Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weather was good today so went ahead and done the first oil change. Tractor at 48.6 hours, close enough, I’ll call it 50. I put Beak In Plus back in it. Not sure if that was what was in it or not, but it won’t hurt it either way. At 100 hours I will change it to JD 0W-40.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just bought my little 3038 from a JD mechanic. He said that they do not even use break-in oil anymore. He said that tests showed that break-in oil was not beneficial and it may have been Yanmar (don't remember for sure) that said none of the break-in oil is good. Don't know much about it, but that is what he told me.

Reactions: Levi and PJR832

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
JD put out a memo stating that they put breakin oil in every JD engine that leaves the line. We have never been able to prove one way or the other. But I do know that synthetic will keep a new engine from breaking in. I’m going to run it to 100 hours either way.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: Levi and PJR832

·
Registered
23,570 Posts
Dealership stuck it on there
I’m not picking on you personally Yank - but I hate any kind of advertisement. That goes for advertisements on vehicles and tractors also. Used to be I got the heat gun out as soon as I got home - now I refuse to take it if they put any advertisement on anything I buy.

You have a beautiful tractor - it’s a shame to ruin it with a sticker like that. Unless of course they are paying you to advertise for them.

To each their own of course.

·
Premium Member
14,147 Posts
I’m not picking on you personally Yank - but I hate any kind of advertisement. That goes for advertisements on vehicles and tractors also. Used to be I got the heat gun out as soon as I got home - now I refuse to take it if they put any advertisement on anything I buy.

You have a beautiful tractor - it’s a shame to ruin it with a sticker like that. Unless of course they are paying you to advertise for them.

I felt the same way Stan, mine didn't have a dealer sticker on it when I took delivery. Then i started sharing photos to the dealerships facebook page and I got a call from my salesman one day out of the blue. He said "hey Pat, if I give you stickers will you put them on your tractor?" Theirs aren't bad looking so I put them on. They did give me a couple of hats and a pair of gloves. They are a top quality dealership, I don't mind advertising for them.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
JD put out a memo stating that they put breakin oil in every JD engine that leaves the line. We have never been able to prove one way or the other. But I do know that synthetic will keep a new engine from breaking in. I’m going to run it to 100 hours either way.
Used oil analysis would tell you if the factory oil was a break in type or not. Those oils are supposedly higher in moly and or ZZDP than regular oils. A fairly inexpensive test would put those questions to rest (for your machine at least, but should hold true across the board).

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,364 Posts
Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
173 Posts
My new 5100M has break in oil in it, and the manual states that if oil is to be added, it should be break in oil until the the first oil change happens. It also states that the factory oil needs to be ran for at least 100 hrs, not to exceed 250.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Here we go.... another oil debate. :munch: I say change the oil however with whatever and whenever you feel is best for you. It's a shame JD has a crazy amount of diagrams and literature that is so vague on what each pertains to. I'm following the manual that was given to me when I purchased the tractor and has big bold words that say "Operators manual, 2032r and 2038r" to change it out. It reads 200hrs or annually. It also lists two recommended oil types, neither of which is JD break in oil. I'm sure if break in oil was used, it would definitely be in the manual some where and directions of how long to leave it in. That's just my thinking. To each their own! But number 1 rule is to have fun and be safe in whatever you do!

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
Here we go.... another oil debate. :munch: I say change the oil however with whatever and whenever you feel is best for you. It's a shame JD has a crazy amount of diagrams and literature that is so vague on what each pertains to.
You sure hit the nail on the head! There are multiple manuals that contradict each other, confusing maintenance guides and if you ask 5 dealers you'll likely get 5 different answers.

It's no wonder so many new tractor owners are confused on how their machine should be maintained.

Doing an oil change shouldn't be rocket science.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Then 90% of the vehicles on the road today don't have broke in engines, as manufacturers are putting in synthetic oil at the factory.
I don't know how an oil could keep the engine from breaking in anyway :dunno: Decrease wear, sure, but not eliminate it 100%.

In my experiences, when going in for a service/repair, if the equipment has the sticker of that dealer, it often gets a bit higher priority than one with no sticker or a competitor sticker. YMMV
Then again, my tractor is also a tool. I'm not in it to win show and shine competitions! :laugh:

·
Registered
23,570 Posts
Then 90% of the vehicles on the road today don't have broke in engines, as manufacturers are putting in synthetic oil at the factory.
I don't know how an oil could keep the engine from breaking in anyway :dunno: Decrease wear, sure, but not eliminate it 100%.

In my experiences, when going in for a service/repair, if the equipment has the sticker of that dealer, it often gets a bit higher priority than one with no sticker or a competitor sticker. YMMV
Then again, my tractor is also a tool. I'm not in it to win show and shine competitions! :laugh:
Show and shine? Not here by a long shot. And I don't believe for a minute that a dealer's sticker on a tractor gives it priority. They know if you bought it from them without the sticker.

I am not paid to advertise for them and won't. Even if they offered to pay me to put their sticker on my tractor or truck I wouldn't do it. I think all of them look just terrible on a nice tractor - especially the big stickers on a small tractor.

To each their own.....

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
I'm no expert but the more I read about oil the more confused I get. There is a lot of science and chemistry that goes into modern oils other than just making them slippery. Break-in oil has additives to aid in breaking in the right parts while keeping other parts from wearing. Obviously modern automobiles get away with synthetic oil from the factory but most small engines warn against using synthetic oil too soon.

Here is some interesting information just posted today:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/tractor-equipment-maintenance/153137-oil-change-info-yanmar.html

That is a fact although I think it has more to do with purchasing the equipment at the servicing dealer rather than the presence of a sticker.

Guilty as charged! I wash my tractor periodically and give it a good waxing a couple times a year. :)

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
I am not paid to advertise for them and won't. Even if they offered to pay me to put their sticker on my tractor or truck I wouldn't do it. I think all of them look just terrible on a nice tractor - especially the big stickers on a small tractor.
I sort of agree although my tractor still has the sticker on it. It's not overly large and I was too lazy to pull it off and clean the sticky goop off. Some dealers get carried away and place their stickers on the tractor, loader and every implement. Maybe that's what the free hat was for? :)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Show and shine? Not here by a long shot. And I don't believe for a minute that a dealer's sticker on a tractor gives it priority. They know if you bought it from them without the sticker.

To each their own.....
Guess it would depend on the sticker too.
My dealer (even though I bought used private party, same dealer) sticker "blends in" and works with the rest of the deere decals.
At least, it looks better than all the warning labels on the loader!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
Changed oil today. Actually it was time for my 200 hour fluid change too. More like 250 hours though. As for the engine oil, I had 1 quart of the 0W-40 that I bought a while back, so I only bought 3 quarts for this engine oil change. JD must have reformulated their JD Plus 50 0W-40. Part numbers are the same but specs are a bit different. I doubt it matters if I mixed them.

Jaygayman posted about a change in the formula back in July of '17.

As for my other fluids, I screwed up when I did my trans fluid. I already had 3 gallons in, and decided to let it settle a bit before adding more. I went around and greased the few fittings that there are, and lubed up a bunch of moving parts. That's when I noticed it. I FORGOT about removing the strainer screen!!:banghead: Doggone it anyway! I guess I have to get more Low Vis Hy-Guard, and do the job right. I already had a new O ring for the cover plate. I bought 2 when I did the initial 50 hour. So it not being with all the other new stuff, outta sight, outta mind! Oh well.

·
Registered
23,570 Posts
Changed oil today. Actually it was time for my 200 hour fluid change too. More like 250 hours though. As for the engine oil, I had 1 quart of the 0W-40 that I bought a while back, so I only bought 3 quarts for this engine oil change. JD must have reformulated their JD Plus 50 0W-40. Part numbers are the same but specs are a bit different. I doubt it matters if I mixed them.

Jaygayman posted about a change in the formula back in July of '17.

As for my other fluids, I screwed up when I did my trans fluid. I already had 3 gallons in, and decided to let it settle a bit before adding more. I went around and greased the few fittings that there are, and lubed up a bunch of moving parts. That's when I noticed it. I FORGOT about removing the strainer screen!!:banghead: Doggone it anyway! I guess I have to get more Low Vis Hy-Guard, and do the job right. I already had a new O ring for the cover plate. I bought 2 when I did the initial 50 hour. So it not being with all the other new stuff, outta sight, outta mind! Oh well.
Don’t feel too bad Greg - I really have to concentrate on what I am doing or will mess stuff like that up.

I would drain the hydro fluid into a clean container and reuse it myself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts