Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The great oil debate got me interested so I decided to get to the bottom of it.

I called Yanmar. Spoke to a service engineer in the industrial engine dept.

Question : In your engines that are shipped to John Deere for installation in their compact
tractors, what oil are they shipped with?

Answer : None, they are shipped dry. Deere takes it from there and I would guess that
they are then equipped with break-in oil.

Question : What would you recommend using?

Answer : If it's for a Deere tractor, whatever Deere says.

Question : If it's not in a Deere tractor what would you recommend using?

Answer : Break in oil for the first 100 hours.

So, there you have it. Straight from the horses mouth.

Yanmar Engines : 770 877-9894

·
Registered
857 Posts

Question : In your engines that are shipped to John Deere for installation in their compact

Answer : None, they are shipped dry. Deere takes it from there and I would guess that

So in my owners manual, they only mention changing the engine oil every 200 hours. No mention of changing it before the first 200. So I assume that is why there is no mention of break in oil because it's done it's job before the first change.

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
I sure would have never guessed they were shipped sans oil. I wonder if Yanmar charges Deere extra for the assembled-dry-overly-tightened oil filters? :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
I guessed right. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! I filled mine back up with breakin oil day before yesterday. Was starting to wonder if I wasted my effort. Thanks for answering the long, lloooonnnngggg, talked about question.

·
Administrator
20,976 Posts
I sure would have never guessed they were shipped sans oil. I wonder if Yanmar charges Deere extra for the assembled-dry-overly-tightened oil filters? :laugh:
It wouldn’t be new if the filter wasn’t painted over and installed dry and over-tight. :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
Soooo... do you think Yanmar test runs these engines and then drains the oil out before shipping to JD or do you think JD is doing the first start and initial test run?

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Soooo... do you think Yanmar test runs these engines and then drains the oil out before shipping to JD or do you think JD is doing the first start and initial test run?
Good question. My machine hrs are 24 Less than motor hrs.

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
Good question. My machine hrs are 24 Less than motor hrs.
How are machine hrs different from engine hrs? I can't find anything in the manuals about this.

What is the approximate percentage of your machine hrs to engine hrs and why do you think there is such a difference? I mean, 24 hrs less than 400 hrs doesn't seem all that bad but 24 hrs less than 75 hrs is a lot.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
How are machine hrs different from engine hrs? I can't find anything in the manuals about this.

What is the approximate percentage of your machine hrs to engine hrs and why do you think there is such a difference? I mean, 24 hrs less than 400 hrs doesn't seem all that bad but 24 hrs less than 75 hrs is a lot.

Crazy thing is my engine is around 76hrs. So you weren't far off. Machine is 50 something. I'll check shortly as I have a couple of 20ton piles of #57 stone to move around

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would guess the first start is when the tractor moves off the assembly line. For the smaller engines. Guessing when you get into larger more expensive engines they are broken in on a stand/dyno unit. But certainly not for 100hrs. Probably 30mins to break in the valve train?

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
I was going to post a picture or two of the display but mobile view is different from what I'm use to. Maybe an older version due to pop ups in newer?

Anyway..my engine hrs are 76.5, machine hrs are 59.5, and PTO hrs are 13.3. 17 hrs difference between machine and engine. Don't know the reason but could be underway hrs versus idle hrs(unlikely but possible). Or engine has ran 17 hrs somewhere else other than my tractor. Maybe in the Yanmar factory for testing. Then shipped to Georgia for assembly with the tractor. New 2032r/2038r are assembled in Georgia. I'd bet allot of money that the Yanmar motor is test run before shipping to the US.

·
Registered
92 Posts

So how is the engine run tested without oil, how is it then driven out of assembly and onto a delivery truck and into the dealers lot. Does not make sense. No oil when it leaves the factory

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
So how is the engine run tested without oil, how is it then driven out of assembly and onto a delivery truck and into the dealers lot. Does not make sense. No oil when it leaves the factory
the part about no oil is when the engine is shipped to the factory. once Deere installs it in the tractor it is filled with out. When we built tractors at Farmall one of my first jobs was filling transmissions and checking all the fluids. What a nasty job. It was always where a new guy started out. Once the engine and tranny and rear axels were married then it went thru the OIL pit. all the fluids were filled and checked. everything from tranny oil to engine oil to antifreeze. it was in your station and you had 3 minutes to get it filled and checked. next station was the platform and counsel the inspection checked all fluids. I took that job to get off second shift and had it for about 6 weeks then was able to transfer to the tire room. I was never so happy to get off a job. You wore this heavy apron that was soaked with fluids and a hat over your hair and these stupid goggles. NO FUN

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
This is referring to when the engine leaves the Yanmar factory. At that point it is likely just a bare engine on a pallet or in a crate.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
I guessed right. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! I filled mine back up with breakin oil day before yesterday. Was starting to wonder if I wasted my effort. Thanks for answering the long, lloooonnnngggg, talked about question.
No offense but I don't think the "what oil is in JD compact tractors with Yanmar motor" question has been answered. Only because the vague literature that JD produces.

"Answer : If it's for a Deere tractor, whatever Deere says."

Now if you want to go by what Yanmar recommended then you put in break in oil. Which would be a safe bet.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
Not sure about the Break In Oil but I asked at the Local JD Dealer what to change my oil with and they said Chevron Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 same thing we run in our Cummins Engine in the Dodge. 150 hours and it has not used any oil which I am very happy with! My old 1969 MF135 leaked a bunch out the rear seal for almost 13 years of owning it. Did not want to tear in down cause oil was cheap to buy? I would have had to split the tractor and remove the loader to do the job. With over 11,000+ hours on the original engine/tractor I figured some oil leaking was not that much of a problem and I was lucky that was all that was wrong. I had lots of oil I used my oil from my Water Tender oil changes cause I only put a couple thousand miles on it before changing 12+ gals of it at the end of each fire season. PS I will never do this to my new JD Tractor!! Never owned any tractor that was new before.

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
Not sure about the Break In Oil but I asked at the Local JD Dealer what to change my oil with and they said Chevron Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 same thing we run in our Cummins Engine in the Dodge.
A JD dealer not recommending Plus-50 II for a new tractor? That's a first. And 15W-40 in Washington State no less. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
A JD dealer not recommending Plus-50 II for a new tractor? That's a first. And 15W-40 in Washington State no less. :dunno:
I thought it was strange to with all the special oils they have for big bucks. The person who told me this was my salesman and I have known him for close to 20 years.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
You just made me do some checking on Delo 400LE and JD 50II and here is what I found a comparison test between the 2 oils. http://www.parmanenergy.com/sites/default/files/Delo%20400%20LE%20%20-%20John%20deere%20Benchtesting%20and%20teardown.pdf
Thanks for the very interesting info. Definitely has me thinking of "alternative" oil when it comes time. Not to say there is anything wrong with the recommendation of use of JD oil when it comes time to change. Even the manual states an alternative can be used as long as it meets a certain criteria. I'm sure there are plenty of oils that meet it but like others have stated before, you need to be sure of the weight chosen meets the temp range.

Reactions: PJR832 and JD4044M
1 - 20 of 30 Posts