Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.... I recently bought a new attachment for the 2720, I'll keep you guessing as to what though.:greentractorride:

So according to Gizmo's rules I have to go buy a new vacuum cleaner....

Well, we already have a good one. So my better half wants a new washing machine. She wants a top loader. She doesn't want to bend over to get the laundry out of a front loader. Anybody have any good suggestions?

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Does one not have to bend over and reach down to get laundry out of a top load? :unknown: I must be doing something wrong.

You do realize that washers and dryers always end up coming as a set, right? I mean, they offer to sell you just one but it turns out that's just a ruse to get you in the door...:mocking:

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does one not have to bend over and reach down to get laundry out of a top load? :unknown: I must be doing something wrong.
I mentioned that. Didn't change what she wants. Doesn't matter to me really anyway.:morning2:

You do realize that washers and dryers always end up coming as a set, right? I mean, they offer to sell you just one but it turns out that's just a ruse to get you in the door...:mocking:
I'm afraid of that too....:thumbsdown:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
What! Another set of forks sold? Do you have a set now and going to pull off a Gizmo2, putting the other set into storage?
IMO, talk babycakes into a front loaded and get the added stand to raise it. I/we were sooooo apprehensive about front loaders, not anymore.:thumbup1gif:
BTW, washing machine/vacuum cleaner.............same thing.

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What! Another set of forks sold? Do you have a set now and going to pull off a Gizmo2, putting the other set into storage?
IMO, talk babycakes into a front loaded and get the added stand to raise it. I/we were sooooo apprehensive about front loaders, not anymore.:thumbup1gif:
BTW, washing machine/vacuum cleaner.............same thing.
Damn...Can't get anything past the Popo here....:lol::nunu:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
Diesel, you ain't blaming me for this. Don't even think about it.
So bonehead, is it Forks or not?

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
FWIW, I went through the W+D research and shopping a couple years ago when we moved the hookups upstairs to the main floor. The main knock I found on front loaders is: 1. Unless you leave the door open when not in use (naturally) they start to "aquire a rather bad odor, 2. Leaving the door open invites a ROPS-like possible shin and knee incursion and door mis-alignment AND (just what I found out) the doors will start to leak quite sooner than later.

I bought a Sears "new High Efficiency" machine, which means bottom line it uses far less water, requires "HE" lo-suds detergent, costs more and will wind jeans legs into pretty tight knots.

No agitator, it just jiggles the clothes somehow, but it does spin 'em nearly dry... To be put into the matching dryer which has to be switched on to get the drum light to come on w/door... It has 10 undetectable difference wash settings (Design engineer was ex-JD design man.):laugh:

I only use the "Manual Timed Dry-Manual Temp" feature on the dryer as it takes the same time to dry anything on "Automatic"... 2 pairs of gotchies or 2 pair of work jeans... same drying time on "Auto" settings. No utility savings there! Yes, I did read both manuals!:laugh:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Ok.... I recently bought a new attachment for the 2720, I'll keep you guessing as to what though.:greentractorride:

So according to Gizmo's rules I have to go buy a new vacuum cleaner....

Well, we already have a good one. So my better half wants a new washing machine. She wants a top loader. She doesn't want to bend over to get the laundry out of a front loader. Anybody have any good suggestions?
Put the front loader up on cinder blocks!!!! The new top loaders are designed to use less water now too, and will only fill 1/4 full on the rinse cycle. They will beat the dickens out of your clothing, and you'll be having to buy new clothes more often. I'm hearing the rinse cycle doesn't remove the soap well, and that you have to mix any fabric softener with 1L warm water separately, before adding it to the washer. I have a friend that does appliance repair. He says he never hears the end of the complaints, and there is nothing he can legally do, as they are "working" as they "should".

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anybody have any brands or models they like or that I should stay away from?

·
8,558 Posts
I've known several people that have put their expensive LG washers by curb for trash collection, 6 months after they bought them.

According to the repairman friend:

For a Top Loader, get a Whirlpool, and one with a real agitator, not Cabriolet, Duet, etc.

For a front loader, he likes Whirlpool or Frigidaire. I think Whirlpool has a larger capacity drum. If you have king size comforters, blankets, etc., that becomes an issue.

He advises to avoid LG at all cost, and Samsung, if possible. LG front loader will be really bad about odor, if one is not good about leaving the door open on it. Also, he says LG works very well, when it works, but that parts are next to impossible to get. It is evidently made in Korea, (as is Samsung), and he says they must wait until they have enough parts ordered to fill the cargo ship, before they send the parts. Says it can take 2 months (or more) to get parts in, when they are needed. Used to say the same for Samsung, but he said Samsung has begun subcontracting with Whirlpool to make replacement parts for theirs, so not as long a backorder.

Can you tell I was washing machine shopping, not too long ago?

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What did you end up with?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I have always bought Maytag washers/dryers, however I bought the new Maytag front load units in 2006 and gave them away in 2007 as they were nothing but junk. Then I bought Samsung front loaders and I like them really well. I did have to put in a part in the washer a couple of years ago, but nothing else. The Samsung washer has rotating counter balance weights that keep it from "walking" all over the floor when spinning. A service repairman told me that 10-12 years is all you will get out of appliances these days.

Dave

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
8,558 Posts
What did you end up with?
Whirlpool front loader. It is a Duet, but not to be confused with the top loading Duet. I got one of the last ones that was not all the bells and whistles. Turn the knob to select the wash cycle, add soap and softener, and walk away. It has a larger drum than the current models too. (Yep, needed it for all of the comforters and blankets I use in the winter.) I LOVE my front loader. Newer models have time counters to tell you how many minutes it expects the load to take to finish, etc. (I figure that would be the computer module that would go out on anything I owned! :laugh: )

A couple of other things to note.... A front loader actually dies a better job of getting the laundry clean, if it is a full to really full load. Small loads do not come as clean, IMO. I think it is sort of like the old washboard days, and when full, the laundry rubs against itself and gets cleaner. No problem making full loads around here, since I have covers on the furniture, and I can always add those in to make a full load.

And, it you have well water, like I do, it is very important to use the washing machine cleaner (Affresh, or similar) monthly, more often if the washer is getting used more than a couple of times a week. Mineral deposits will build up, if you do not. Just not enough water used by them to flush all away. I think I can do a load of King sized sheets, all of my jeans from the week, shirts too, and even the bath towels in a full load, and use less than 3 gallons of water. They also spin so much harder and faster that it cuts drying time down considerably. Since the dryer uses the most electricity, that saves money with each load too!

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the real feedback ddinham, HH, and farmgirl.:drinks:

It's no wonder why your assistant quit Gizmo.:nunu:

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
Put the front loader up on cinder blocks!!!! The new top loaders are designed to use less water now too, and will only fill 1/4 full on the rinse cycle. They will beat the dickens out of your clothing, and you'll be having to buy new clothes more often. I'm hearing the rinse cycle doesn't remove the soap well, and that you have to mix any fabric softener with 1L warm water separately, before adding it to the washer. I have a friend that does appliance repair. He says he never hears the end of the complaints, and there is nothing he can legally do, as they are "working" as they "should".
My wife bought one (don't remember what kind) a couple years ago with no agitator. Results identical to what farmgirl says. Kept it about nine months and got an old-fashioned GE with an agitator and manual controls. Probably made in China, Botswana or someplace else in the thrid world. I don't care, wife is happy, clothes are clean.

Gizmo, it is not required to buy a dryer with a washer. They do sell them separatly, just like tractors and attachments.:laugh:

diesel is setting the bar quite high for those of us still buying attachments. Vaccuum cleaner was tolerable, but a high-class washer is getting expensive.:flag_of_truce:

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
diesel is setting the bar quite high for those of us still buying attachments. Vaccuum cleaner was tolerable, but a high-class washer is getting expensive.:flag_of_truce:
Now wait just a minute! Nothing has been bought just yet. :lol: At this point I'm just playing along with the idea. :tongue:

Yeah right. Who's kidding who around here?

·
8,558 Posts
I like having my units on pedestals, however, I am less than impressed with Whirlpools version of the pedestals. Unfortunately, pedestals are not interchangeable between brands. If you are keeping lightweight items in the pedestals, they are great, but they catch and drag if you put anything of weight in them. I used to buy Oxyclean in the large bulk box. Not good in the pedestal. So, I keep dust rags and the like in there, and heavier items on the shelf above my units. I do not know how the other brands pedestals perform.

But, if one is crafty, they can put the units on cinder blocks, and make their own drawers to fit under them.

If you get a front loader, you will ONLY use 1 tablespoon of detergent per load!!! Any more, and you will not get the soap rinsed out, due to the small volume of water used to rinse. That seems to be the hardest thing for those new to front loader to adapt to. Most clothes detergent is now HE approved, but I still look for the emblem. That will be lower suds forming. So, a container that used to last a month or two for laundry, will last a year now. Same with liquid fabric softener.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts