Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was fortunate enough to be asked to visit Alaska and film a short pilot series for Alaska Wild Adventures. I stayed at a remote lodge located along the Kenai Peninsula that was off the grid. I was amazed to have had all the common amenities of home while being so remote.

As tractor owners some of us are mechanical, so I especially loved doing this off the grid power video.

Check it out!

·
Registered
22,679 Posts
That's quite an extensive system - very nice.

We lived off grid for years with a much smaller setup and less the solar panels - not enough sun to justify them here.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True that, their solar panel is purely used during the summer.

As I was filming this they were in the process of installing a windmill, which is very useful at their location.

Little things that we take for granted like leaving a few lights on will keep the generator running that little bit extra. I was actually on FaceTime with my wife showing here this stuff. Truly amazing out in the wilderness

·
Registered
22,679 Posts
It was 20 years ago when we lived off-grid and still find ourselves being conscious of every light being on and every bit of our electricity usage.

We kept a lot of our stuff so we are set for any extended power outages without needing a generator.

I guess if you've always had electricity, running water, and automatic heat all your lives it would be kind of amazing to see how it is done.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had to rewind the video to make sure I heard right, 350 lbs per battery. Holy crap those are heavy deep cycle batteries.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had to rewind the video to make sure I heard right, 350 lbs per battery. Holy crap those are heavy deep cycle batteries.
Yes, i can confirm those were some heavy ass batteries. The food was 5 star. I believe they made me the worlds largest moose burger, I'd challenge anyone to disagree :big thumb:

I loved their form of transportation too.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts