Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went to move my H120 FEL outside today to install Kenny's hooks on the bucket and I am not able to hook up the black and yellow quick connects. I push as hard as I can, but I cannot get the ring on the female portion of the connection to snap in place. I think I've isolated the problem. I tried plugging the red and blue male connections (H120 side) into the tractors yellow and black connections (1026 side). they latch perfectly. When I try to plug the yellow or back male connections (H120) into the red/blue connections (1026) they won't work. Seems that the nipple on the end of the yellow/black lines will not release inward to allow the ring to seat. I was able to attach the H120 to the tractor with just the red/blue lines hooked up, but yellow/black controls curl. Seems to me to be too much pressure built up in the curl circuit in the FEL, but not sure why or how to resolve?

·
Administrator
21,589 Posts
It is pressure in the lines that causes this problem 99.9% of the time. It usually happens when you take the FEL off when its cooler outside, and then as the temperature rises so does the pressure in the lines making it impossible to re-connect the QD's. Another common cause is that the loader has shifted or the bucket has bled down a little while it was stored. Here are two fix's:

1) Try wrapping a rag of the male QD nipple, then pressing it firmly (wear gloves) against the loader frame so you get a "spurt" of fluid out of it. You will now be able to connect it.

2) If #1 does not work then you will have to grab two wrenches and loosen the QD nipple allowing some fluid to escape-again wrap a rag over everything and wear gloves. The fluid is under high pressure and you do not want it injected into your skin!

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Might try (with the tractor OFF) jiggling the loader controls on the tractor as well, just in case you bumped it and built up pressure, but like Kenny said, 99% of the time it's on the side from the change in pressure/temperature outside and has built up pressure and makes them a real pain to get on and off. Sometimes I think that it would be quicker if they gave you a couple wrenches with the tractor and said screw it on and off when there's pressure built up.

As Kenny said though, when trying to relieve the pressure, take extreme caution. You don't want to have that stuff come squirting out and take a layer of skin off.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my H120 FEL. When my tractor was in the shop, the FEL sat for 4 weeks outside on the dirt, and I'm sure it shifted/settled during that time. I actually tried the same thing, plugging them into the other ports, and no dice. Trying to shift the FEL was not an option, couldn't budge it.

What I did was just muscle them in, (with gloves of course). You can't really get a lot of leverage from the side, so I put one hand around the back/tractor side and positioned myself a close as I could behind the female fittings and pulled toward me. I had to pull straight and hard and they finally hooked up.

Thanks Kenny for your ideas, I may have to try one of those tricks the next time this happens.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Be careful bud. You have some serious things that can happen from fluid squirting under high pressure to your loader moving after the fluid comes out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, all good posts. I'm off to try Kenny's idea, makes sense. The loader was dismounted around Thanksgiving and has sat in the garage since so it was a cold day and now its warm. Funny how its just one circut, not both. But atleast I could get it mounted to the tractor.

BTW, hooks went on great. I'll post about that later.

·
Administrator
21,589 Posts
Might try (with the tractor OFF) jiggling the loader controls on the tractor as well, just in case you bumped it and built up pressure,
Ah yes, I forgot to mention that-Thanks:good2:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks guys, all good posts. I'm off to try Kenny's idea, makes sense. The loader was dismounted around Thanksgiving and has sat in the garage since so it was a cold day and now its warm. Funny how its just one circut, not both. But atleast I could get it mounted to the tractor.

BTW, hooks went on great. I'll post about that later.
Black & Yellow are your curl/dump circut. I have trouble with them sometimes to. good luck

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Just wrap a towel around fitting and press the tip against a piece of wood or something through the towel. That will relieve the pressure and keep you from getting spray back.

Doesn't take much. I have done it 100 times on skidsteer attachments.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried option 1 and no joy. Pressed with all of my lovely 205 lb's against tip against side of loader (with rag in between) and could not get either to vent. Switched to option 2 and it worked. Draped rag over connection, but it didn't spray out, just leaked out. Had to do each one separately and they plugged right in. I forgot to monitor for leaks while loader was mounted, but after dismounting it I noticed a decent puddle of fluid on the top of the MMM. Wrenched one of the two connections later and it moved just slightly.

I had cycled the SCV many many times, read the manuals a few times and no luck prior to posting.

Thanks again GTT. Outstanding info. This place rocks.

Oh yeah, hooks on and I'll post later.

·
Administrator
21,589 Posts
Cool, glad you got them attached:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
NTTTG, glad to hear you solved your problem.

Now I'll ask the experts, is there any way to prevent this pressure lock-up when storing a hydraulic implement? or having to carry wrenches, or rag and piece of wood, etc. ready every time I go to connect up my FEL?

The only thing I can think of right off the bat, without having to break the threaded connection every so often, would be to rig up 2 sets of female couplings connected back to back. After taking off my FEL, I could connect up both ends of each cylinder. After storing, any pressure built up either by shifting or temperature would be relieved when I disconnect the "jumpers" just before connecting back to the tractor.

What do you think? :unknown:

·
Administrator
21,589 Posts

Now I'll ask the experts, is there any way to prevent this pressure lock-up when storing a hydraulic implement? or having to carry wrenches, or rag and piece of wood, etc. ready every time I go to connect up my FEL?
Short answer, no-not really.

The only thing I can think of right off the bat, without having to break the threaded connection every so often, would be to rig up 2 sets of female couplings connected back to back. After taking off my FEL, I could connect up both ends of each cylinder. After storing, any pressure built up either by shifting or temperature would be relieved when I disconnect the "jumpers" just before connecting back to the tractor.

Tom, that would work...but most of the time it's not bad enough to need the wrench's-pressing against the loader frame works. Plus you would need 4 female QD's, that will get pricey.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Plus you would need 4 female QD's, that will get pricey.
Yeah, but a few dollars spent for a labor savings device, shouldn't be too bad, and sometimes I like experimenting to see if my ideas really would work.:laugh:

And Hey, don't you know someone that just won the big mega-millions?:lol:

·
Premium Member
792 Posts

Your best bet is to always be sure you relieve all the hydraulic pressure before you disconnect the lines. Put it down, turn the tractor of and give the loader a good 'wigglin' forward back, side side. I'm know to do so as well, but a lot of times if you don't completely relieve the valves before disconnecting you won't be able to get it back on. They are relatively easy to get off because of the pressure wanting to push them apart, but on is a different story.

At least when possible try to store it inside of a barn/shed or at least in a shady/cooler area. A lot of times this pressure may have been built up by heat expanding the fluid and creating the same sort of pressure build up. If you leave it in the shade or preferably indoors you will be escaping the direct heat of the sun. Consequently, sometimes a cool summer morning will be easier to hook up something than a hot afternoon due to the heat expansion.

Another way I've heard, seen and used is a caulk gun. I've used it a couple times and it seems to work really well. You slide the hose in the end where the tip would come out and squeeze the trigger until you relieve the pressure. I've found this to be a little safer as well because your hands aren't right next to the line.

As far as an end all be all solution, there really is none. It's one of those gimmicky things you have to deal with and you'll get better with time.

·
Premium Member
9,414 Posts
I have the same trouble with my grapple when it's off for a while. My solution is to mount a pair of female couplers to the lid of a 5 gallon pail and connect the grapple to the pail when it's off. I am hoping the MultiCoupler eliminates this problem with my 640 loader. MutiCoupler is on, but I have not removed the loader yet. Picture is start of project. I was waiting for ORFS to JIC adapters so I could connect the hoses when the picture was taken. Notice how JD marked the connections with colored plastic rings.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Adjust the connectors

Here is what I did. Even after all pressure was equalized, the connectors were angled wrong for an easy fit. With the tractor turned off and all pressure equal. I used two wrenches to loosen the hydraulic lines one at a time where they mate up with the second half of the lines. (Further toward the bucket where the protective mesh sock ends). Once loosened, I readjusted the lines and now all 4 are angled the same way for a very easy fit. Then re-connect the lines and you are in business. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hydraulic connection problem with FEL

Thanks for the information about releasing the pressure on the FEL side of the lines. I had my FEL on several times this past winter to move snow that became too deep to plow. The last time I took it off it was probably below freezing here in the NE. Today I went to reinstall the loader, it was in the low 70's, and I could not connect any of the four lines. I tried wrapping the male end of the connection in a towel, as suggested, and pressing it firmly against the loader, and no luck with any of the 4 lines. Being an impatient person, I got a pair of channel lock pliers, and put one end on the back side of the connection, and the other on the male tip. After wrapping the first one completely in a towel, I squeezed the pliers and could not believe the amount of pressure and fluid that was released from the line. The other 3 seemed to get progressively easier. But a word to the wise, cover the hose end completely before trying this solution. AND HOLD ON!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
How about getting 4 female connectors 4 ball valves 4 6" nipples and 4 caps.
When you plan on storing for a long period of time pop the valves on and when it comes time to use it again just crack the valves to relieve the pressure oil will stay contained in the nipple then close valve and disconnect.

Reactions: Kloudbuster
1 - 20 of 31 Posts