Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am chaning all my fluids and all was great until i got to the sump screen.. not much debris in there EXCEPT for a needle bearing or steel dowel pin!!! Its approximately an inch long and between a 1/16 and 1/8 in diameter... WHAT IS THAT!!!!!! Scared in western PA!!

I have 52 hours on it...

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
At a minimum, I'd suggest you send your dealer's service manager an email about it with a photo of the bearing roller/dowel pin to establish this was found during the warranty period.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am taking it over to them Monday morning! This is soooo sickening!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I just have to ask, was it inside or outside the screen? And since you are at 52 hours, this is your first hydro oil change?

If outside, do I assume that you probed around the sump opening after you removed the screen?

If inside, is it the magnet?

I remember different members discussing 1 magnet, 2 magnets and no magnets.i had a single magnet, roughly square in cross-section. Just wondering if JD is putting different magnets inside their screens.

Just my 2 cents, otherwise I can't imagine where else it may have came from.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I am taking it over to them Monday morning! This is soooo sickening!
If not the email, make sure you have some other form of paper trail documenting the issue, date, and hours on the machine.

·
Registered
700 Posts
So i am chaning all my fluids and all was great until i got to the sump screen.. not much debris in there EXCEPT for a needle bearing or steel dowel pin!!! Its approximately an inch long and between a 1/16 and 1/8 in diameter... WHAT IS THAT!!!!!! Scared in western PA!!

I have 52 hours on it...

Nothing runs like a Deere! :munch:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first service wasn't due until 200 hours as listed on the decal on my hood and in my manual. Thats new for the 2018's. The "pin" in question is in the first and second pics. I doubt i would have found it if i didnt pull the wheel!! I will never do this service again without pulling the wheel. You can see straight back into the sump. When i pulled the screen out the magnet was inside and it was only one at about 3.5 inches or so. It had powdery like metal shavings nothing major. I took a magnet stick and probed into the sump to get any extras.. i actually felt the pin while trying to get little pieces of rubber/silicone out. It was right at the sump opening. The bolt is a size reference and is used to hold the sump screen/housing in place. The little pin is steel.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First service on all fluids. Pin was outside the screen

·
Premium Member
13,080 Posts
The first service wasn't due until 200 hours as listed on the decal on my hood and in my manual. Thats new for the 2018's.
I have to shake my head every time I read this. 2018..... same tractor... same engine.... same transmission... the initial service has been recommended since the tractor was first introduced (and on the 1026R before that) but now magically it no longer needs the initial early fluid change. They are pulling the same "stunt" with the Lawn and Garden equipment - removing the initial 8-hour engine oil/filter change from the manual. Did you ever wonder why? It certainly isn't for the owner's benefit.

Ironically on the L&G equipment with the Kawasaki engines if you go to Kawasaki and get the OEM owner's manual it still recommends the 8-hour initial service.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Anyone know how they clean parts before assembly?

Some places use pin media and tumble them. Any chance this is one of those?
I ask because if the OP hasnt noticed any other issues, I find it hard to believe its from a bearing.
Id think if it were from a bearing, there would be more than one, and whatever shaft it was on would no longer be rotating as it should.

It is too small diameter to be a dowel pin for anything in there. Dowel pins are generally shorter and MUCH fatter.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
Anyone know how they clean parts before assembly?

Some places use pin media and tumble them. Any chance this is one of those?
I ask because if the OP hasnt noticed any other issues, I find it hard to believe its from a bearing.
Id think if it were from a bearing, there would be more than one, and whatever shaft it was on would no longer be rotating as it should.

It is too small diameter to be a dowel pin for anything in there. Dowel pins are generally shorter and MUCH fatter.
Learn something new every day! Did not know about Pin Media have seen lots of stone media. That pin my have come from casting casing and got stuck till you drove the tractor around for a while. For some reason the picture posting button is gone and I can't clear or see "Thanks"? This one might show them? https://img.etsystatic.com/il/bbba3b/1414865095/il_570xN.1414865095_4l4z.jpg?version=0

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your picture sure looks like what i found!! Man i hope thats all it is. There is no noisese or any vibration out of the norm!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Learn something new every day! Did not know about Pin Media have seen lots of stone media. That pin my have come from casting casing and got stuck till you drove the tractor around for a while. For some reason the picture posting button is gone and I can't clear or see "Thanks"? This one might show them? https://img.etsystatic.com/il/bbba3b/1414865095/il_570xN.1414865095_4l4z.jpg?version=0
Occam's razor. Needle bearings don't just come apart short of catastrophic failure. My bet is that it is a stowaway from a deburring operation as already speculated.

Al

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
Occam's razor. Needle bearings don't just come apart short of catastrophic failure. My bet is that it is a stowaway from a deburring operation as already speculated.

Al
True in most cases but I have found universal joints missing one before. Also in older transmission they use multiple little roller on shaft ends. I know I have taken a few apart and had to put those little suckers back in and have dropped them before too! There a pain to install but a little grease to hold them in place helps. A regular roller bearing inside a case you loose one and they will come apart. On a shaft end you could leave one out when there is say 35 of them and it may not cause hardly any damage due to so many supporting the load.

Here is tons of them; https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&authuser=0&biw=1366&bih=692&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=_E1nW5aaBve10PEPg5G-mAE&q=loose+needle+bearings&oq=loose+needle+bearings+&gs_l=img.1.0.0i30.46872.46872..50114...0.0..0.733.733.6-1......1....1..gws-wiz-img.6y1ZONJvFS8

https://slideplayer.com/5685364/18/images/6/Needle+Bearing+Design+Overview.jpg
Here is a picture I found using them loose. My thought was maybe they dropped one and did not know it?
You haven't put enough universal joints together if you never had one slip out and lay flat on the end. Then you wonder why it won't compress enough to put the snap ring in!! Done this a couple times over the last 50+ years. Thing is they can't just drop out of the part there installed. To me it did not come out of a part installed. I was thinking it could have been dropped. The Media Use sounds more plausible to me.
http://image.superchevy.com/f/73982534+w640+h640+q80+re0+cr1+st0/needle-bearings.jpg

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Im not saying thats what it is, just that its possible. I have no idea how Deere does this type of work, or rather how the part manufacturer has it done, as they dont do much themselves.
I just know that my first thought when I saw it was that it looked like a larger version of the stainless media I use for cleaning brass, or a roller out of a U joint (or similar), and that short of a catastrophic failure of that type of bearing, it wasnt likely to be a bearing. Less likely a bearing too because there is only one.

I sure hope thats all it is.

I would, however, still contact the dealer and let them know about it, because you never know.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Stainless steel pin media has become quite popular with the shooting/reloading cartridge crowd last few years. Never wears out and is easy to separate from the brass casings after cleaning. I am betting thats what this is.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
i'm wondering if maybe it came from the rockshaft somewhere if it is in fact a bearing?

·
Registered
49 Posts

Al
Yep. The chances of this part being a leftover from some failure are slim. You've operated the tractor for 50 hours with no issues, right? I hate to say it, but you're sort of faced with two options. Put it back together and run it or go down a rabbit hole of worry and cost trying to figure out exactly what this was and what damage (if any!!) it may have caused.

I'd document it with the dealer, but I'd put it back together and work the bejeezus out it.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts