Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 55 hrs on my tractor (3046R) it's time to do my yearly oil change, do you think it'd be safe to go to Rotella 5-40 synthetic, or should I hold off until my next change for synthetic?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Do it.

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
Personally, I think 40 hours is broke in enough for Synthetic.....

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I don't have an opinion on this. But I do have a question. At the next oil change which I assume you will do around the next 55 hours, do you really need a syn oil? What I'm asking I guess is that 55 hours & then a change out does not really justify the cost of a syn.

I'm only asking to understand what your reasoning is behind it. As I said I don't have an opinion here, I'm just curious as to why people fee they need these syn oils. I've got engines that have thousands of hours on them with nothing but JD Plus oil in past years, but now I'm running Rotella 15W 40 with no issues. :unknown::gizmo:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I don't have an opinion on this. But I do have a question. At the next oil change which I assume you will do around the next 55 hours, do you really need a syn oil? What I'm asking I guess is that 55 hours & then a change out does not really justify the cost of a syn.

I'm only asking to understand what your reasoning is behind it. As I said I don't have an opinion here, I'm just curious as to why people fee they need these syn oils. I've got engines that have thousands of hours on them with nothing but JD Plus oil in past years, but now I'm running Rotella 15W 40 with no issues. :unknown::gizmo:
On equipment with high hours, synth oil doesn't break down as fast/much as conventional.
On equipment with minimal use, synth oil is better cold start lubrication, less drain down, etc.
It's better in cold temps (if that's something you deal with) making starts easier.

I run synth in everything. Even my push mower that gets used under 10 hours a year gets the same premium synthetic oil as our daily driver vehicles.
Partially because I have it on hand, partially as I know its quality and I don't want to worry about engine issues.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
On equipment with high hours, synth oil doesn't break down as fast/much as conventional.
On equipment with minimal use, synth oil is better cold start lubrication, less drain down, etc.
It's better in cold temps (if that's something you deal with) making starts easier.

I run synth in everything. Even my push mower that gets used under 10 hours a year gets the same premium synthetic oil as our daily driver vehicles.
Partially because I have it on hand, partially as I know its quality and I don't want to worry about engine issues.
OK-My equipment is no longer subjected to low temps. I'm in S. Carolina. So what do you consider "high hours" & what do you regard as "break down". Originally I was asking about the low hours OP was stating. So if we put the low hours aside, can you give me some more info about what high hours on equipment are & how do you determine when a oil is breaking down unless you send it to a lab for analysis. I might sound like I'm trying to start an argument here, but really I am not. I just want to learn about this stuff because I have no intentions of buying new equipment. At this stage in my life OLD is the key word & I just want to make sure my stuff keeps working for me until I take my final $XXX!:laugh:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
OK-My equipment is no longer subjected to low temps. I'm in S. Carolina. So what do you consider "high hours" & what do you regard as "break down". Originally I was asking about the low hours OP was stating. So if we put the low hours aside, can you give me some more info about what high hours on equipment are & how do you determine when a oil is breaking down unless you send it to a lab for analysis. I might sound like I'm trying to start an argument here, but really I am not. I just want to learn about this stuff because I have no intentions of buying new equipment. At this stage in my life OLD is the key word & I just want to make sure my stuff keeps working for me until I take my final $XXX!:laugh:
When I said high hours, I was referring to amount of usage. So one that hit the manufacturer recommended hours for oil change or more in a year.
That being said, high hour use is relative (to an extent) as to the work being done with those hours.

For example, 2 tractors with 250 hours on the oil, one only used to putter around and haul misc. items in the bucket, the other is used exclusively on a high rpm PTO implement (wood chipper for example).
I would be more willing to stretch the oil change interval on the one puttering around PROVIDED the engine was brought up to temp to ensure evaporation of moisture build up.

As for determining if oil is breaking down, the only real way is a lab sample. Some say they can tell by the feel, but :dunno:
But, there have been many tests done, and synthetic oil does not break down as quickly or as much as conventional.

With the low hour/low use advantage of synthetic.
All oil leaves a film on a surface, this is what protects it from wear and corrosion. The longer something sits, the less oil remains on that surface.
Synthetic is better about keeping that layer of protection, thus reducing wear on startup after long periods of non use.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
When I said high hours, I was referring to amount of usage. So one that hit the manufacturer recommended hours for oil change or more in a year.
That being said, high hour use is relative (to an extent) as to the work being done with those hours.

For example, 2 tractors with 250 hours on the oil, one only used to putter around and haul misc. items in the bucket, the other is used exclusively on a high rpm PTO implement (wood chipper for example).
I would be more willing to stretch the oil change interval on the one puttering around PROVIDED the engine was brought up to temp to ensure evaporation of moisture build up.

As for determining if oil is breaking down, the only real way is a lab sample. Some say they can tell by the feel, but :dunno:
But, there have been many tests done, and synthetic oil does not break down as quickly or as much as conventional.

With the low hour/low use advantage of synthetic.
All oil leaves a film on a surface, this is what protects it from wear and corrosion. The longer something sits, the less oil remains on that surface.
Synthetic is better about keeping that layer of protection, thus reducing wear on startup after long periods of non use.
There is no question that syn oils have greater "sticking" ability over conventional. If I'm correct, syn oils were developed for use in aviation engines when aircraft began flying at ever higher altitudes & conventional oil could no longer work at the extreme cold of the upper atmosphere. From there they made there way into other military applications & the commercial world. So they have been around a very long time. My only point was that are these syn oils a necessity for average use. I do not think they are necessary for average use. When you shop for oil the labels scream at you to buy this stuff. And you see less & less conventional oils on the shelf. WHY? Is it just a lot of marketing hype. Is it to reduce fossil oils so the world will last 13 years instead of 12. Yes under very severe conditions syn oils are a factor. But how many every day users have equipment in use under severe conditions for a sustained time?

Syn oils are great. So are high quality fossil oils. Personally speaking, I have never had a problem using conventional oil, so for me there is very little incentive to spend the $$$ for syn oil or the syn blends. Going back to the OP here, I was just questioning the hours between changes which I think was 55. I just think that 55 hours regardless of oil type is a short time unless it is taking a year or longer to get to the 55. In that case I would change out sooner, maybe at the 40 hour mark or even 30 with a conventional oil. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
There is no question that syn oils have greater "sticking" ability over conventional. If I'm correct, syn oils were developed for use in aviation engines when aircraft began flying at ever higher altitudes & conventional oil could no longer work at the extreme cold of the upper atmosphere. From there they made there way into other military applications & the commercial world. So they have been around a very long time. My only point was that are these syn oils a necessity for average use. I do not think they are necessary for average use. When you shop for oil the labels scream at you to buy this stuff. And you see less & less conventional oils on the shelf. WHY? Is it just a lot of marketing hype. Is it to reduce fossil oils so the world will last 13 years instead of 12. Yes under very severe conditions syn oils are a factor. But how many every day users have equipment in use under severe conditions for a sustained time?

Syn oils are great. So are high quality fossil oils. Personally speaking, I have never had a problem using conventional oil, so for me there is very little incentive to spend the $$$ for syn oil or the syn blends. Going back to the OP here, I was just questioning the hours between changes which I think was 55. I just think that 55 hours regardless of oil type is a short time unless it is taking a year or longer to get to the 55. In that case I would change out sooner, maybe at the 40 hour mark or even 30 with a conventional oil. :dunno:
Is it necessary? Absolutely not. Will it benefit the life of the equipment? More than likely. Will the increased life be noticeable financially to justify the increased cost of synthetic? Doubtful.

Is it necessary for me to have a 2320 to maintain my yard? Nope, I could shovel the drive and mow with a push mower, but it's a LOT easier on my body. :laugh:

To me, the peace of mind and benefits outweigh the increased cost of synth vs conventional. YMMV.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Is it necessary? Absolutely not. Will it benefit the life of the equipment? More than likely. Will the increased life be noticeable financially to justify the increased cost of synthetic? Doubtful.

Is it necessary for me to have a 2320 to maintain my yard? Nope, I could shovel the drive and mow with a push mower, but it's a LOT easier on my body. :laugh:

To me, the peace of mind and benefits outweigh the increased cost of synth vs conventional. YMMV.
Hard to argue with that:cheers:

·
Registered
15 Posts
We just picked up a 2017 5065e with 60 hours. It has close to 70 now and I plan to run T6 in it around 75 hours (wanted to put a few on it messing around and getting used to the machine). Dealer said 50 hours was enough for break in (talked me out of getting more break in oil). I told him I will run Rotella T6 in it and said that was a good choice (I pretty much run that oil in every engine I own from my 4 stroke outboard, Yamaha Rhino, Toyotas, Infiniti QX 56, etc).

Also, don't forget to look and see if Rotella is running any rebates at the time you purchase. They usually have something going on, it seems. Last purchase I made was eligible for $7/gal rebate up to 4 in that quarter, IIRC. Wal-Mart has it for around $22.50/gal so that's $15.50/gal, net. Not too shabby.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts