Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
A little background to set the stage:
I bought my '85 F150 with 250,000 miles on it from of the original owner when I was 15. $700 cash. I figured it would be a good farm beater to learn on and after a few years I would get a nicer truck. Since then I have bought and subsiquenly sold or scrapped 6 other trucks. All of them either mechanically worn out or bodies rotted by the time they left... and yet I'm still stuck with my '85. The darn thing just will not quit. At this point I think I'm going to start restoring it because my wife has put her foot down and told me "no new trucks until this one dies". :nunu:

In the last 13 years I have only worn out/replaced the seat, the pedal covers, the heater core, the radiator, several sets of tires, and the rear axle shafts (because apparently firewood is heavy). The original engine and transmission are still holding their own thanks to 87 oil changes and 6 gear lube changes. Hands down, this has been the most cost effective vehicle I have ever owned.

48857d1430286665-all-things-wear-out-image.jpg

Yesterday, I wore out something else. Something I didn't think was possible to wear out before the rest of the vehicle's major systems. Just before it rolled past 512,000 miles (or rather 12,000 again, because there is no 6th digit) the speedometer/odometer died. Yep, I wore out the odometer before I wore out the rest of the truck. :lol::lol:

I know it isn't the cable or drive gear because the speedo half of the gauge has been fritzing out since December and I think it finally took the odometer with it. Sub-zero temperatures and 30 year old nylon gear sets don't work well together. I found a replacement on eBay which has a few thousand more miles on it to correct for the winter I drove with a broken speedometer cable. I ordered it this morning and should get it by Friday. :thumbup1gif:

Has anyone else ever worn out something on their car or truck that left them scratching their head?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The old Dodge / Chrysler 225 slant-six was a beast of an engine also.
I had one in a 67 Dart that just wouldn't "die", so, back in 1984 when I ordered my first brand new truck, I specifically ordered it with the slant-six, auto tranny, am/fm radio, a/c, roll-up windows, and an 8' bed.
I don't own it anymore, but she's still running around with over 600,000 miles on her.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've always been a big fan of the old straight 6 engines. I don't know if yours has the 300 straight 6 but that engine was a workhorse. Not so great on fuel economy but the torque curves those inline engines is impressive while typically running at lower RPMs than the V-engines.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
My (traded it) '97 4X4 Dakota died from the outside. The engine, front end, transfer case, transmission, rear-end were all in good working order. I was the original owner and it was never wrecked. The body and everything hooked to it just rusted away. Hence the 2010 F-150 that replaced it a few months ago. It only had 130,000 something miles on it. Still ran good, always had it serviced or did it myself. Gas tank strap, spring hangers, heat shields, gas lines, gas filler, just whatever was under the body rusted away. Then the bed did the same. Cab, fenders and hood were still good. It just got to dangerous to drive far from home. Which reminds me, steering column was starting go by the way of rust too. When I traded I made sure the dealer knew about all of this. No way I wanted someone's death or wounds on my head. Radio and air conditioning didn't work either. Only condition my wife told me on the trade, it better not be another Dodge and no more then a 300 dollar payment. So now we are an all Ford family.

Reactions: mjncad and 5304

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
There's one thing that, no matter HOW hard I try, NEVER WEARS OUT... The payments.

:)
Gladly I will admit here that I was wrong.

I wore out my payments!!! Woo hoo!!!

:gizmo:

·
Premium Member
9,807 Posts
Gladly I will admit here that I was wrong.

I wore out my payments!!! Woo hoo!!!

:gizmo:
Great feeling isn't it!

:bigthumb: :yahoo:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts