·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did my 50 hour service today, and everything went well. Except for this:

114.JPG
120.JPG

FML.

Fortunately, I have a great dealer. Cazenovia Equipment in Oneonta, NY. I sent them those pictures and they are coming to get the tractor and bringing me an x570 or bigger to mow with in the mean time. They gave me zero grief about it, they are just going to take care of it.

These tractor dealers, they're pretty amazing. Some of them anyway. Glad mine is one of the good ones.

·
Premium Member
13,642 Posts

View attachment 384402
View attachment 384410

FML.

Fortunately, I have a great dealer. Cazenovia Equipment in Oneonta, NY. I sent them those pictures and they are coming to get the tractor and bringing me an x570 or bigger to mow with in the mean time. They gave me zero grief about it, they are just going to take care of it.

These tractor dealers, they're pretty amazing. Some of them anyway. Glad mine is one of the good ones.
Wow, that's not good:banghead: Cazenovia in Oneonta is my dealer too, the service manager Tom is top notch for sure:thumbup1gif: I just did my 50 hr last Sunday and was quite pleased at what the screen looked like.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just spoke to Tom! He's great.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

View attachment 384402
View attachment 384410

FML.

While you may have a great dealer, your photo speaks volumes to the ever increasing down the crapper quality of JD ag products. No one will ever convince me that you can source thousands of parts world wide & still control quality. Can't be done. And in today's world, JD is no different from the rest. There just assemblers not builders. Paying all that "Green" for Green may no longer be worth it. Just my own observation. Everything I own on four wheels is green.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While you may have a great dealer, your photo speaks volumes to the ever increasing down the crapper quality of JD ag products. No one will ever convince me that you can source thousands of parts world wide & still control quality. Can't be done. And in today's world, JD is no different from the rest. There just assemblers not builders. Paying all that "Green" for Green may no longer be worth it. Just my own observation. Everything I own on four wheels is green.
I don't think that's fair at all.

How many other people here pulled that out of their transmissions? I couldn't find any. How long could JD stay in business if they had to eat the cost of labor and parts for consistent crappy quality? How long could the dealers last, supplying loaner tractors and transporting faulty machines back and forth, going over 40 miles each way?

What you're seeing now is the information age. 20 years ago people were still having these problems and you had no clue. Now everyone sees it.

The tractor still works 100%. JD could say, "Sorry, you got some shavings, but it works right? So FU buddy!" But that's not their policy. They make it right the first time or they fix it.

To me, that says quality.

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
Personally, I see cause for concern, but not worry. At least not yet. With the dealer coming to get it and inspect it, it's under warranty, you're getting a loaner, I fail to see a major issue.

Yeah, it's a bit of a bummer. But more than likely it'll be ok.

I also wouldn't pay attention to Maddog's opinion. It's just that, an opinion. I certainly don't agree with him, but it's his right to feel that way. I just wish he wasn't so grumpy over it. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
12,721 Posts
Personally, I see cause for concern, but not worry. At least not yet. With the dealer coming to get it and inspect it, it's under warranty, you're getting a loaner, I fail to see a major issue.

I also wouldn't pay attention to Maddog's opinion. It's just that, an opinion. I certainly don't agree with him, but it's his right to feel that way. I just wish he wasn't so grumpy over it. :mocking:
Then again, what exactly would you expect the dealer to do about something like this? Tear the whole transaxle apart and inspect all the gears and bearings? I doubt that very much. Give you a new tractor? I doubt that also.

All they can do is fill it with oil, run it around, check the screen and deliver it back to you saying everything is A-OK. :)

·
Premium Member
13,642 Posts

Agreed 100% with you and Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
I don't think so. Most of the time a look see will be in order. Remove the rockshaft assembly maybe. Perhaps an analysis on the shavings will tell them where to go look. A simple dump and clean won't tell anyone anything. It will clean it out if all it was was building debris. That is possible as well.

This is why I wouldn't be overly concerned. They will inspect it. It will be covered under warranty. And best of all, it's on file with JD. Where's the issue?

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then again, what exactly would you expect the dealer to do about something like this? Tear the whole transaxle apart and inspect all the gears and bearings?
That's exactly what the service manager said they are going to do.

This is indicative of a major problem, one that will only get worse with time. If they do it now, they may find a few bad parts and replace them. If they wait until five years from now, they may be replacing the entire transaxle or worse.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Sorry for your debris. Glad you have a concerned dealer, I'm sure they can take care of this.

·
Premium Member
12,721 Posts
That's exactly what the service manager said they are going to do.

This is indicative of a major problem, one that will only get worse with time. If they do it now, they may find a few bad parts and replace them. If they wait until five years from now, they may be replacing the entire transaxle or worse.
Wow... that's surprising. Glad to hear they are going the extra mile.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Ouch , that looks nasty . Please let us know what the dealer says after repairs . :dunno:

·
Registered
968 Posts
I don't think so. Most of the time a look see will be in order. Remove the rockshaft assembly maybe. Perhaps an analysis on the shavings will tell them where to go look. A simple dump and clean won't tell anyone anything. It will clean it out if all it was was building debris. That is possible as well.

This is why I wouldn't be overly concerned. They will inspect it. It will be covered under warranty. And best of all, it's on file with JD. Where's the issue?

"where is the issue" .......... Well start with when this tractor goes out of warranty and the the whole thing STOPS.

Where is it a guarantee the thing will be covered.............. I think not. This is too much investment to go on faith.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"where is the issue" .......... Well start with when this tractor goes out of warranty and the the whole thing STOPS.

Where is it a guarantee the thing will be covered.............. I think not. This is too much investment to go on faith.
The whole point of a comprehensive and long warranty is to find things that were made wrong on your particular tractor. If a problem doesn't surface in 6 years, odds are it wasn't caused by a manufacturer's defect or dealer screw up.

My tractor is new. 50 hours and less than five months. I've got a ways to go.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My 1023e had two times as many chips in the filter for the 50hr hydro change, shrugged, ran it to 250 hours, clean as a whistle. Never missed a beat. I would say business as usual, that's why there is an initial 50hr change.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Did it have green and red things in it? :)

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
My 1023e had two times as many chips in the filter for the 50hr hydro change, shrugged, ran it to 250 hours, clean as a whistle. Never missed a beat. I would say business as usual, that's why there is an initial 50hr change.

Exactly. I wouldn't get overly worked up over this. It's a bit more than usual, but not crazy IMHO.

·
Registered
23,048 Posts

I've seen a lot of those screen pics here. I agree with you - have seen worse than this one.

The screen and magnets did their job. I would do the same as you and carry on.

The colored bits are likely small pieces of silicone that squeezed out when the casing pieces were mated at the factory.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts