Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used John Deere oilscan program? Cost?

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
I've done the Blackstone deal with my truck oil a few times. Very nice indeed!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I've done the Blackstone deal with my truck oil a few times. Very nice indeed!
Agreed!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Very happy with Blackstone labs.
Without knowing it they documented the demise of a Vortec 5.3 over the course of 18K miles of 4 oil changes. They noted high levels of aluminum and iron as the lifters began to fail in their galleys. the motor was removed and replaced and since then it has held up well.
I contacted them about the engines demise and sent the first oil sample from the new engine and they were nice enough to do a history across the oil changes of the truck to see patterns they could use to mark wear.

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
Very happy with Blackstone labs.
Without knowing it they documented the demise of a Vortec 5.3 over the course of 18K miles of 4 oil changes. They noted high levels of aluminum and iron as the lifters began to fail in their galleys. the motor was removed and replaced and since then it has held up well.
I contacted them about the engines demise and sent the first oil sample from the new engine and they were nice enough to do a history across the oil changes of the truck to see patterns they could use to mark wear.
It looks like they charge $28 for an oil analysis and the sample kit is free. That's not bad for checking the health of your oil. I see they charge an extra $10 for a TBN test which is a test to see if you can extend your oil change interval.

You can also have them do an analysis of your hydraulic oil.

·
Registered
23,570 Posts
I really like the idea of getting the oil scanned, but....for my small engines - including my tractor and vehicles - the cost of changing the oil is about the same price as an oil analysis.

I talked to a shop foreman at a Volvo truck dealership about this once - asked him if he did analysis on the big truck engines and if so, when. He said he doesn’t do it at all. The report can come back with some deficiencies and then he said they will spend a lot more money and time chasing something that can’t be fixed anyway.

I can see the point of doing an oil analysis on a $20k+ engine that is in a production environment. But for these little tractors it just isn’t worth it - just change the oil and filter and motor on.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I use JD's Fluid Analysis program. The kit costs $15 plus $3 or $4 to mail it in.
Personally I find it of great value especially if the equipment had a previous owner.
I like to do enough testing on new "to me" equipment to form a solid baseline and then just check periodically .
The hydro oil gets tested every oil change.
It's my early warning system of equipment health and my maintenance practices.

Reactions: Tubemill

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
I use JD's Fluid Analysis program. The kit costs $15 plus $3 or $4 to mail it in.
Personally I find it of great value especially if the equipment had a previous owner.
I like to do enough testing on new "to me" equipment to form a solid baseline and then just check periodically .
To take advantage of the 1200hr / 3-year hydraulic oil change interval on the Gen-2 2-series tractors the manual states you must perform an oil-scan of transmission oil every 400 hours or once per year.

·
Registered
23,570 Posts
Could you post a link to this test for $15? That’s almost 1/2 the cost of Blackstone.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I pick them up at my dealer. He always has them on stock. You can use them for any fluids you use in any equipment. You'll get the results in a few days via email and week or so by USPS.
Parts invoice.png

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Is that just the kit or is it the kit AND the analysis?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
438 Posts
That's the total for everything, the kit & the analysis & report.

·
Registered
23,570 Posts
I pick them up at my dealer. He always has them on stock. You can use them for any fluids you use in any equipment. You'll get the results in a few days via email and week or so by USPS.
View attachment 662820
Since there are no dealers anywhere around me could you post the part number to see if I could get one from GTT?

Also - when you take your sample, where do you send it? Or do you have to bring it back to the dealer? If so there is no point in it for me.

·
Registered
438 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
Since there are no dealers anywhere around me could you post the part number to see if I could get one from GTT?

Also - when you take your sample, where do you send it? Or do you have to bring it back to the dealer? If so there is no point in it for me.

Part Number:
AT346594
Part Price:15.00 USD Each
On Hand:
0 (Supplier Direct - Contact your dealer for availability) Check Other Stores
Description:Fluid Kit - KIT, UNIVERSAL FLUID ANALYSIS

Part Number:
TY27329
Part Price:36.67 USD Each
On Hand:
0 (Supplier Direct - Contact your dealer for availability) Check Other Stores
Description:Test/Measure Supply Item - DIESEL FUEL PACKAGE/FUEL CLEANLINES

Attached is a copy of the JD flyer.

I couldn't find the sample kit on GFP.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,570 Posts
Thanks Dave! Looks like it is a dealer only thing as I get nothing with a search on GFP. I can understand this - they want the customer coming in to the dealership and also this helps the relationship between them and you the customer.

They obviously aren't trying to make much of a profit with this - more of a customer service / customer happy type thing.

So anyway to reiterate my previous thoughts - for $30 I will change the oil (synthetic) and filter on all my engines for the same cost of an oil analysis that is available to me from Blackstone.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts