Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have in the past couple of years cleared thicket and shrub to make additional pasture for my CFO's horses. As the grass/pasture area has expanded so has the bill for traditional type fertilizer and weed control. Besides, granules don't work well with horses and by the time you wait the 6-8 weeks for the granules to dissolve, half the summer is over here in WI. We used and still use Milorganite for fertilizer but Milorganite doesn't know the difference between fescue, dandelions or lamb ear and feeds them all.

With that said, I did my research over the winter for a sprayer. I knew I wanted something with a boom but wasn't sure if I wanted an ATV or trailer style. That wasn't until I saw a posting on MTF by royrector. So below is my sprayer build. Again, this is not an orginal idea of my own but information I gained here and other forums and this seems to be the best fit for me. I decided I like the idea behind NorthStar's broadcast lance nozzle versus a boom since I would not have to worry about trees or fence posts as much since nothing was extending further beyond the width of my tractor.

I was able to find a brand new 26 gallon ATV style on Craigslist even though a 16 would have probably been sufficient. I have used it 3 times since we purchased and so far am quite happy with it.

Went to the local Fastenal store and purchased 6 ft of 2 x 2 square tubing, made my measurements, cut the tubing to length and welded. (please go easy on the weld comments):flag_of_truce:

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Primed, painted and added 2 x 2 end caps.

Don't get jealous of my state of the art paint booth.

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Final fitup and electrical connectors. I replaced the alligator clamps with a cigarette style outlet and am using a 10 amp fuse (blew through both 5 and 7.5's).

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Final results...

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
sprayer mount

Great job on that sprayer. I thought of building one like that myself. great inspiration for me. the welds look fine, as good as mine...

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
Nice write-up! Thanks for pics and instructions.:thumbup1gif: The welds look fine from here.:hi:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
That worked out great! I have a trailer-mounted one I pull behind my lawn mower. Or I should say, I used to have a trailer mounted one. After seeing this build, I'm going to weld up a mount to just use it with the new 2520. :thumbup1gif:

Thanks for posting this!!!!!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Randy D agrees with Andy B....:tongue: I used to have a trailer mounted one now too. I like it alot. So...now that I'm going to copy the copier,I gots some questions.How wide does that nozzle spray and is it pretty even coverage? Where do you get the 2x2 plastic plugs?...those are slick and makes it look professional. Thanks!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for the kind words (especially on the welds).

Randy D agrees with Andy B....:tongue: I used to have a trailer mounted one now too. I like it alot. So...now that I'm going to copy the copier,I gots some questions.How wide does that nozzle spray and is it pretty even coverage? Where do you get the 2x2 plastic plugs?...those are slick and makes it look professional. Thanks!
Randy D,
The broadcast lance nozzle is rated at 14 ft when placed 3 ft off the ground and the coverage is consistent. Since my sprayer is attached to the HeavyHitch, I have determined that setting 5 (I believe) on the 3pt control is three feet off the ground and have tinkered abit with other heights such as 3 to bring down the coverage to around 8-9 ft. I need to play with a little more since changing that coverage also affect mix ratio (not to mention speed). I should have also explained that the final picture was the spray wand which is rated at 19 ft.

Here is a link to the sprayer at Northern Tool in case anyone is interested in the specs of the sprayer...
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200347993_200347993

And regarding the 2x2 plastic plugs...just send me a private message with your mailing address and I can send you 4. When I was looking around, I found the best price from McMaster Carr but I had to order a bag of 25. So I certainly can send some out in snail mail rather than members having to buy 25 or pay $2-3 a piece for them.

lost

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Overall I like the concept, and the 2x2 plugs give it a finishing touch. Nice touch with the cigarette lighter plug for powering the pump. The welds look a bit cold to me; but should be fine with only 25-gallons bearing down on them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very nice. That's what I like about tractor people. If it is broke, we fix it. If no one makes it, we make it ourself. :cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts