Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some current pictures from central PA. About 15" down now and they are saying another 12".
This will be a test for the 1025r with 54" snow blower.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,247 Posts
Here are some current pictures from central PA. About 15" down now and they are saying another 12".
This will be a test for the 1025r with 54" snow blower.
Howdy! I'm over here in Marysville and in some places due to the drifting I only have 12" showing on my 4-foot driveway markers. I have a 2720 with a 54" blower in front and a 60" blade in the rear but the challenge today will be the wind. It's coming from the direction that I need to blow the snow. :-( I really envy the guys with cabs right now.

It's snows like this that make me wish I had gone with a rear 3PH blower as the height of the 54" frame is actually lower than my old MTD walk-behind. So it's not the greatest for chewing thru deep drifts.

My plan is to go out around Noon and have a go at a first pass.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would seriously consider going out now and blowing, then again after the rest falls. It will be much easier than trying to move 32" of the white stuff.
It would probably be best, although, it is snowing extremely hard and it is so windy so the challenge is the wind right now.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Howdy! I'm over here in Marysville and in some places due to the drifting I only have 12" showing on my 4-foot driveway markers. I have a 2720 with a 54" blower in front and a 60" blade in the rear but the challenge today will be the wind. It's coming from the direction that I need to blow the snow. :-( I really envy the guys with cabs right now.

It's snows like this that make me wish I had gone with a rear 3PH blower as the height of the 54" frame is actually lower than my old MTD walk-behind. So it's not the greatest for chewing thru deep drifts.

My plan is to go out around Noon and have a go at a first pass.
I'm in Dauphin County north of Harrisburg. I here ya. The wind is the challenge, not to mention it is snowing at about 2" per hour. I had thought about a cab but thought, ah, we don't get that much snow!!!!! haha.
Well, the cab would sure be nice now, although, we get a snow like this once in 10 years so I guess I'll just deal with it.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Ray, you will be allright, we had a storm here 2 years ago got like 32". I waited until it was over due to wind. Using a 2305 w/ a 47" blower I had to go slow let the blower eat the snow....There were times when the blower was under the snow and only the top of the chute was sticking out....The tractor never stopped. Your blower is bigger so you will have to go even slower, but that said you will be amazed at what it can do. Wish I had a picture, hope you will post one when you get going. Good luck!!!!!!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Before I had a cab I would wear a snowmobile suit and helmet with a faceshield. I would be covered from head to toe with snow.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I would seriously consider going out now and blowing, then again after the rest falls. It will be much easier than trying to move 32" of the white stuff.
^^great advice right there^^^

Went out last night at 1000 with the walk behind snowblower, then again this morning. may go out this afternoon for another pass.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ray, you will be allright, we had a storm here 2 years ago got like 32". I waited until it was over due to wind. Using a 2305 w/ a 47" blower I had to go slow let the blower eat the snow....There were times when the blower was under the snow and only the top of the chute was sticking out....The tractor never stopped. Your blower is bigger so you will have to go even slower, but that said you will be amazed at what it can do. Wish I had a picture, hope you will post one when you get going. Good luck!!!!!!!
Thanks for the experience. I agree, slow and steady with a snow blower!!!
Update pictures. The front license plate on my truck is now covered. That's about 3" in the last hour. Visibility is maybe 200' right now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before I had a cab I would wear a snowmobile suit and helmet with a faceshield. I would be covered from head to toe with snow.
I'm jealous!!!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,486 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Me too, but any more that 20" is a PITA. It starts to get scary with roof loads and such.
I hear ya!!! This is crazy!! One thing, I'm not sure roof loads are going to be a problem as the wind is pretty much blowing the snow off the roofs, at least most of it.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I gave myself a time of noon to head out and clobber the driveway.
I'll be getting hammered on the whole time but i should get a jump start on it.
Gotta go into work tomorrow so i won't have the day after option.
We have to have 18" or more already.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Thanks for the experience. I agree, slow and steady with a snow blower!!!
Update pictures. The front license plate on my truck is now covered. That's about 3" in the last hour. Visibility is maybe 200' right now.
Why did I click on this thread? I KNEW what it was!! I'm SO JEALOUS!!
I hear ya JD. Me and my $4,000.00 plus used once 54" snowblower are white with envy. All our snow has melted after a 2" down pour last night.:bigbeer: Guess I'll prune some fruit trees.

·
Premium Member
12,247 Posts
I'm in Dauphin County north of Harrisburg. I here ya. The wind is the challenge, not to mention it is snowing at about 2" per hour. I had thought about a cab but thought, ah, we don't get that much snow!!!!! haha.
Well, the cab would sure be nice now, although, we get a snow like this once in 10 years so I guess I'll just deal with it.
Well.... at 11:30am I went out. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer. The snow in the driveway was around 30" and I had about a 50 yard trek to the garage. I didn't think I was going to make it. The first few steps I said to myself SH--!!! I had to use a shovel to steady myself and sort of force my feet thru the snow. If this stuff was heavier we would be SCREWED. Thank goodness I went out Thursday night and turned the tractor around so the blower was facing outward as the snow was nearly chest-high drifted in front of the garage door.

The 2720 fired right up and I started inching my way thru the snow. The 54" blower did better than expected given that the snow was 2 1/2 times the height of the blower. In some places it was 10+ inches above the drift cutters. In my 40+ years of using a snow blower of one variety or the other this was only about the 3-4th time that you really needed the drift cutters.

In 3 hrs I did my driveway and one of the neighbors before my feet started getting too cold and I had to pack it in. The entire tractor and blower looks like one gigantic snowman.

I think I'm going to wait now until it tapers off. No matter what happens I certainly won't have 30" in the driveway again. Thank goodness I didn't wait another hour.

Just pray nothing breaks.

·
Premium Member
12,247 Posts
I hear ya!!! This is crazy!! One thing, I'm not sure roof loads are going to be a problem as the wind is pretty much blowing the snow off the roofs, at least most of it.
Yep! We hardly have any snow on the roof as it is all blowing off. Again, thank goodness this stuff is fluffy. I know it drifts a lot but if it were wet and heavy it would be 100 times worse.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, did a few hours of blowing snow. Not finished but at least got some moved. It's still snowing like mad . uploadfromtaptalk1453579731981.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1453579743699.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
Stay warm

1 - 20 of 88 Posts