Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went-n-done it! I've been drooling over a 1953 40 Standard for a month now, so I called the guy yesterday evening. HPIM3273.JPG 200 miles & $50 worth of gas later: HPIM1372.JPG

A little background; I grew up farming with Two-Cylinders, primarily a 1953-60 & 1958 720D ES, along with various "B's", "A's" & an "MT" Dad bought as a "saddle horse" when I was 14. I spent a lot of hours & miles on the MT hauling hay & grain over the years. I'd wanted a one-row (M or 40) for the last 50 years.

Felt pretty good to drive it around the yard this evening when we got home: HPIM1373.JPG HPIM1374.JPG HPIM1375.JPG

Yes, I have the battery door, the 3-pt top link & one front weight!

It's setting in my shed now!!! :greentractorride:

·
Registered
12,091 Posts
You answered my question from the other post. Very nice looking tractor. I am anxious to see what it looks like when you get done with it. You do nice work on your tractors and equipment.

·
Administrator
20,905 Posts
Looks awesome! Congrats, it's in a great home.:thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
What a nice find grnspot110. Looks like a fairly new tractor and well kept, better than some newer tractors I've seen.

Reactions: grnspot110

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
Lowell,
Very nice. I know you will get it looking to better than new condition. A H, or a M, or a 40 has been on my wish list for a while now. Great score!:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
50 years was TOO LONG to wait.

Front looks like it sets too high? Is that normal?

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
50 years was TOO LONG to wait.

Front looks like it sets too high? Is that normal?
Not sure, it has 16" fronts, haven't got a book yet (on order) to check, Tractordata shows 15" or 16", but doesn't say which model 40.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Congrats grnspot110.. Don't know who looks happier, you or the dog. (beautiful dog by the way) Have fun with your new toy.

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anybody have any good pictures of a cable-lift front blade for an "M"? I may have found a 6-1/2' pickup blade to make one for the little 40 & would like to see pics of how the "M" blades were made & hooked on to the tractor.

·
Premium Member
14,913 Posts
Very nice find,, Looks in Great Shape.

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another trip today, 200 miles later: HPIM1389.JPG HPIM1388.JPG

5' Ford blade, I'll have to make a mounting bracket & lift system. It needs heavier trip springs & skids, but the cutting edge shows little wear.

Reactions: farmgirl19

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
grnspot110, You really seem to be making out pretty good lately. Nice!
I like your new Avatar also. :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,905 Posts
grnspot110, You really seem to be making out pretty good lately. Nice!
I like your new Avatar also. :thumbup1gif:
His Avatar is pretty cool. The dog pushes it over the top.:drinks:

·
Registered
12,091 Posts
Is that an original JD blade, Lowell? My JD daily calendar for today has a picture of an M, I believe with a 32 front blade which looks very much like yours. I was trying to think of some way to scan it and insert it, but I don't think it would come out clear. I save all the pictures, so if you would like, PM an address and I will mail it to you. It looks as though there are pulleys mounted on each side of the grill at the front with a cable lift going to the rear of the tractor which I would guess connects to the rockshaft.

Don

PS I like the dog in the avatar also.

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is that an original JD blade, Lowell? My JD daily calendar for today has a picture of an M, I believe with a 32 front blade which looks very much like yours. I was trying to think of some way to scan it and insert it, but I don't think it would come out clear. I save all the pictures, so if you would like, PM an address and I will mail it to you. It looks as though there are pulleys mounted on each side of the grill at the front with a cable lift going to the rear of the tractor which I would guess connects to the rockshaft.

Don

PS I like the dog in the avatar also.
The blade is a "Ford", has the ID tag on it, didn't look for a model number.

The only picture with an "M" I've been able to find looks like a single cable, that's the type of lift I intend to use.

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
Very possible the same supplier made blades for both companies, which specified a tag with their name on it.

·
Registered
12,091 Posts
The blade is a "Ford", has the ID tag on it, didn't look for a model number.

The only picture with an "M" I've been able to find looks like a single cable, that's the type of lift I intend to use.
I got your PM. Picture will be in the mail on my way home from work this afternoon. I am interested to see it installed. As you will see, the blade in the picture looks very much like the one that you have.

·
Registered
23,079 Posts
Somebody slap me.......I really like that 40s so I did a little Googling to find out more about them. Of course then I come upon a 40 for sale withing driving distance.......no way I can afford one now but I guess it's nice to dream.....

Used John Deere 40 Tractor for sale

JD40-1.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just for "test fit": HPIM1390.JPG

Close-up of the step: HPIM1391.JPG

Working on a bracket for the front weight now, won't need it for the front blade, but if I use the "80" 3-pt blade, I'll need it!

1 - 20 of 133 Posts