Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to watch some plowing at plow day sponsored by the North Jersey Antique Engine & Machine club last weekend. There were a couple JDs there. Figured I would share some pictures. Not all JD, but nice old machines none the less

Attachments

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
thanks for the pics.:bigthumb: look's like u had fun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks for the pics.:bigthumb: look's like u had fun.
For just watching, yes. It was a little damp from previous 2 days of rain, but not sloppy. I thought they would have trouble, but no one got stuck. Some tire spinning, but working brakes, adjusting draft, etc. the field got plowed with no issues. I have never pulled big plows, besides my dad's single bottom wheeled plow behind a Oliver crawler in soft dry black dirt, and saw that it's not just hooking up and going full bore. Takes skill, knowledge of your capabilities and field conditions.
My 21 year old went with me, and even he realized it was not that easy whether you are pulling a single bottom like the 8N or a 4 bottom like the 70.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Thanks for the pics

Plowing is something I always wanted to do. It's the one thing grandpa wouldn't let us try.

Watching him with the 1066 and a five bottom plow was fun. In the clay soil we had it really made that tractor snort.

Reactions: etcallhome
1 - 6 of 6 Posts