Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question concerning my 60D AC Mower. I have heard both ways, just want to see what ya'll think... should I put belt dressing on the mower belt (especially since it has been setting all winter outside... covered and on blocks) or not. Thoughts...

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,276 Posts
I never have. :dunno:

Reactions: bama21fs

·
Registered
225 Posts
No belt dressing ever! That's stuff is snake oil if there ever was. If you have an issue that you need belt dressing to fix, within a few weeks the belt will fail any way.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Belt dressing is a "limp along" thing to do so you can continue to use a worn out belt.
If you need belt dressing,, hop on Amazon and order the new belt,,, :flag_of_truce:

Reactions: bama21fs

·
Registered
740 Posts
Mower decks are one of the few places I don't use belt dressing. I like to give the blades an option to slow down or stop even if the belt is still turning in the event they hit something... sort of like a slip clutch. The belt ends up acting like a sort of shock-load absorber to keep un-necessary loads off of the engine, gearbox, and/or mandrel bearings. Belt dressing also causes the belt to become tacky which loads it up with all sorts of dust, dirt, and debris.

I'm not a scientist, but I'm going to guess that exposure to the sun's uv rays is probably what would cause a belt to deteriorate if left outside. Belt dressing isn't sunscreen. Assuming you can't park it in a barn or lean-to, the best thing you can do is to tarp your equipment or at the very least park it in a shady spot.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
Hi All
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought belt dressing was only for flat belts to help them grip and say on the pulleys, not for use on Vee belts for the above reasons.
Regards John
My thoughts also.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just ran out to the garage to check my can of belt dressing. All it said was to apply to the sides of the belt while the engine was idling and not to eat it, dispose of the can in a fire, or get it in your eyes. Nothing on what type of belt to use it on.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just ran out to the garage to check my can of belt dressing. All it said was to apply to the sides of the belt while the engine was idling and not to eat it, dispose of the can in a fire, or get it in your eyes. Nothing on what type of belt to use it on.
Ha ha:lol:

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Hi All
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought belt dressing was only for flat belts to help them grip and say on the pulleys, not for use on Vee belts for the above reasons.
Regards John
You are correct. No need for belt dressing on a V-Belt.

Reactions: DRobinson
1 - 11 of 11 Posts