Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
12,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bearing noise heard on left front wheel of 997 during 200 hour maintenance by spinning it by hand
and comparing it to the right wheel.
Spun as free as the right wheel, no hang ups, but was noisy.

Pulled the castor down, (an el cheapo 12 ton press does a great job doing this).

Found that one bearing was noisy and one was OK.

The noisy one was curded up with dried grease, the good one still had good grease on it,
but not very much.

Cleaned both with kerosene and repacked with JD *blue* lithium base high moisture environment grease.

Checked both bearings for any hang ups or glitches while rolling in my hands, seemed to be
OK now.

Coated all internal bushings, spacers and axle shaft with Anti-Seize, these parts really
need the anti-seize because they can rust and lock up on the bolt axle.

Reassembled and checked out, no bearing noise, feels good spinning.

Suspect the bearings weren't properly packed with enough grease to start with from the looks of the better
one.
No way should this have happened with just 202 hours had the caster been properly assembled and greased
from the get-go.

Will pull down the right wheel to check, even though it sounds good spinning, suspect not enough grease
on them either.

Might be a good idea to jack up the front end and check the spinning and sound once or twice a year, imho.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
It looks like you avoided a future failure. It's surprising that there isn't a better hub setup on a top-of-the-line machine like yours. It's hard to tell from the photos, which are very nice, by the way: Are there rubber / composite seals protecting the bearings or just the metal end plates?

Good thing you were spinning your wheels ...

·
Old Pa-pa
12,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It looks like you avoided a future failure. It's surprising that there isn't a better hub setup on a top-of-the-line machine like yours. It's hard to tell from the photos, which are very nice, by the way: Are there rubber / composite seals protecting the bearings or just the metal end plates?

Good thing you were spinning your wheels ...
Just metal end caps with felt washers, sure ain't water/moisture proof.
Not a good design all the way around, the hub thickness is really too thin to drill out and tap for a zerk.

Found a bearing number on them and the specs (OD,ID and thickness) matched out the measurements I found with my
caliper micrometer.
No manufacturer name on them and judging by the minimal lubrication, pretty sure they are Chinese crap. :banghead:

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I took a look at JDParts after asking about the seals earlier. I was underwhelmed. Granted, the caster wheels don't do much except carry the front end and swivel, but their design leaves a lot to be desired.

Good thing you don't live near a big swamp where moisture might be a concern. :mocking:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,440 Posts
OC, Good post. :thumbup1gif:
The first time I went to grease our Z915B,,,,, what the hell, no fittings on the front casters.
Our Toro Z-Master had them. :banghead:

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
OC:

Check this link: https://www.grainger.com/product/23Y215?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!166594628855!!!g!82166691597!&ef_id=We5EIQAAAP0s8LQM:20171103175051:s&kwid=productads-adid^166594628855-device^c-plaid^82166691597-sku^23Y215-adType^PLA

It is a link to Granger for bearing number 6205-2RS1 which is the number listed on JD parts along with the JD number. If this is the right size, you should be able to use this number to search for a US made bearing, if the Dayton is not. I have never heard of Dayton bearings.

It looks like the link won't work, but I found it by Googling the 6205-2RS1.

·
Old Pa-pa
12,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OC:

Check this link: https://www.grainger.com/product/23Y215?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!166594628855!!!g!82166691597!&ef_id=We5EIQAAAP0s8LQM:20171103175051:s&kwid=productads-adid^166594628855-device^c-plaid^82166691597-sku^23Y215-adType^PLA

It is a link to Granger for bearing number 6205-2RS1 which is the number listed on JD parts along with the JD number. If this is the right size, you should be able to use this number to search for a US made bearing, if the Dayton is not. I have never heard of Dayton bearings.

It looks like the link won't work, but I found it by Googling the 6205-2RS1.
Houma bearing service about 30 miles down the road handles Timken bearings, they have a very big stock of bearings.
If I ever need a new bearing for anything, I go to them, they never had to order, always in stock.

This is the third thing that bugs me about the 997.

The deck lift bearings are just sleeve pillow block type bearings with no zerks on all four.:banghead:
The owners manual says to pump grease in them from the *Zerks* every grease job.:banghead:
The JD service manual says the same, even a picture of the pillow block with a zerk.:banghead:

I really hate when the bean counters decide to save a few bucks by doing crap like that. :nunu:

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Houma bearing service about 30 miles down the road handles Timken bearings, they have a very big stock of bearings.
If I ever need a new bearing for anything, I go to them, they never had to order, always in stock.

This is the third thing that bugs me about the 997.

The deck lift bearings are just sleeve pillow block type bearings with no zerks on all four.:banghead:
The owners manual says to pump grease in them from the *Zerks* every grease job.:banghead:
The JD service manual says the same, even a picture of the pillow block with a zerk.:banghead:

I really hate when the bean counters decide to save a few bucks by doing crap like that. :nunu:
...and I would be happy to have a u-joint on my 2320 that did not require greasing, because it's so damn hard to get to.:dunno:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Bearing noise heard on left front wheel of 997 during 200 hour maintenance by spinning it by hand

Those castor forks don't resemble the ones on the other Ztraks. Wonder why they went to a thinner and added a metal piece between the spindle and the fork.

·
Registered
12,769 Posts

Pulled the castor down, (an el cheapo 12 ton press does a great job doing this).

Hey, Old Cajon... what are trying to pull? The photo you show of the Z997 front castor fork is not that of a John Deere Z997. The castor forks on those Ztraks are rounded on top and don't have a extra welded metal piece. Unless someone has made a replacement on your machine.
UHUT-O--:eek:hmy: circle the wagons boys-things are about to get good.:munch:why did u take out about his paint not matching right-:munch:inquiring minds wanta know!:lol:

·
Old Pa-pa
12,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Those castor forks don't resemble the ones on the other Ztraks. Wonder why they went to a thinner and added a metal piece between the spindle and the fork.
UHUT-O--:eek:hmy: circle the wagons boys-things are about to get good.:munch:why did u take out about his paint not matching right-:munch:inquiring minds wanta know!:lol:
Well hell, let me see if I can square you two Bozos off. :laugh:

The fork pic I took was with it in the going reverse travel direction, it's the standard 997 Z Trak fork, here are two
pics I grabbed off the net of two different 997's. :thumbup1gif:

The *L* plate between the spindle and fork adjusts the "Angle of dangle" of the fork with respect
to the perpendicular spindle shaft.......So to speak.

:lol:

Attachments

·
Old Pa-pa
12,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pulled the right side caster down, found the two bearings very lacking in adequate grease.
Cleaned both and repacked.
Ma Deere should step up her game or whatever vendor they get the wheels from should step up their game.......Just saying. :hi:

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,440 Posts
Well hell, let me see if I can square you two Bozos off. :laugh:

The fork pic I took was with it in the going reverse travel direction, it's the standard 997 Z Trak fork, here are two
pics I grabbed off the net of two different 997's. :thumbup1gif:

The *L* plate between the spindle and fork adjusts the "Angle of dangle" of the fork with respect
to the perpendicular spindle shaft.......So to speak.

Cheap, I tell ya. :lol:
I believe the forks on our Z915B are cast.
I bet we have better bearings too. :lol:

You are doing a nice job though. :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
21,130 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Nice little tour through your preventative activity OC.

You all know of course that these are commodity bearings and when RS or ZZ is specified (rubber shield or metal shield) that grease is normally included in the bearing. Most often when an open bearing is purchased they are only rust preventative coated and will require cleaning and lubricating in the field.

The amount of grease introduced into RS and ZZ bearings must take into account utilizing the bearing at possible maximum rpm conditions. A full up grease pack into a sealed bearing would pop the seals out at high speed. This is why the amount in theses bearings seems so minuscule.

When replacing bearings that have double seals in applications where very low rpm and very high resistance to moisture ingress is the duty then it is the technicians responsibility to remove a seal and load the bearing with grease and replace the seal.

I feel Deere should have provided a Zerk purge path through this assembly as a best practice, taken the time to overfill the sealed bearings as a next best.

Good thing is OC has made this thread so other owners can get on top of this engineering shortfall take care of their machine proactively.

·
Old Pa-pa
12,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Cheap, I tell ya. :lol:
I believe the forks on our Z915B are cast.
I bet we have better bearings too. :lol:

You are doing a nice job though. :thumbup1gif:
Yup, but it's still just a little, puny Z915B gasoline powered, toy looking mower as compared to the
massive, diesel powered, majestic looking 997.................Not to be putting your little Z915B down in any way. :lol:

"You are doing a nice job though".
I hear that quite often, especially from the *wimmins*. :lol::lol:

Attachments

·
Old Pa-pa
12,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Nice little tour through your preventative activity OC.

You all know of course that these are commodity bearings and when RS or ZZ is specified (rubber shield or metal shield) that grease is normally included in the bearing. Most often when an open bearing is purchased they are only rust preventative coated and will require cleaning and lubricating in the field.

The amount of grease introduced into RS and ZZ bearings must take into account utilizing the bearing at possible maximum rpm conditions. A full up grease pack into a sealed bearing would pop the seals out at high speed. This is why the amount in theses bearings seems so minuscule.

When replacing bearings that have double seals in applications where very low rpm and very high resistance to moisture ingress is the duty then it is the technicians responsibility to remove a seal and load the bearing with grease and replace the seal.

I feel Deere should have provided a Zerk purge path through this assembly as a best practice, taken the time to overfill the sealed bearings as a next best.

Good thing is OC has made this thread so other owners can get on top of this engineering shortfall take care of their machine proactively.
Would imagine the wheels are vendor bought and all Deere does is slap them on at the assembly plant.
Don't really expect them to press them apart, grease them properly and press them back together, would cost too
many man hours to do it right.

They should at least put a bunch of anti-seize on the *bolt* axle, which they don't do.
Since the spacers and bushings are regular iron, they can rust and seize the bolt axle big time.

When I first received the machine 3 years ago, one of the first things I did was pull the casters down after finding
no zerks, then lubricate the inner workings with Permatex anti-seize, glad I did that because things were starting to rust up right out of the box.

My one mistake was not opening up the bearings while everything was apart and looking at them, just
assumed they were OK. :banghead:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Old Cajon, At first glance, I thought you may have posted a different picture of a front caster fork, as the paint color didn't seem to be the famous John Deere green color and the way the fork was made. You know that John Deere has a patient on that famous "stamped design" caster fork, and they are proud as hell about it.. I wonder what got into their mind to take a 1" or so wide piece of metal and curve it into a fork like shape and weld a spindle and bracket to it. Surely, the patient didn't elapse and they could no longer get it renewed.

Here is a couple pictures of a 2017 JDZ920M with the standard (or older) caster forks.

BTW> If any of the members here ever have or need to adjust the "linkage" on the deck lift, you "CAN'T". The linkage looks ..appears to look like it can be adjusted. I tried that and broke the linkage back at the rear rod that threads into the larger rod. John Deere clamped the thread down on each end. Don't knw why they would do that. The new parts...all three sections cost $30.00.

Anyway, back to the bearing(s) problem. Here's a true story that a John Deere dealer parts guy gave me years ago when I had the same problem when one side wheel bearing went bad. He said it was my fault. Because I was mowing my yard the wrong way. Yes, that is what he said, and I ask him to repeat those words. The dealer refuse the parts guy request to have me arrested for hitting him in the left jaw.
Sad thing I did to the guy... but, his remarks didn't set too well with me, as how did he know which way I was mowing my yards. Wise crack guy did have some dental work to get done.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,440 Posts
Yup, but it's still just a little, puny Z915B gasoline powered, toy looking mower as compared to the
massive, diesel powered, majestic looking 997.................Not to be putting your little Z915B down in any way. :lol:

I hear that quite often, especially from the *wimmins*. :lol::lol:
12793106-Shy-emoticon-Stock-Vector-smiley-face-cartoon.jpg ...................................:doorclose:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts