Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
12,662 Posts
I have been eyeing these slings up for a while. Before I bite the bullet, I guess I would like some advice. I did some measuring tonight and I am coming up with (2) 8' slings. These will be used to lift and carry the snowblower and the 60d MMM (not at the same time:laugh:). I will be using my (2) welded on bucket hooks that the dealer installed when I bought my 1026R. I am thinking of using a choker style rigging. Am I out in left field? Do you guys have any better suggestions? Stan mentioned installing the eye hooks on the MMM as one member did. I haven't done that but could. I think then a shorter sling length would work. I was just thinking (2) 8 footers would be good all around lengths. Please enlighten me, oh wise ones.:good2:

Reactions: rod330 and BigJim55

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have been eyeing these slings up for a while. Before I bite the bullet, I guess I would like some advice. I did some measuring tonight and I am coming up with (2) 8' slings. These will be used to lift and carry the snowblower and the 60d MMM (not at the same time:laugh:). I will be using my (2) welded on bucket hooks that the dealer installed when I bought my 1026R. I am thinking of using a choker style rigging. Am I out in left field? Do you guys have any better suggestions? Stan mentioned installing the eye hooks on the MMM as one member did. I haven't done that but could. I think then a shorter sling length would work. I was just thinking (2) 8 footers would be good all around lengths. Please enlighten me, oh wise ones.:good2:
Same here....I was debating between the 8' and 10' lengths for general purpose use. Heck, maybe we should buy a pair in EVERY length to be sure :lolol:

Also, I love that these will neatly fit the slot of my Artillian fork frame-- very handy to use with the bucket and fork frame.

·
Registered
26,654 Posts
I still haven't really worked on this - but your timing is good as I will be lifting my deck in the next day or two to get it ready for mowing. I was in a hurry last fall when I put it away and just used my old strap setup. I have a continuous strap (loop) that goes through both bucket hooks, then around and under each front gauge wheel.

I'll measure what ringslings I have and try a couple different configurations - and take some pics.

Being I have my forks on 90% of the time now I am going to try using the chain slots on the fork frame with the ringslings also.

Here's a pic how I have been doing it over the years:

Vehicle Lawn Mower Grass Lawn mower

Motor vehicle Green Agricultural machinery Vehicle Tractor

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I still haven't really worked on this - but your timing is good as I will be lifting my deck in the next day or two to get it ready for mowing. I was in a hurry last fall when I put it away and just used my old strap setup. I have a continuous strap (loop) that goes through both bucket hooks, then around and under each front gauge wheel.

Here's a pic how I have been doing it over the years:

View attachment 163601
That's basically how I do mine except I leave the bucket off and put the sling around the top quick attach bosses on the loader frame.

·
Corndog Hater
12,662 Posts
Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Corndog Hater
12,662 Posts
So if I buy forks, then the next shipment of nut brittle will be so big, I need to use the forks to unload it off the UPS truck, right?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
43,135 Posts
So if I buy forks, then the next shipment of nut brittle will be so big, I need to use the forks to unload it off the UPS truck, right?
Yeah, sure. Time to wake-up now. :lol:

Reactions: rtgt and ColonyPark

·
Registered
26,654 Posts
I took some pics and measurements today lifting my mower deck - maybe this will help with that part anyway -

I have a 4' and 6' ringsling.

With the 6' it isn't long enough to make it the way that I usually lift. I measured 9'4" to make it so a 10' ringsling would work just right.

Vehicle Machine

My intention when buying the ringslings a year ago was to use one of them for lifting my mower. Since I have my forks on 90% of the time I tried it that way. The 8' worked out perfectly. I don't want the ring sling any longer than absolutely necessary since I am lifting inside my pavilion and barn and have to watch my height.

Vehicle Machine Soil Grass Tractor

Green Vehicle Machine Waste

·
Administrator
21,781 Posts
Just remember you rigging angles. The shallower the angle of your rigging, the more stress you place on the rigging itself. Rule of thumb is to never go less than 45* to keep your rigging within limits.

·
Corndog Hater
12,662 Posts
Stan, you're the man! Thanks for taking the pics and the measurements. Very helpful!

Based on what you and DS point out, I think a longer sling is the way to go. I am thinking (2) 10 footers would work. I could use one for the mower deck and configure it like Stan. I could then use the 2 slings to lift the snow blower. The longer slings would keep the angle shallower like DS points out. Thanks guys

Reactions: rtgt and Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
43,135 Posts
Just remember you rigging angles. The shallower the angle of your rigging, the more stress you place on the rigging itself. Rule of thumb is to never go less than 45* to keep your rigging within limits.
I never thought about that. Good post, IMO.

·
Registered
26,654 Posts
Stan, you're the man! Thanks for taking the pics and the measurements. Very helpful!

Based on what you and DS point out, I think a longer sling is the way to go. I am thinking (2) 10 footers would work. I could use one for the mower deck and configure it like Stan. I could then use the 2 slings to lift the snow blower. The longer slings would keep the angle shallower like DS points out. Thanks guys
And if you need the option of connecting them together for something just use a clevis.

Metal Font

·
Corndog Hater
12,662 Posts
I ordered (2) 10' slings from Ken and they are awesome. I am not sure what I was expecting, but these things are stout. The slings and rings are much heavier duty that I thought they'd be. It's a good thing they are, because I had complete confidence in them and carrying the weight of my snowblower. It was great not having to muscle the blower onto and off of the carry all. I can't wait to use these when it's time to clean the underside of the mower deck. I think these will come in so handy I hung them right inside my garage doors for easy access. Here is a pic of them in use today. And yes that is one of our old living room throw pillows bungee corded to the chute. It kept it safe from the teeth. That pillow comes in handy around the garage.

Ken, no need for you to drag them through the dirt, they lost a little brightness from the dust on the garage floor.

Thanks for offering such great products!

·
Administrator
21,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks for the picture Jamie (yes, I just stole it :) and the compliments on the slings :good2:

·
Corndog Hater
12,662 Posts
Thanks for the picture Jamie (yes, I just stole it :) and the compliments on the slings :good2:
I've been around long enough, why do you think the nice scenery of the woods was in the background of that pic?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
43,135 Posts
I've been around long enough, why do you think the nice scenery of the woods was in the background of that pic?
You sly dog. :lol:

21 - 40 of 66 Posts