Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely love GFP, the fast and free shipping for orders over $75 and their courteous sales professionals, but I'm just a tad grumpy about losing $40 to return two items that cost $101, which were part of a $135 order. I should have just tossed one of the items in the trash ($48 item) and saved on the return shipping or sold them on ebay! It cost me over $20 to UPS the package back and then I lost approx. $20 of the refund due to the outgoing shipping fee of the original order becoming a charge since I returned part of the order even though I sent through another order of $170 to order the correct items (threw in another $91 item). If I split up the most recent $170 order, it would have been $82 and $91, both qualifying for free shipping.

Basically, any $ that I may have saved over the course of the year is out the door due to the return... Think long and hard before you return anything guys, especially if there is a restocking fee...

To compare this situation to a large automotive parts supplier that I've been doing business with for a number of year now, Summit Racing, I NEVER pay return shipping (yes, they will send a call tag) or receive a charge for shipping of the original order (they offer free shipping for orders over $100)... Maybe it's because I've been doing business with them for years, who knows.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I absolutely love GFP, the fast and free shipping for orders over $75 and their courteous sales professionals, but I'm just a tad grumpy about losing $40 to return two items that cost $101, which were part of a $135 order. I should have just tossed one of the items in the trash ($48 item) and saved on the return shipping or sold them on ebay! It cost me over $20 to UPS the package back and then I lost approx. $20 of the refund due to the outgoing shipping fee of the original order becoming a charge since I returned part of the order even though I sent through another order of $170 to order the correct items (threw in another $91 item). If I split up the most recent $170 order, it would have been $82 and $91, both qualifying for free shipping.

Basically, any $ that I may have saved over the course of the year is out the door due to the return... Think long and hard before you return anything guys, especially if there is a restocking fee...

To compare this situation to a large automotive parts supplier that I've been doing business with for a number of year now, Summit Racing, I NEVER pay return shipping (yes, they will send a call tag) or receive a charge for shipping of the original order (they offer free shipping for orders over $100)... Maybe it's because I've been doing business with them for years, who knows.
I've owned a sales company. I will never fault a company for charging a restocking fee and/or making the person pay for the return shipping. Now, if the company made an error with your order then the company should pay all fees, however, if the customer is returning for any other reason then the customer should be out the money. The company should never be out money because the customer changed their mind or ordered the wrong part or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Agree.

Just to make sure this is clear - I paid for the return shipping & the shipping cost of the original order because I returned parts from that order... even though I spent another $170 to replace the items that were incorrect and added another $91 on top of that.

I actually worked through which part numbers to order with a GFP rep and due to my MCS being older, the part number listed on jdparts, for what appeared to be correct, were not, hence the return and order of another part to attempt to find the right one. Per Deere, the item that is coming is the correct one, we shall see... The other item, well, took the part number from jdparts as well, and it was incorrect. Live and learn.

I come from 20 years of experience dealing with mail order parts suppliers, Jeg's, Summit, NPD, Year One, etc., in the muscle car hobby and have never been charged the shipping on an order that was sent back (with free shipping) when I re-ordered... But, it's GFP's business model and they can do what they want... it was noted in the fine print, just making note to others, that's all. I'm fully aware of the cost of doing business these days and how shipping is a large component of that cost.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I've owned a sales company. I will never fault a company for charging a restocking fee and/or making the person pay for the return shipping. Now, if the company made an error with your order then the company should pay all fees, however, if the customer is returning for any other reason then the customer should be out the money. The company should never be out money because the customer changed their mind or ordered the wrong part or whatever.

I can agree with you, if you look at this situation purely from a business standpoint. Yes, if a customer changes their mind, why should the business pay? However, this is a good, returning customer that has patronized many times in the past. That said, there can and should be a bit of reprieve to this customer. If there isn't, he/she may not be a good customer in the future (hence the start of this thread).

I go through this type of thing every day. Just like the Kenny Loggins song "The Gambler", know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run. Business is a give and take, be kind to your customers, give them the benefit of the doubt, but if it becomes habitual, give them a wake-up slap, if it continues further cut em' loose.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
Agree.

Just to make sure this is clear - I paid for the return shipping & the shipping cost of the original order because I returned parts from that order... even though I spent another $170 to replace the items that were incorrect and added another $91 on top of that.

I actually worked through which part numbers to order with a GFP rep and due to my MCS being older, the part number listed on jdparts, for what appeared to be correct, were not, hence the return and order of another part to attempt to find the right one. Per Deere, the item that is coming is the correct one, we shall see... The other item, well, took the part number from jdparts as well, and it was incorrect. Live and learn.

I come from 20 years of experience dealing with mail order parts suppliers, Jeg's, Summit, NPD, Year One, etc., in the muscle car hobby and have never been charged the shipping on an order that was sent back (with free shipping) when I re-ordered... But, it's GFP's business model and they can do what they want... it was noted in the fine print, just making note to others, that's all. I'm fully aware of the cost of doing business these days and how shipping is a large component of that cost.
From what you say here they should NOT have charged you return shipping/restock fees. Going over the part #'s with a GFP rep, to me is their fault as they are supposed to know what they are doing and which part goes to which item. I for one don't know everything about parts that work with what item. Just sayin...

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I can agree with you, if you look at this situation purely from a business standpoint. Yes, if a customer changes their mind, why should the business pay? However, this is a good, returning customer that has patronized many times in the past. That said, there can and should be a bit of reprieve to this customer. If there isn't, he/she may not be a good customer in the future (hence the start of this thread).

I go through this type of thing every day. Just like the Kenny Loggins song "The Gambler", know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run. Business is a give and take, be kind to your customers, give them the benefit of the doubt, but if it becomes habitual, give them a wake-up slap, if it continues further cut em' loose.
Kenny Rogers......just sayin

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Agree.

I would call them back. In the paragraph above, incorrect part numbers are the problem. The customer should not be responsible if the part numbers and the wrong parts are sent out because of this. Deere has provided you and GFP wrong information.

I buy local as much as possible. I want to get to know and visit with the people at the counter. That way, if I have a more serious problem down the road, maybe they will remember me, think of me as a loyal customer, and treat me as such.
Also, I find that their prices are very competitive. Sure, it cost me time and gas money to make the trip, but it is time and money better spent than on freight charges. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know GFP is a sponsor and they truly are awesome (seriously), have decent prices, and I'm not trying to create any friction or get on anyone's black list as a result of my post - just wanted to share my experience with the return process. The restocking fee was waived. I'll give them a call back to see if anything can be done - but it will be what it will be and I'm not going to be a jerk if they say this is our policy. I just found it odd and a tad distasteful that the initial free shipping charge was converted to the actual shipping charge even though I indicated that I was going to re-order in an attempt to purchase the correct parts and I added a $91 item to the "re-order" as well.

Heck, I bought a set of cast iron heads from Summit and they were sent under their "free shipping," method and when they arrived, I was unhappy with the intake and exhaust port finish on the heads and they sent a call tag and I ordered a set of aluminum heads to replace. They didn't charge me a dime and didn't know that I was going to order the aluminum heads either. Those cast iron heads were a fortune to ship since they weighed about 50lbs a piece! I'm a customer for life with them as a result.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Kenny Rogers......just sayin
Darn it! But in my defense, I was very groggy after working on the shed all day, then taking the kids trick-or-treating (had to be a five mile walk...ugh).Also, they were both popular in the '80's, and both named Kenny, and both had a beard and a mullet... oh, and I don't have cable, and I live with the Amish. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,721 Posts
From what you say here they should NOT have charged you return shipping/restock fees. Going over the part #'s with a GFP rep, to me is their fault as they are supposed to know what they are doing and which part goes to which item. I for one don't know everything about parts that work with what item. Just sayin...
I would agree if GFP rep helped you and you got the wrong parts, they should have born the costs.

I bought an item from them and they sent the wrong part. The part I wanted was either no longer available or the part I got had been miss tagged. I no longer remember. I emailed them and they offered to issue a call tag and refund or refund what would have been their return shipping cost if I could make the part work. I ended up keeping the part and got $$ back. There never was any mention of having to pay shipping costs if I returned the part. But in my case the wrong part was sent.

If the facts are as you state, I think GFP should bear the costs. Did you contact them first before you returned the wrong parts?

Hope to see a response here from GFP!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I know GFP is a sponsor and they truly are awesome (seriously), have decent prices, and I'm not trying to create any friction or get on anyone's black list as a result of my post - just wanted to share my experience with the return process. The restocking fee was waived. I'll give them a call back to see if anything can be done - but it will be what it will be and I'm not going to be a jerk if they say this is our policy. I just found it odd and a tad distasteful that the initial free shipping charge was converted to the actual shipping charge even though I indicated that I was going to re-order in an attempt to purchase the correct parts and I added a $91 item to the "re-order" as well.

Heck, I bought a set of cast iron heads from Summit and they were sent under their "free shipping," method and when they arrived, I was unhappy with the intake and exhaust port finish on the heads and they sent a call tag and I ordered a set of aluminum heads to replace. They didn't charge me a dime and didn't know that I was going to order the aluminum heads either. Those cast iron heads were a fortune to ship since they weighed about 50lbs a piece! I'm a customer for life with them as a result.

Unless it is Summit's fault, return shipping is on the purchaser

http://www.summitracing.com/customerservice/faqs/

How do I use the return label included with my invoice?

For most domestic customers, a return label will be included with your invoice.

All new and unused products can be returned within 90 days from the date your order is shipped. You don't even need to contact us first.

To use the return label included with the invoice, detach it along the perforations and fasten it to the outside of the package.

Take the package to the Post Office or other location that has U.S. mail pickup. You can also arrange a USPS pick up at your home by going to the USPS web site and choosing "Schedule a Pickup". Under "How many items are we picking up?", put the quantity under "Return Services". This method is not available in all areas. You can track your return here by entering your invoice number.

No postage is required. The following fees will be deducted from your refund:

Package Weight Shipping Fee
1 to 6 lbs. $8.50
6.01 to 10 lbs. $12.50
10.01 to 20 lbs. $16.50
20.01 to 70 lbs. $22.50
Packages over 70 lbs. or 108 inches (length plus girth) cannot be returned using the Return Label; contact us via email or call 1-800-230-3030 and we will assist you.
One has to remember, "free shipping" is not free, it is paid through product pricing

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unless it is Summit's fault, return shipping is on the purchaser

http://www.summitracing.com/customerservice/faqs/

One has to remember, "free shipping" is not free, it is paid through product pricing
The Devil is in the details... per my statement, "I was unhappy with the intake and exhaust port finish on the heads" so they sent a call tag... The port finish was not correct, so I brought it to their attention and they made it right at their expense and dealt with the manufacturer on their end, as any upstanding establishment would. This was several years ago, but nonetheless it happened. Their policies have exceptions, as I found out via my experience. I spent quite a bit of $ with them over the years as a result of how they took care of that particular situation. I rarely send items back that I purchase via mail order as it's always a PITA due to the shipping aspect.

Of course what appears to be free shipping is built into the price of every item based upon sales expectations, as someone has to pay for it. It's only a matter of time before our wonderful gov't passes a mandatory internet / mail order sales tax and that will put mail order operations at a disadvantage unless their product cost is reduced.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before this thread takes on a tone that it doesn't need to, deviates from the intended purpose and people form an opinion of me bringing this up... my intent on posting this was simply to note that via the return process, I found out that any items that are returned (if sent via "free shipping") are charged the actual shipping cost EVEN IF you re-order the correct items. I didn't realize that until after I returned the items and re-ordered the new items that my refund was going to be less the shipping from the original order which was sent with "free shipping." I interpreted that statement as, if you don't re-order, you are hit with the shipping charge, but as I see it now, if they hit you with a re-stocking fee it's because you aren't re-ordering, so the free shipping will be charged back also.

As in politics, folks will have differing view points, same will happen with my simple note on this. I actually debated on whether or not to post since the return policy is fairly clearly written except for the part about the re-order of the correct items and associated shipping costs of previous order... I was thinking that if you re-order there is no charge back of the shipping cost, but that was my error. Figured I'd post my experience to save anyone else from a misunderstanding/misinterpretation... of the return policy. It's all good...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Love it! :good2:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
The Devil is in the details... per my statement, "I was unhappy with the intake and exhaust port finish on the heads" so they sent a call tag... The port finish was not correct, so I brought it to their attention and they made it right at their expense and dealt with the manufacturer on their end, as any upstanding establishment would. This was several years ago, but nonetheless it happened. Their policies have exceptions, as I found out via my experience. I spent quite a bit of $ with them over the years as a result of how they took care of that particular situation. I rarely send items back that I purchase via mail order as it's always a PITA due to the shipping aspect.

Of course what appears to be free shipping is built into the price of every item based upon sales expectations, as someone has to pay for it. It's only a matter of time before our wonderful gov't passes a mandatory internet / mail order sales tax and that will put mail order operations at a disadvantage unless their product cost is reduced.
Guess I should have quoted

You make it sound as if Summit never charges return shipping but their policy says different. I've spent more money with Summit, Jegs, P.A.W. than I care to admit. Unless there is a clear issue that is their fault they will charge return shipping. Now I agree, they have never charged for the initial shopping cost on returned items no matter who's fault.

But GFP can't really be compared to Summit and the like, as I am sure revenue is quite different.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Darn it! But in my defense, I was very groggy after working on the shed all day, then taking the kids trick-or-treating (had to be a five mile walk...ugh).Also, they were both popular in the '80's, and both named Kenny, and both had a beard and a mullet... oh, and I don't have cable, and I live with the Amish. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.:laugh:
In other words, You screwed up? :lol:
Sorry couldn't help myself,,,again.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guess I should have quoted

You make it sound as if Summit never charges return shipping but their policy says different. I've spent more money with Summit, Jegs, P.A.W. than I care to admit. Unless there is a clear issue that is their fault they will charge return shipping. Now I agree, they have never charged for the initial shopping cost on returned items no matter who's fault.

But GFP can't really be compared to Summit and the like, as I am sure revenue is quite different.
:flag_of_truce: Certainly not trying to create any friction with that statement and I certainly cannot comment on what others have experienced when dealing with the large mail order performance houses as I like to call them, which is why I indicated "I" have never paid a free shipping conversion charge on a returned item from an order. From my recollection, I don't believe that I've had any returns in recent years, but perhaps things have changed. Since I usually place orders quite a bit over $100 with them, when I do send back an item, it's usually a small $ item and I don't recall any hassle with a free shipping return conversion fee, most likely due to the amount spent in the overall order... Regardless, I don't ever recall a returned item having a free shipping conversion fee associated with it. A few years ago I spent $400+ on an ignition system and bought a capacitor (due to rear mounted battery) and a few other odds and ends in the order... Shortly after purchasing, I ended up going with an Engine Management System that didn't require an add on spark box, put the spark box in another car and sent back a couple of the items that weren't needed, but the remaining amount of the order was still well over the $100 free shipping threshold I believe and I don't recall a free shipping conversion charge on the items that I sent back, perhaps it was because the remaining items that I kept were well over the $100 free shipping from that order?

I completely agree - can't compare GFP to companies like Summit and Jeg's... it's apples and oranges but they (along with a few others) are really my only comparison point as I try to shop retail and support local business when I can, but I do really like GFP as a supplier due to aforementioned reasons. Last time I spoke to a Summit rep, he mentioned that Summit (if recollection serves me correctly) is taking on a restoration parts business and they are growing like gang busters. I've typically only purchased "performance parts" from them, but will be great if they expand beyond that.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
In other words, You screwed up? :lol:
Sorry couldn't help myself,,,again.
Kinda like my returned order expectations and my thoughts on starting this thread, lol! :laugh: Guess I screwed up!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts