Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally needed to buy some diesel for the tractor and received a surprise when I went to pay for it. Up until now, off road diesel has been 30 cents cheaper per gallon than regular diesel. Now then a 30 cent per gallon tax is placed on the purchase of off road diesel.

Is that something going on federally or is this something only happening in Alabama?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Are you saying a tax has been added so off-road costs the same as on-road????? This country is getting closer to 1776 every day.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Finally needed to buy some diesel for the tractor and received a surprise when I went to pay for it. Up until now, off road diesel has been 30 cents cheaper per gallon than regular diesel. Now then a 30 cent per gallon tax is placed on the purchase of off road diesel.

Is that something going on federally or is this something only happening in Alabama?
Same thing here in VA. Used to have a diesel before I got the 1026R then used an X520 for 4 years. Went to get some off road after getting the new tractor and found out it's now just as expensive as the regular stuff.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I looked around for it around me, but I couldn't find it. At $.30 a gallon it costs me ~$1.50 extra a 5 gallon can to get the on road stuff 5 minutes from me and the 1026R is great on fuel. I have a question for you guys, where do you get it anyway?

ETA: I just realized that this is the Ag forum and there are probably a lot more of you that this affects in much bigger ways than it does me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We ran into this here in Western Pa. with the increase in per gallon price for off and on road diesel fuel. Our answer was to go to a local trucking company and see if we could swing a deal. We were able to get on with them and take advantage of their bulk diesel fuel price which makes it actually cheaper than the off road stuff was WITHOUT the red dye.

Might be worth it to see if you have any local trucking companies that purchase fuel. See if you can get on with them and swing a deal.
Eric :bye:

Reactions: Uncle Wayne

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you saying a tax has been added so off-road costs the same as on-road????? This country is getting closer to 1776 every day.
Yeah, exactly the same in Alabama. Off road price at the pump was $3.39 and after the tax added at the register it was $3.69 per gallon, same as the on road diesel.

·
Registered
15,450 Posts
At the small town, local station in northeast PA, where I buy fuel, on-road diesel is $4.09/9 and off-road is $3.49/9.

Regular gas on the other hand is $3.65/9, which to me is outrageous.

Don

·
Registered
230 Posts
In Michigan, off-road at a pump (not in bulk) runs $.30 less than over the road diesel. With gasoline having gone up to $4.09/9 in many places around me, over the road diesel now looks cheap at $3.89/9... :thumbsdown:

Matt

·
Registered
15,450 Posts
In Michigan, off-road at a pump (not in bulk) runs $.30 less than over the road diesel. With gasoline having gone up to $4.09/9 in many places around me, over the road diesel now looks cheap at $3.89/9... :thumbsdown:

Matt
I guess I shouldn't complain about $3.65/9. Or, better yet, I think we should all be complaining about fuel prices, although it would not do any good.

In January 2009, regular gas was about $1.89/9 on Long Island, NY, according to the New York Post.

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here in Wa. State off road is $2.10 a gallon and $2.75 for highway which is bulk to my farm. If the fuel you are buying is clear it has to be taxed at the refinery.
When I had only 1 bulk tank I would buy highway fuel then apply for a tax refund for the off road fuel used which was like applying for an audit from the IRS and the Dept of Revenue all at the same time, Now I have 2 tanks with no more audits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.