Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Does anyone remove their decks after the mowing/leaf blowing season? I have done that for the last several years on my 2210, and intend on doing the same with my 'new' 2520.

My concern is the rear MMM mounting brackets that hang down below the rear axles. It looks like you could take the brackets off and replace them with the proper size bushings, but so far JD parts has been kicking my rear in trying to figure it out.

Anyone try this? Here is a pic of the brackets I'm talking about...sorry for it being so dark, I found it online..
Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Transport Soil

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,709 Posts
Come time for snow removal most will not want a deck hanging under the tractor so they will remove it. I think most just pin the brackets up with a zip-tie or small chain verses taking the brackets off the 3pt. I have the lock up kit that I will use this to keep mine out of the way.

Service departments should have a bunch of the bushings laying around as they took the original off to put your maechanical lift on as your mechanical lift bracket replaced the factory bushing/spacer. Ask your service department and see if they can give you yours back. Why should you pay for something you already paid for when you bought the tractor.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Hey Tackleberry
I made my own lockup kit. It' simple just a couple of bars.Works really well for me.
But as pcabe5 stated,when mowing season is over and it's snow plow time,I remove everything.
I don't like the linkage under the tractor when it's not needed.

Greg

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
I take my mower off often. In the summer for FEL work I just tie up the arms with cable ties, and in the winter I remove them to mount my snowplow. I am not sure what bushings you need? Unles you are trying to remove the "L" shaped pieces that hook over the lower 3PH arms? I just leave them on and un-pin the draft arms.

·
Registered
170 Posts
We used to take off anything that had a pin on it, when we had the MMM on the 1523. That way no worries of catching on anything, or loosing it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I take my mower off often. In the summer for FEL work I just tie up the arms with cable ties, and in the winter I remove them to mount my snowplow. I am not sure what bushings you need? Unles you are trying to remove the "L" shaped pieces that hook over the lower 3PH arms? I just leave them on and un-pin the draft arms.
remove the "L" shaped pieces

Those are the pieces I am concerned about....there looks to be only a few inches of clearance between the bottom of those pieces and the ground. I could see them easily getting hung up and/or bent when working in the woods. I went back and forth between a 2320 (without mmm) and my 2520 (with mmm) on the lot because I had never paid attention to how the MMM mounting mechanism was setup towards the back of the tractor and was shocked at the lack of ground clearance.

It doesn't look like it really would be a big deal to remove them, as long as you have the bushings to replace em. Another poster brought up that the dealer should have the original bushings that were removed for the installation of the mmm lifting mechanism, which would be just what I am looking for.

I was so wrapped in trying to figure out what bushings I needed, I didn't even think I could just use what was originally on the tractor.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Come time for snow removal most will not want a deck hanging under the tractor so they will remove it. I think most just pin the brackets up with a zip-tie or small chain verses taking the brackets off the 3pt. I have the lock up kit that I will use this to keep mine out of the way.

Service departments should have a bunch of the bushings laying around as they took the original off to put your maechanical lift on as your mechanical lift bracket replaced the factory bushing/spacer. Ask your service department and see if they can give you yours back. Why should you pay for something you already paid for when you bought the tractor.
You hit the nail on the head as far as what I am looking for! I didn't even think that I could simply use the original bushings that came with the tractor prior to the mmm mounting! Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found a much better pic online of the brackets I was asking about in my first post
Bumper Auto part Wheel Vehicle Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
I am like Kenny, I remove the linkage at the pull pins and leave the pivot brackets on. They are so close to the wheels that I am not concerned about them. Now mind you, I don't do a lot of (or any) work in the woods. That can be a whole different ball game.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am like Kenny, I remove the linkage at the pull pins and leave the pivot brackets on. They are so close to the wheels that I am not concerned about them. Now mind you, I don't do a lot of (or any) work in the woods. That can be a whole different ball game.
The back part and perimeter of our modest little property is wooded and if can be bent, I'll find a way to do it! Those brackets are one of the first things I noted about the rear of the tractor. I'm confident that I can get the original bushings from the dealer, that should do the trick.

I was a little dissapointed that my tractor didn't have the quick connect pto/deck, but that is something else I would probably find a way to break!
I was happy to have the stow and go feature.....

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Not to dissuade you from your plan, but those brackets are really very heavy material. I would bet you could support the whole tractor on them without bending. And again, I don't do the woodsy thing, and am sure that anything is possible. I guess if nothing else, you have peace of mind by removing them. Just not sure I would worry about them. :empathy3:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not to dissuade you from your plan, but those brackets are really very heavy material. I would bet you could support the whole tractor on them without bending. And again, I don't do the woodsy thing, and am sure that anything is possible. I guess if nothing else, you have peace of mind by removing them. Just not sure I would worry about them. :empathy3:
I'm still toying with the idea. The tractor is actually here now where I can spend more time examining what is involved, and probably more importantly, what I would gain from their removal. I'm leaning towards your observation that they are actually a lot heavier than I initially thought. I think that my initial impressions were colored by remembrances of the lift brackets on the 2210, which were not nearly as heavy.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts