Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So I have to do my 1st 50 hour service on the x758. I was going to also remove the deck while at it and sharpen the blades. They are new mulch blades I added only 8 hours ago, but when I look at the cut on the grass its a ragged cut making the grass have a yellow edge....So im wondering if they sold them not so sharp for liability reasons in which case I need to sharpen them.

I just had a question about removing nuts/bolts in general, whether its the blade from the deck, or the wheels from the tractor.

I have a Hilti Hammer Drill, can this be used to remove stubborn nuts/bolts?

Ive heard people say they use their hammer drill with impact socket adapters to set the correct torque, rather than the air driven impact wrenches....

Any thoughts? Because the Hilti Hammer Drill I have is a TE-7C, a good bit of kit, but I got it for drilling masonry, if I dont need to buy an air driven 1/2' impact torque wrench that would be a cheaper option....

Any thoughts from you mechanical gurus out there?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi guys,

So I have to do my 1st 50 hour service on the x758. I was going to also remove the deck while at it and sharpen the blades. They are new mulch blades I added only 8 hours ago, but when I look at the cut on the grass its a ragged cut making the grass have a yellow edge....So im wondering if they sold them not so sharp for liability reasons in which case I need to sharpen them.

I just had a question about removing nuts/bolts in general, whether its the blade from the deck, or the wheels from the tractor.

I have a Hilti Hammer Drill, can this be used to remove stubborn nuts/bolts?

Ive heard people say they use their hammer drill with impact socket adapters to set the correct torque, rather than the air driven impact wrenches....

Any thoughts? Because the Hilti Hammer Drill I have is a TE-7C, a good bit of kit, but I got it for drilling masonry, if I dont need to buy an air driven 1/2' impact torque wrench that would be a cheaper option....

Any thoughts from you mechanical gurus out there?
Short answer is no unless it has an "impact wrench" function.
Hamer driil beat the bit into the cement.
Impact wrenches use a hammering effect in a circular motion/torque.
I think the danger with any impact wrench is in tighten fasteners.
I don't think you are any more likely to break a fastener removing it with an impact as you would with a wrench, breaker bar.
While some impacts may have torque settings for tightening things, I would just snug with the impact and use a torque wrench for final torque.
Just to be clear the hammer drill is not an impact wrench.
Even if the TE-7C had the needed torque, it would be harder to hold than a 1/2" breaker bar because of the leverage advantage.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I'm not sure of your physical condition or if you are dealing with health issues but I have not felt the need to use anything but a 1/2 breaker bar to exchange blades.

The hammer drill as an impact is new to me. Interesting...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Your hilti is great for hammering in concrete drills but is NOT the right tool for the job for removing bolts. You need an impact wrench, if you don't have one, go buy one. They are a VERY useful tool as they give a quick SNAP to loosen bolts. They will SAVE you from snapping off bolts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
Your hilti is great for hammering in concrete drills but is NOT the right tool for the job for removing bolts. You need an impact wrench, if you don't have one, go buy one. They are a VERY useful tool as they give a quick SNAP to loosen bolts. They will SAVE you from snapping off bolts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Agreed, even a cheap one is better than nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Harbor freight sells a line of impacts that's pretty affordable. They however are not that great for daily use.

But as said before get a breaker bar on it. If that doesn't work get a pipe on the breaker bar.

Use your leg to shove on the breaker bar if you need to.

Also soak it down with pb blaster or wd40. Or a little heat on the nut!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Harbor freight sells a line of impacts that's pretty affordable. They however are not that great for daily use.

But as said before get a breaker bar on it. If that doesn't work get a pipe on the breaker bar.

Use your leg to shove on the breaker bar if you need to.

Also soak it down with pb blaster or wd40. Or a little heat on the nut!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
All great advice thanks guys.

Any tips for the first 50 hour service?
Im at 36 hours wanted to do it a little early as its been over a year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts