Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a relocation kit for the 2320 engine oil filter?
I find it very difficult to remove as it's strategically surrounded by the motor mount brackets.
I use a cup-type wrench with two screws driven thru it so I can easily get it off, however this is messy.

Anyone done a relocation?

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
Can you post a photo showing the area around the filter?

I've never heard of a relocation kit for the 2320. Looking at photos on-line the access to the filter doesn't seem much worse than other tractors with a Yanmar 3TNV76. My 2720 makes a mess too when changing the filter. I use a cup-style filter wrench as well.

What I have done to eliminate 98% of the mess is I use one of those moldable Form-A-Funnels and place it against the engine directly below the filter. This catches most of the oil that drips out of the filter and directs it into a drain pan. In addition, I pack the area under the filter and between the frame rail and engine with a few shop rags to catch anything that sneaks past the Form-A-Funnel.

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts

I've never heard of a relocation kit for the 2320. Looking at photos on-line the access to the filter doesn't seem much worse than other tractors with a Yanmar 3TNV76. My 2720 makes a mess too when changing the filter. I use a cup-style filter wrench as well.

What I have done to eliminate 98% of the mess is I use one of those moldable Form-A-Funnels and place it against the engine directly below the filter. This catches most of the oil that drips out of the filter and directs it into a drain pan. In addition, I pack the area under the filter and between the frame rail and engine with a few shop rags to catch anything that sneaks past the Form-A-Funnel.

ill have to look into that funnel idea as the mess is something else.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

I do exactly the same on my 2032r, filter access isn’t particularly bad IMHO.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,234 Posts
I use this to remove the filter...

Oil filter wrench.jpg

·
Registered
318 Posts
There are plenty of generic oil filter relocation kits available, if you still want to try that route. I used to have a 2nd Gen Miata, the oil filter on it was under the intake manifold and behind the RH engine mount. Only way to access the filter was by jacking the car and removing the right front tire, and then you still had to reach half-blind around the upper A-arm mount. Most of us who did any performance modifications to our cars did a relocation kit. A tractor should be a piece of cake in comparison.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/oil-filter-relocation-kits/universal/yes

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
I use this to remove the filter...

You typically only need one of those if it's the factory-installed filter or if you have a habit of over-tightening them. Otherwise one of the little cap-type usually work fine.

One advantage of the cap-style is you can use it to tighten the filter without marring it. Sometimes when your hands are oily or space is limited it's hard to get a grip and give it that "half turn". So I slip the cap back on and use the handle of the ratchet as my rotation indicator. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are plenty of generic oil filter relocation kits available, if you still want to try that route. I used to have a 2nd Gen Miata, the oil filter on it was under the intake manifold and behind the RH engine mount. Only way to access the filter was by jacking the car and removing the right front tire, and then you still had to reach half-blind around the upper A-arm mount. Most of us who did any performance modifications to our cars did a relocation kit. A tractor should be a piece of cake in comparison.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/oil-filter-relocation-kits/universal/yes
Thanks for the pointer. I'll check it out.
I had one of these on my Trans-Am back in the '70's, got tired of worming around the headers trying to change the filter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would love to change it to a cartridge style with no mess.

I had one year where I couldn't get the cup type filter wrench off of the new filter so i just left it for the year. It never came off.

I actually thought of leaving it again but it came off easier as I put some lubrication it it.

Made a great metal protector for the oil filter...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts