculator is broken, but that comes to under $300 in my book! As someone who has 'bled green' for over 50 years this type of story burns my backside. Grrr.
I have a neighbor/farmer/friend of mine that gets parts from you guys. He quit going to the dealer unless its a need it 5 minutes ago thing. Then its a search which dealer might have it in stock.. :nunu:

·
Administrator
17,252 Posts
I figured you got lifetime free JD parts as part of your "deal" with John Deere:unknown::munch::dance::hornets:
Yeah I wish I had a deal...

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
Some of these dealers have yet to get a clue about the Internet and its power for price comparisons, and spreading good and bad reviews about their operations.

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Profit is not a dirty word. Every dealer is entitled to set their own pricing policies and live with results. It's a competitive world out there and people are capable and able to shop for themselves. So be it. I recently gave my preferred dealer first shot at my business. He gave me what seemed like a fair deal until I did some shopping. Between the selling price and my trade-in saved myself another ~$4,000. This is some serious $$$. I did give him an opportunity to match the deal but he refused. So what? It's just business.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I haven't purchased a new JD but have had this same experience with autos and campers. Where I get frustrated is when they try to convince you that they will take care of you on the service side if you buy from them. With campers it has gotten so bad that there are dealers that will not do warranty work if you did not purchase from them. Unlike cars, the RV manufacturers will allow this. The problem is, when it comes time for service with cars and campers, even the dealer who sold you the unit may stick it to you. It makes me want to go on a campaign to educate people on how to shop. There are still enough people in the world who will pay retail plus. I am not sure where these people work or how they can afford to do it.

My favorite latest experience- I have an 09 Chrysler minivan. It still had the original rear wiper blade on it. I found out that none of the brands or wiper blades sold at the local big box stores even list the rear wiper for this. I did find some online and I am sure I could have cross-referenced something at a parts store. But, in my experience, if it is oddball enough that Goodyear doesn't list it at the local Costco (they had the front blades) then maybe I should suck it up. So I went to the dealer, I figured a new blade every 85K miles won't kill me. You can imagine my shock when the guy told me that 1 wiper blade was going to be $28! I had a coupon from his website for 15% off, woo hoo..... So I just paid $25 for for a wiper blade. Meanwhile, I replaced the front blades on both of my vehicles for around $30 for 4 wipers! What is wrong with that picture?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Every dealer is entitled to set their own pricing policies and live with results.
I am not so sure this is the case. Are you saying John Deere is fine with guys at the parts counter and the dealership splitting the overcharge? I had a guy who sold replacement windows over the phone state that half the over charge business was real. I am sure there are problems, I hear service managers boast how they break down the work into bite size pieces for the billing to add up the highest but that isn't in the tractor world. Is there anyone on here from Deere to come on and say the company is fine with their dealers operating like the quoted post above.

I personally had them quote me hundreds of dollars for a hammer strap. I just assume they quoted me the offset draw bar by accident. Metric fasteners are a big difference, some places, even branches of the same chain charge by the piece, another by the weight. That one is in the three something dollars a pound for grade 8.8 and another place entirely is like $.65 an ounce.

Back to post ! why does the customer want that stuff? I went to the trouble of pulling the sheet through the dealer I am signed up with and there is no normal output alternator. This is a 2012 model. The alternator came up like $116 for me though whether they would give me 10% off or charge a few cents more in person seems to vary.

edit, From the picture and similar looking stuff I have it is commonly called a stator, my idea of an alternator is like on a vehicle or the size tractor I have, something driven by a belt and a few terminals to attach to the wiring harness.
fran

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have 2 local dealers I use, each one is 20 minutes away in opposite directions. One of them is always a few bucks cheaper than the other, but they are both considerably higher than online prices and they usually won't budge. I can order online from a dealer that's an hour away and even after paying for shipping it's still cheaper. Last month I ordered a bunch of stuff on a stock order from the local dealer through the JD Parts site. It's been four weeks and I still haven't heard from them. No call, no email, nothing. That's probably the last time I'll try to do business with them.

·
Vendor
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not so sure this is the case.
It's true, every dealer sets their own pricing. Most dealers add a matrix to the list price and some (the minority) sell at list price. Very few of us sell below list AND offer online coupons! :good2:

·
Registered
346 Posts
You ordered on the stock order 4 weeks ago? Wow. Stock orders generally take 2 days to come in (at least to us)! Hopefully your next experience, wherever that may be, will be better.
I'm sure it will be, after hearing nothing from the local guys in 4 weeks I gave up and re-ordered the parts from you! I placed the order with Green Farm Parts on 12/30, it shipped on 1/03, and it's scheduled to arrive on 1/05 (tomorrow). I have a question for you while I've got your attention. Can you ship the JD Fuel Protect fuel conditioners? I tried to order a gallon from another place and they said they cannot ship it.

Oh, I almost forgot, I saved $19, and I don't need to burn fuel to pick up the parts.

·
Vendor
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure it will be, after hearing nothing from the local guys in 4 weeks I gave up and re-ordered the parts from you! I placed the order with Green Farm Parts on 12/30, it shipped on 1/03, and it's scheduled to arrive on 1/05 (tomorrow). I have a question for you while I've got your attention. Can you ship the JD Fuel Protect fuel conditioners? I tried to order a gallon from another place and they said they cannot ship it.

Oh, I almost forgot, I saved $19, and I don't need to burn fuel to pick up the parts.
Oh WOW! Cool. Glad to hear it.

Yes, we can ship fuel conditioner, oil, paint, etc (NO BATTERIES), but they can't qualify for free shipping. We have to ship all of those items via UPS since they are classified as an ORM-D. My best advice is to put it with a larger order you may have to ease the shipping pinch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is why I check prices on the web before ordering from the dealer and also shop around.I just ordered up a bunch of parts from the dealer for a 620 Kawasaki rebuild.I priced them from KIG,Kawasaki parts from PSEP then went to the dealer and told him to beat it.He did by about $50 from the next best guy.Same all over I just had to have the water softner repaired,they fixed it but said the power head was next if the fix didnt work.They quoted me $600 for a new one,went on e-bay and can buy new ones all day for $250 shipping and all.I dont have a problem with any buiseness making a fair profit but dont hit me on the head.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My local dealer charges more than list and is now charging a stocking/shipping fee on every item. I have been using Green Farm Parts, great prices, fast friendly service and delivery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My local dealer charges more than list and is now charging a stocking/shipping fee on every item. I have been using Green Farm Parts, great prices, fast friendly service and delivery.
If it is the dealer im thinking it is Mike I stopped in there one time to inquire about a used dozer blade they had and that was enough for me.

·
Vendor
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is why I check prices on the web before ordering from the dealer and also shop around.I just ordered up a bunch of parts from the dealer for a 620 Kawasaki rebuild.I priced them from KIG,Kawasaki parts from PSEP then went to the dealer and told him to beat it.He did by about $50 from the next best guy.Same all over I just had to have the water softner repaired,they fixed it but said the power head was next if the fix didnt work.They quoted me $600 for a new one,went on e-bay and can buy new ones all day for $250 shipping and all.I dont have a problem with any buiseness making a fair profit but dont hit me on the head.
Agreed. In fact, I think someone posted earlier about making a profit too. Everyone in business needs to keep their books in the black and fair should be fair. I just don't like someone taking advantage of a person because they are (for example) 50 miles from the nearest parts source. The internet is a good thing! Now if I can just figure out how to program the clock on my microwave oven.....

·
Registered
375 Posts
It's true, every dealer sets their own pricing. Most dealers add a matrix to the list price and some (the minority) sell at list price. Very few of us sell below list AND offer online coupons! :good2:
I think I kind of got quoted out of context here though it doesn't show the quote. I learned the word matrix here. In order to get a price the way I am used to I have to select my dealer so I would assume there is some variation but it is plugged into the system and John Deere company can monitor and police it if they choose so. This is different than allowing basically anything goes.

As I might have stated in other posts for me it is more the implements that need parts than the tractor itself. With New Holland if I recall correctly it isn't necessary to pick a dealer to get a price and with the exception of one dealership which is about 10% high and virtually everyone knows they aren't for the price conscious (I do think on new machines they shouldn't be passed by in getting a quote) all the others are exactly what is listed. They (New Holland/fiat/whatever corporation they really are) may change the part number and drastically change the price but in my attempt to find one of the old part numbers I guess my results of same price from all except one isn't in line with the folks experience on here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts