Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I did not want to have to hunt too far and work to hard finding a place to ask this question so forgive me for posting it here since this is not a JD garden tractor but I figured maybe you guys would know a site where someone would want this 1964 Custom 600 Sears Garden tractor. The model on it is 917.99510. The owner in Ringwood NJ is looking for someone to pick it up (its for free) or it is going out for scrap. This is the CL link to it and there are a couple of pictures he has posted. Sears Garden Tractor Not running needs work. Maybe Motor. I looked up the model # and found it on this site Customs and there are some pictures of one and this pretty much matches those pictures which he has for that model #. It looks like a project but if someone is into vintage Sears garden tractors this may be a taker. I would find it fun but I do not have the time. I don't have time to use my 990 and that is more fun.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
The Vintage Section is only for John Deere Vintage L&G tractors and equipment, so I moved this to the Non-Deere Tractor section.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T-Mo,

No problem, I didn't know where to put it, I thought about putting it here but also wondered how many garden tractor types looks here for things like this.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,554 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I love the old Sears garden tractors and mowers. Have had at least a couple dozen over the years. I even have my great grandmother's '69 10XL she bought new with a 36" deck. She cut 3 acres with it every week till 2004 and it is still going strong.

·
Registered
740 Posts
My grandfather bought a '68 Sears Suburban 14 horse and passed it down to my dad who is in turn passing it down to me this coming spring. Not a single summer has gone by where it hasn't had to mow at least an acre parcel and it has yet to disappoint. If I couldn't have my old John Deere, an old Sears would be my second choice without hesitation. The frame on that old SS14 is twice as thick as the frame on my F150 and far thicker than the stamped sheet metal frames of newer lawn tractors.

There is a forum for old Sears tractors. I believe it is called the "Sears Suburban backyard tractor club" and those guys really know their stuff. Good luck fixing it up!

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
My grandfather bought a '68 Sears Suburban 14 horse and passed it down to my dad who is in turn passing it down to me this coming spring. Not a single summer has gone by where it hasn't had to mow at least an acre parcel and it has yet to disappoint. If I couldn't have my old John Deere, an old Sears would be my second choice without hesitation. The frame on that old SS14 is twice as thick as the frame on my F150 and far thicker than the stamped sheet metal frames of newer lawn tractors.

There is a forum for old Sears tractors. I believe it is called the "Sears Suburban backyard tractor club" and those guys really know their stuff. Good luck fixing it up!
You might want to post a pic or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
I believe this is a 1970 Hydro-Trac 12 Sears that was at a local JD dealer old tractor show a couple yrs. ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
Dropped a freshly charged battery in this morning and it fired right up! All it needs is a new mandrel on the #3 blade to be ready for it's 46th mowing season.

image.jpg

Good luck with yours!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts