Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I am new here and new to a recent aquired 1976 model JD300. The tractor is in decent shape, needs some cleaning up but all in all not to bad. It is currently leaking oil from the Govenor shaft where it goes into the block. It only leaks while the engine is running. Is there a seal or O-ring that can be replaced to stop this leak or is it an indication of a larger issue? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2,735 Posts
Here is the procedure for removing the governor and the parts list. I don't see no seal or o-ring.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Do you know if this is a procedure that can be accomplished without a complete engine tear down?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Are you sure the breather isn't clogged or not assembled correctly? It's likely you are building too much internal pressure and the governor is not the problem, just the easiest place to release pressure. Many times it's a clogged or non-functioning breather. It's a cheap and easy fix.

Another possibility is a valve that is out of adjustment. You can check that while you have the breather apart.

DO NOT overtighten the nut over the governor shaft. They break pretty easy. If the governor is functioning correctly, it's even less likely the problem. I'd start with the breather and checking the valves. You can get a tech manual for free from Kohler's web site.
Mike

Reactions: T-Mo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike

Thanks for the tip. I adjusted the valves this weekend, the leak was present before the adjustment and presisted after the adjustment as well. I didn't clean the filter element in the breather while I had it apart so I will do that and verify the assembly is installed properly. If that doesn't work I plan to remove the nut from the governor shaft to check for any out of round conditions. Any hints for this task?

Thanks in advance!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts