Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first oil change today on my gator and it took me forever to get the factory installed oil filter off. I used every imaginable oil filter tool I had including the one that goes on a ratchet that is the size of the back of the filter, the strap style that also fastens on the end of a ratchet and other traditional oil filter wrench’s. After I was going to give it a break I tried my larger channel lock wrench and it finally broke loose. I was just wondering what you guys used the first time you had to take the factory tightened oil filter off. I should have posted this before I tackled this task but maybe the next guy will have better luck.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I have a filter wrench that is basically a Channel Lock with big round jaws. Once you crush it, you can get enough force to turn it. My issue with my gator if I recall, it was damn tight AND only had a couple degrees of access.
It will be easier next time.
I have to change the oil in the front and rear end soon. I’m sure that will be a treat.:laugh:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a filter wrench that is basically a Channel Lock with big round jaws. Once you crush it, you can get enough force to turn it. My issue with my gator if I recall, it was damn tight AND only had a couple degrees of access.
It will be easier next time.
I have to change the oil in the front and rear end soon. I’m sure that will be a treat.:laugh:
I think I’ll have to look for the channel lock filter wrench since I had to use the regular channel locks to break it free. I only hand tightened it this time so it’s got to be easier next time. Let me know how the front and rear oil change goes and if you have any suggestions after doing it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I don't have a gator, but generally speaking of oil filter wrenches. I like a rubber strap oil filter wrench. I clean the filter and rubber strap with alcohol before I use it, so it will have the best grip. As long as their is room for it around where the filter is located, it has always works great for me.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Well I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who had a problem with the first oil change on the 835 (mine is a 835m). I couldn't get it off and finally had to call the dealer, he came by with a set of different size oil filter (caps) and found one that fit tight enough to get it off.

Going to have them do the 100 hour and do a checkup of the vehicle. They will pick it up and deliver for free. They are 60 miles away. Can't beat the service at Sloan's John Deere.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a gator, but generally speaking of oil filter wrenches. I like a rubber strap oil filter wrench. I clean the filter and rubber strap with alcohol before I use it, so it will have the best grip. As long as their is room for it around where the filter is located, it has always works great for me.
I like using the rubber strap ones also and I tried it on this one with no luck. Like you mentioned there wasn’t much room around it. You could get the strap around it but you needed to get a tight grip on it from the get go and be able to move it without much play.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who had a problem with the first oil change on the 835 (mine is a 835m). I couldn't get it off and finally had to call the dealer, he came by with a set of different size oil filter (caps) and found one that fit tight enough to get it off.

Going to have them do the 100 hour and do a checkup of the vehicle. They will pick it up and deliver for free. They are 60 miles away. Can't beat the service at Sloan's John Deere.
I also had the ratchet filter cap and it fit snug but it kept slipping off. When I got my channel locks around it it had a firm enough grip to where it wouldn’t slip and I could move it enough to start turning it. I think Arlen was right as far as buying the channel locks oil filter wrench for this application. Sounds like you bought yours from a good dealer and they are more than willing to make sure that you are happy. I hope you didn’t let them put it on extra tight again as I only tightened mine as hard as I could by hand so next time I won’t have such a difficult time getting it off 😁

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I also had the ratchet filter cap and it fit snug but it kept slipping off. When I got my channel locks around it it had a firm enough grip to where it wouldn’t slip and I could move it enough to start turning it. I think Arlen was right as far as buying the channel locks oil filter wrench for this application. Sounds like you bought yours from a good dealer and they are more than willing to make sure that you are happy. I hope you didn’t let them put it on extra tight again as I only tightened mine as hard as I could by hand so next time I won’t have such a difficult time getting it off ��
I have one like THIS that I bought at napa. It's really only good for removal, but that's OK. It also works good for the cogged locking rings for fuel filters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Initial 835R Filter Change

I ran into the exact same thing with the first oil filter change on my JD 835R. Had to use the filter channel lock type pliers to remove the oil filter like others have done. I've encountered this issue before with new motors where it appeared the engine was painted and sealed the filter on to the engine block. Not sure that was the same situation with the 835R. Filter removal the next time should go a lot easier.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ran into the exact same thing with the first oil filter change on my JD 835R. Had to use the filter channel lock type pliers to remove the oil filter like others have done. I've encountered this issue before with new motors where it appeared the engine was painted and sealed the filter on to the engine block. Not sure that was the same situation with the 835R. Filter removal the next time should go a lot easier.
looks like the consensus is the Channel Lock style oil filter remover is the best tool for removing the oil filter on your first oil change for the 835 models :bigthumb:.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,668 Posts
I have one like THIS that I bought at napa. It's really only good for removal, but that's OK. It also works good for the cogged locking rings for fuel filters.
I use the Auto Zone version. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It’s not only Gators that are affected by this. I think everyone has done the same as you - did what you had to to get the factory filter off.

It is what it is.
No doubt, want to watch a really bad example, search for "how not to change an oil filter" on youtube, posted by MN Millennial Farmer. It's on a JD sprayer, and it's stuck bad...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts