Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on buying a 1025r and a rotary tiller. I also want to get an I-match for easy hook up. I've been looking at the Frontier rt1142 and the 647. I was surfing the Mutton power web store and noticed the 1142 states that it's I-match compatible and the 647 doesn't mention anything. I couldn't see why 647 wouldn't be. Then it dawned on me that the PTO shaft might have to be longer because of the I-match. Does the 1142 pto shaft telescope out further to accommodate the I-match and the 647 doesn't, or is that assumption totally wrong? Also, another noob question. Do these two tillers even include the pto shaft or are they extra? Thanks.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I plan on buying a 1025r and a rotary tiller. I also want to get an I-match for easy hook up. I've been looking at the Frontier rt1142 and the 647. I was surfing the Mutton power web store and noticed the 1142 states that it's I-match compatible and the 647 doesn't mention anything. I couldn't see why 647 wouldn't be. Then it dawned on me that the PTO shaft might have to be longer because of the I-match. Does the 1142 pto shaft telescope out further to accommodate the I-match and the 647 doesn't, or is that assumption totally wrong? Also, another noob question. Do these two tillers even include the pto shaft or are they extra? Thanks.
So the tiller comes with the drive lines. To hook up to tractor. One I set-up I had to cut drive line to get it to fit on a tractor with no quick hitch. I believe the drive line might be long enough to use with a quick hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
If you read the description for the 647 on the Mutton site the last line reads "The ability to use the iMatch connector allows for a quick and easy attachment and removal of the 647 Tiller."

Most 3pt attachments come with a telescoping PTO shaft and they need to be cut to length for your specific machine. If you have an iMatch, you just need to cut them a few inches longer. I've found that if I cut them to fit the iMatch, they will still collapse enough to use them without teh iMatch if I ever want to do that.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you read the description for the 647 on the Mutton site the last line reads "The ability to use the iMatch connector allows for a quick and easy attachment and removal of the 647 Tiller."

Most 3pt attachments come with a telescoping PTO shaft and they need to be cut to length for your specific machine. If you have an iMatch, you just need to cut them a few inches longer. I've found that if I cut them to fit the iMatch, they will still collapse enough to use them without teh iMatch if I ever want to do that.
Ok, thanks. So the pto shafts come long and then are custom cut to fit. Makes sense. Is that something the dealer does when you buy or is that expected to be done at home?

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
Ok, thanks. So the pto shafts come long and then are custom cut to fit. Makes sense. Is that something the dealer does when you buy or is that expected to be done at home?
Likely depends how you purchase the item. If it's bought with a new tractor, I would expect it to be set up when I got the equipment. If the PTO item is purchased separately, then it's likely left up to the consumer to cut so make sure it fits their application.

Also depends on the dealer.......some are much better than others. If you are dealing with Mutton's, as I saw that mentioned, they tend to do things right and well so I would expect them to either have it done or assist you.

·
Premium Member
13,828 Posts
If you search on YouTube you'll see many videos on properly cutting a PTO shaft, it's quite simple but it does have to be done right. :good2:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Likely depends how you purchase the item. If it's bought with a new tractor, I would expect it to be set up when I got the equipment. If the PTO item is purchased separately, then it's likely left up to the consumer to cut so make sure it fits their application.

Also depends on the dealer.......some are much better than others. If you are dealing with Mutton's, as I saw that mentioned, they tend to do things right and well so I would expect them to either have it done or assist you.
I'm planning on buying everything I want at the dealer when I purchase the tractor, so I can take advantage of the 0% financing for the whole bundle. A tiller, forks for the loader, I-match, quick hitch for trailer moving, suit case weights, etc. I've been trying to get prices and specs for everything I want and to get an idea of how much I'll be spending, hence the web store surfing.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
I'm planning on buying everything I want at the dealer when I purchase the tractor, so I can take advantage of the 0% financing for the whole bundle. A tiller, forks for the loader, I-match, quick hitch for trailer moving, suit case weights, etc. I've been trying to get prices and specs for everything I want and to get an idea of how much I'll be spending, hence the web store surfing.
If I were doing that, when I was placing the order with the dealer I'd ask if they would cut them for me but, I'd ask if they'd walk me through it once or twice. As mentioned, there are a bunch of videos on how to do it and it seems complicated but, once you do it it turns out that it's pretty easy.

I'm pretty sure my dealer would have been happy to let me watch and have their guys walk me through it. I ended up cutting my first one on my own and was pretty concerned I was going to mess it up. Then I just cut it and when I got done I remember thinking "So that was it?".

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Everything Attachments has an excellent YouTube video on cutting PTO shafts.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything Attachments has an excellent YouTube video on cutting PTO shafts.
Yeah, I just watched it. He does a pretty good job explaining. I've seen a bunch of their other vids, seems like a nice bunch of folks.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Even if your dealer does it make sure you check it before 1st use, lots of damage can be caused by a to long PTO shaft. Seems like there are more and more threads about dealer screw ups on new machines lately.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I had and used my 647 tiller before I bought my IMatch. I had followed the directions and shortened the tiller shaft. When I acquired the IMatch I was concerned that the tiller shaft would now be too short but that doesn't seem to be the case.

After reading about all of the fitment issues with the new style IMatch hitches, I decided that I wanted the old style unit with the fixed top hook. My dealer had both styles available. I'm glad that I got the old style.

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
back when i bought my 2006 2520 mcut, i also got a I-match and a they talked me into a 4ft brush hog back then. but everything i bought there , they cut my driveshaft for each. free, along with the purchase. that dealer was the same one OldmanX-had used till they was made join the big boys store that we have to use now.

but last yr i bought a 3 pt spreader, they cut the pto shaft for me at the new store, also no charge. heck Charley boy and i walked in to the new show room, to look around, and till we came back out, my tractor and spreader was loaded back onto my trailer for me. i just had to tie it back down. i was very happy that day. so yeah-i think ur dealer will cut ur drive :bigthumb:lines for ya.

Reactions: jimmylh
1 - 14 of 14 Posts