Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 GX335 with a 20hp Kawaski engine. 1100hrs. Tractor runs great as it from day one. My oil pressure light starting coming on but the tractor runs fine. I changed the sending unit, oil, and filter. No light comes on until I mow about an hour or so. What is the oil pressure supposed to be on these engines? I have always maintained it well since new. Any thoughts or ideas will be welcomed. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have a 2002 GX335 with a 20hp Kawaski engine. 1100hrs. Tractor runs great as it from day one. My oil pressure light starting coming on but the tractor runs fine. I changed the sending unit, oil, and filter. No light comes on until I mow about an hour or so. What is the oil pressure supposed to be on these engines? I have always maintained it well since new. Any thoughts or ideas will be welcomed. Thanks!
I don't know what the oil pressure specification is but I'm sure it has one. On automotive engines the general rule is 10 pounds per 1,000 rpm.

The other question is when the light comes on? Normally when the internal parts heat up they expand. This usually causes excess gaps between the parts allowing pressure to bleed out. Low pressure usually shows up first at idle speeds vs full throttle. This is when the oil pump is turning the slowest.

Best thing to do is remove the sending unit. Then install a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Bring the engine up to temperature and record the readings. Then figure out if it is in specifications. Continuing to operate an engine with oil pressure problems will only cause more internal damage.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
From my Shop/Repair manual:

Kawasaki FH601V

Hi Idle = 3400 RPM +/- 50 RPM

Oil Pressure @ High Idle = 35/45 PSI

Same engine as my 2004 GX335 w/940hrs. Great tractor with a great engine. Are you running multi-grade oil or straight grade 30 wt.?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil Pressure sending unit

Thanks guys for the come back and info. I get a pressure gauge from Amazon Thursday so I will check the pressure then and see what I have. I use John Deere 10W30 oil and filters and change both often, more than what's called for by mother Deere. It has been a great tractor 48C mower deck and 42 snow thrower. Thanks again for the help. I will report back the findings when I get my tester.
Ray

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Good luck and keep us posted on the results . :cheers: :munch:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Check that oil pressure with a gauge as stated. Don't get nervous. I just went thru 2 bad oil pressure switches, new outta the box. 3rd one was good. Bad part was I just got done doing a total reseal of the engine! But oil pressure was fine. Had to warranty 2 oil pressure switches. Makes us look bad.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi!
I am back with some not so good results, according to this gauge I got I have about half the oil pressure I need less than 30psi. I guess I will repair it as opposed to buying a new one as I use it to blow snow and my blower won't work on the new ones. I'll check around and explore my options. I thought I would get back with the results. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Really should have put this post at the end of your original thread, threw me off finding it again... :laugh:

You are running (35psi) which is factory spec minimum for that engine. If it were me and I needed to squeeze out some hours before repair... I'd switch to straight 30wt oil and see if there was some increase in pressure when hot. Worth a can or 2 of oil, maybe?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked the pressure at idle and wide open throttle. I guess I'm losing my pump. I will talk to Deere tomorrow and check my options out.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
John Deere dealer replaced oil pump which showed some scoring. Mowed with it today so far so good! Thanks everyone.
It's a darn good thing that you took quick action on your tractor's problem. Sounds like doing so saved you replacing the entire engine or possibly the whole tractor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts