Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up with oil consumption in newer designed cars. I really think 1 quart in 1200 - 2000 miles is a bit much on a newer car. :confused:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Where did you find someone that calls that acceptable? Seems wrong to me, especially on a new car.

I will say, it's not terribly shocking if it's true. A little, but with the ever- present push for better fuel mileage manufacturers are going to lighter and lighter weight oils. Not terribly surprising that thinner oil could get past the rings, etc and be used.

·
Registered
456 Posts
20 years ago burning a quart in a new engine was normal because the piston rings would have to seat into the cross hatch in the cylinder walls, which was known as the engine break in period. Piston ring technology and the cylinder honing process has drastically changed. If you're burning a quart in your 1st 2,000 I think it is odd, but maybe not a problem. If you burn another quart in your next 2,000 I would say there is a problem your dealer and warranty need to address for you.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yahoo!
Hondas Chevy's, Mazda's, Mitsubishi, Ford, Subaru....just about all of them.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
There has been an ongoing issue on some Chevy and GMC trucks with high oil consumption. The exact year models and engines escapes me at the moment. Busy working on a tractor right now. :think:

·
Premium Member
14,724 Posts
A women came in store the other day bought a 6 pack of 0-20 , or 5-20 can't remember weight of oil . Said she had a 12 or 2013 Jeep, using more than a qt of oil every Tank full of GAS. for some reason , I'm thinking it was less than 250 miles per qt . She was told by the dealer this is NORMAL. Hard to believe this would be normal .,,I advised her to go to a different dealer or contact Jeep. Don't know what engine , 4 -6 - or 8 cyl. either way ..

·
Registered
456 Posts
A women came in store the other day bought a 6 pack of 0-20 , or 5-20 can't remember weight of oil . Said she had a 12 or 2013 Jeep, using more than a qt of oil every Tank full of GAS. for some reason , I'm thinking it was less than 250 miles per qt . She was told by the dealer this is NORMAL. Hard to believe this would be normal .,,I advised her to go to a different dealer or contact Jeep. Don't know what engine , 4 -6 - or 8 cyl. either way ..
Any engine whether new or ancient that burns a quart of oil every tank of gas has serious problems! For a vehicle that is a 2012 or 2013 that engine should be taken out and fixed. To burn oil that bad the piston rings must be shot already or maybe someone came into work drunk and put a ring or two on the piston upside down at the factory. The valve seals or valve guides are extremely worn. None of this should happen in a vehicle that new. Or there's a good sized leak somewhere.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I bet there's a leak. It would be smoking something terrible if it burned that much. I'd definitely find a new dealer.

Jim

·
Registered
206 Posts
My 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500hd 6.0 gas, that I bought new, used 0 amount of oil from 3 miles on the OD when I purchased. I just traded it 2 weeks ago it had 43,000 miles on it.

That truck was worked HARD... That's my only experience... but I'd agree with the sentiment that you COULD blow through some oil ONLY during break in... but after that the engine better be tight as a drum at least to 100k, if not 200k.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Per GM guidelines the accepted rate of oil consumption for engines is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi). For the most part most GM vehicles are well within those guidelines. There have been some piston ring sealing issues mostly higher mileage (40k-up) together with extended oil change intervals, some owners have gone 8-12K mi or more between oil changes thanks partly to GM's engine oil life monitoring system which GM has realized and has released ECM updates to address that issue on certain models, even with the OLMS updates 5-6k mi is the norm oil change interval. GM Dexos1 spec oil for most engines is synthetic blend 5w30 and 0w-20 for the new 2014 5.3 and 6.2L V-8 truck engines and the Duramax 6.6L diesel is still using conventional 15W-40 and a very few high output gas engines that require full synthetic 5W-30 (Mobil 1). Another problem is the lack of necessary detergents in none "top tier" fuels (gasoline) which contributes to piston and ring carbon buildup which can lead to excessive oil consumption along with fuel injector issues. It is amazing the amount of HP they can squeeze out of these higher revving 4 banger engines today and still stay together as well as they do, be it GM or any other mfg.
This is just my .02 worth being a GM dealer tech, your mileage may very.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
No way I put up with a new car or truck that used a qt of oil in 2000 miles. I have own half a dozen pickup trucks in my short lifetime. Some I kept to 200,000 miles not one needed more than 1/2 a qt between 5,000 mile oil changes.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I'm old school in my engine thoughts, and also figured a small amount of oil consumption during break in could be normal, but a quart per fuel up would have me raising a ruckus until someone fixed it, or put me in a new engine! But I also would be smart enough to look and see if there was white smoke coming from a tailpipe. :unknown:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what I am reading, the manufactures call this normal. I assume even Porsche is calling it normal. according to Consumer Reports as I posted with the Yahoo link.

·
Registered
892 Posts
If they call it 'normal' and people start living with it , they have successfully started adopting 'Microsoft' standards. Next thing, they'll expect us to restart the engine in an intersection cause they'll just lockup for some unknown reason ...

Jim

·
Premium Member
14,724 Posts
If they call it 'normal' and people start living with it , they have successfully started adopting 'Microsoft' standards. Next thing, they'll expect us to restart the engine in an intersection cause they'll just lockup for some unknown reason ...

Jim
Yea , if we start accepting this is normal, it will be normal that the battery last 3-6 mo , brakes maybe till we apply brakes at second stop light.

Little brother was telling me his 11-12 Chevy truck, think v6 not sure, seemed to be freezing up during all the cold weather we had been having. Talking with one of his coworkers his truck had been doing the same thing.. There is a fix ,,GM so far is not required to contact owners of this model. Seems while driving down the road truck will loose power, all kind of lights will come on the dash,shuts down several safety features. Truck will go down to 5 maybe 10 mph at best , this will last one min or more before running fine again. Pulling off the edge of road ,turning off the engine ,leave it set for a min or so and it will run fine..
Like to see a very very large law suit for this , imagine ,out in the passing lane doing 70 + mph and engine quits reving and will not pull up the small incline, with a big rig on your A _ _ .
Yes there is a fix , GM is aware of problem , a motor for accelerator ,not correct name, is causing this problem. Takes about 30 min to repair.
BUT NO RECALL . Seems it usually happens to owners of these vehicles living in the colder climates.. This year that could be all of US.
Not saying Toyota is worse than GM or that they are better than GM . When it comes to a engine being able to run or slow down when you press or release gas pedal it is time for a RECALL no matter what country made the vehicle. Just my 2cents this is dangerous...

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts

Jim
Why not? As a society, we've been slowly adopting mediocrity for the past couple of decades. Now we are supposed to just accept whatever "they" tell us to take.

·
Super Moderator
5,539 Posts
My wife's vehicle is a 2007 Equinox. I couldn't for the life of me figure out where the hell a quart of oil was going around every 1,500 to 2,000 miles. It only has 55,000 miles on it.
Researching and dealer inquiries came up with pretty much what is being posted here. Weird to say the least. It runs fine. If it's burning it,I'm guessin' it's doing it efficiently:unknown:.

Now I see/read where my new 2014 Silverado (pics to come later:)) uses some crazy 0W-20 oil!! 8.5 quarts to boot! Never heard of it until now. We'll have to see how this all plays out. I really like the new Chevy's,but I was/am very skeptical of the totally new technology in the Ecotec family of engines. I guess someone has to be a lab rat. Seriously,GM for the most part has always had great engines,so I'm hoping these will be no different.

·
Administrator
17,973 Posts
Now I see/read where my new 2014 Silverado (pics to come later:)) uses some crazy 0W-20 oil!! 8.5 quarts to boot! Never heard of it until now.

My 2012 Toyota Corrola use 0W-20 as well, when I change to oil its like water running out...scary stuff. I've used Mobile1 in it since new.

·
Super Moderator
5,539 Posts
My 2012 Toyota Corrola use 0W-20 as well, when I change to oil its like water running out...scary stuff. I've used Mobile1 in it since new.
Kenny,all I've ever used was Mobil1. Not sure if it still holds true,but the GM oil has to have this Dexos stuff in it. Supposedly, the oil is only a "dealer item" as of right now. Not sure though as it could have changed by now. At least I get my first two oil changes for free!:)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kenny,all I've ever used was Mobil1. Not sure if it still holds true,but the GM oil has to have this Dexos stuff in it. Supposedly, the oil is only a "dealer item" as of right now. Not sure though as it could have changed by now. At least I get my first two oil changes for free!:)
For the most part, in my reading, the oil usarge is due to the 0W-20 most new vehicles are calling for. Can we say EPA?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts