Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has a bigger tractor than mine and when he got a 72" RFM he let me have this 60" Sitrex RFM he'd been using.

IMG_0261.JPG

I wasn't familiar with the brand but he bought it new and used it several years and it's in good shape and operates well. The only problem is it is the noisiest machine I have ever used.

He says it was always noisey and he just learned to live with it. I'm not sure I can. It is louder than my tractor. I have checked over everything on it, nothing is overly tight or binding, none of the bearings or gearbox gets hot, it seems to be just gear noise from the gearbox. I changed the oil in it, it calls for SAE 80-90 weight gear oil, I put this in it hoping it might help

IMG_0301.JPG

but it made no difference. I'm now wondering if maybe a heavier weight oil might help quieten it down. Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,601 Posts
spferdil--I am a big believer in STP-oil additive-I have used it in about everything I've owned all my working and driving yrs. I suppose some good Lucas additive would work too. try it what do u have to lose-right!!

Reactions: spferdil

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spferdil--I am a big believer in STP-oil additive-I have used it in about everything I've owned all my working and driving yrs. I suppose some good Lucas additive would work too. try it what do u have to lose-right!!
Thanks for that Jim, I also used to use STP additives a lot but hadn't thought about it lately. I'll look into that. I've had good luck in recent years with Amsoil products but didn't help this one.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My '95 Chevy Suburban ALWAYS had a howl from the rearend at certain speeds,,,
Annoying,,, :dunno:

I changed to Mobil I synthetic,,, the howl is G O N E !! :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: spferdil
1 - 4 of 4 Posts