Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1025R has about 33 hours on it and will be due for an annual oil change here in a few months. I noticed that during the first 15 hours or so that the engine oil stayed pretty clear which I found a bit unusual for a diesel.... normally it turns black in short order lol. Well here we are around 30 something hours and the oil is becoming darker. I've read posts on here from others with < 50 hours saying their oil was pretty clear. So my concern is I'm not loading this new engine enough for it to burn clean. What do yall think? Chain it to dump truck and have a pulling contest for a couple hours? Buy a PTO generator and attempt to power the entire neighborhood?

The usual load on this thing is mowing with my 60D (at PTO RPM) although I do run it full throttle down the road sometimes for lunch at the local bar n grill. And yeah I know, full throttle on a diesel without a load is really just fast idle, but she does sound like she's under at least somewhat of a load when mowing. Don't have a tiller or else I'd just rip up some ground with that for a couple hours. Will be getting a box blade probably this winter, but only to maintain my driveway which probably won't be too hard for this machine.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Running your MMM should be plenty of load for the engine.
Thanks, I thought so and I normally run in H range too just to help load it up. Actually I always try to make equipment work hard (NOT abuse it, just make it work) as it's good for engines in general to get warm and stay there.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
My 1025R has about 33 hours on it and will be due for an annual oil change here in a few months. I noticed that during the first 15 hours or so that the engine oil stayed pretty clear which I found a bit unusual for a diesel.... normally it turns black in short order lol. Well here we are around 30 something hours and the oil is becoming darker. I've read posts on here from others with < 50 hours saying their oil was pretty clear. So my concern is I'm not loading this new engine enough for it to burn clean. What do yall think? Chain it to dump truck and have a pulling contest for a couple hours? Buy a PTO generator and attempt to power the entire neighborhood?

The usual load on this thing is mowing with my 60D (at PTO RPM) although I do run it full throttle down the road sometimes for lunch at the local bar n grill. And yeah I know, full throttle on a diesel without a load is really just fast idle, but she does sound like she's under at least somewhat of a load when mowing. Don't have a tiller or else I'd just rip up some ground with that for a couple hours. Will be getting a box blade probably this winter, but only to maintain my driveway which probably won't be too hard for this machine.
You are fine. I ran mine to 200 hours . No issues and im near 900.

john Deere 1025R
loader
backhoe
47 in tiller
47 blower
5ft landscape rake
10 KW pto generator
Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Reactions: dixie460

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
You don't need 3000 rpm to do mowing. I used 2500 rpm on the 1025R and now on the 2025R. Only need 18.5 hp for mowing unless you slap something like a 6 foot bush hog on it. That hp is what I had on the 4010.

Load it up, and you'll darken the oil more, not keep it from darkening.

I'd follow the advice of the last poster re run length. Don't need to change every year unless you do A LOT of short stops and starts.

Luckily, your 1025R is not like our 240D Benz. Its oil was always coal black, even about 5 seconds after each change.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I mow at WOT (slightly above PTO 2100 @~2160) and regularly in H lose RPMs going up hills thus the WOT. I prefer to keep the blade tip speed up while mowing and have dark oil, only reason I can think of to run less than WOT for mowing is fuel savings but the ~$0.30/hr isn't enough to justify it to me. These little yanmar's are designed to run at WOT for thousands of hours.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don't need 3000 rpm to do mowing. I used 2500 rpm on the 1025R and now on the 2025R. Only need 18.5 hp for mowing unless you slap something like a 6 foot bush hog on it. That hp is what I had on the 4010.

Load it up, and you'll darken the oil more, not keep it from darkening.

I'd follow the advice of the last poster re run length. Don't need to change every year unless you do A LOT of short stops and starts.

Luckily, your 1025R is not like our 240D Benz. Its oil was always coal black, even about 5 seconds after each change.
Yeah I've noticed the same, plenty of power for mowing even running at ~2500 RPM, and I've done just that on occasion. But, at least with my grass (actually a mixture of grass and whatever weeds feel like growing that week) I get better discharge and less windrows when I run at PTO speed, so that's normally where I run.

Did not know that about oil darkening more under load, I thought it was the other way round. I actually was considering skipping the annual oil change and just waiting at least til 100 hours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.