Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the road just about every day.

I drive an F350 CC Dually w/ a 7.3 PSD & a manual ZF five speed tranny - usually I am towing 10,000 pounds.

I have tried oil additives over the years along with several brands and oil weight combinations.

Recently I ran across independent oil testing data performed & published by an individual:

@ https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Although lengthy & arduous it was fascinating to read.

The oil additive that consistently seemed to have proven measured results was Oil Extreme:

@ OIL EXTREME CONCENTRATE: MOTOR OIL: BETTER THAN SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL

I called & talked with the owner Dan - then ordered a 16 ounce bottle.

For my truck I chose this oil from the test data link above:

113. 5W40 MOBIL 1 TURBO DIESEL TRUCK synthetic, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4 and ACEA E7 = 74,312 psi
zinc = 1211 ppm
phos = 1168 ppm
moly = 2 ppm

I have been running Mobil 1 synthetic oil filters since they came out a couple years ago.

My engine takes 15 quarts so I added the recommended 15 ounces.

Then I drove a few hundred miles ....

I noticed an immediate gain in horsepower - fuel economy - performance.

I will be adding Oil Extreme to my ZF manual transmission & my 4:10 rear differential.

Jim

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Report back when you have your oil out of your truck tested. Will be curious what an independent lab has to say about your oil with the additive in it.

I run Schaeffer's 7000 15w40 in my 7.3 as the HPOPs in these HEUI fuel injection systems love to shear oil down to near nothing.

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
Good to hear from you Jim. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never had my oil tested

Report back when you have your oil out of your truck tested. Will be curious what an independent lab has to say about your oil with the additive in it.

I run Schaeffer's 7000 15w40 in my 7.3 as the HPOPs in these HEUI fuel injection systems love to shear oil down to near nothing.

Sorry but I have never had my oil tested - never will .

Jim

·
Registered
2,930 Posts

One comment, one question... I have been using Schaeffer's about 7 years and really think it's good quality oi, and are you also a member of Powerstroke Nation?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I also use Mobile 1 TDT 5W40 in my 2005 Dodge SRT10 Ram. It was highly recommended by one of the top Viper engine builders.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure

One comment, one question... I have been using Schaeffer's about 7 years and really think it's good quality oi, and are you also a member of Powerstroke Nation?
Not sure ...

I don't like the interweb much but I have to do business there so it is a necessary evil.

This stuff works for me & I believe anything that uses motor oil or any other type of oil can benefit from it.

I would call & talk with Dan the owner about your specific intended application.

This stuff has been around for awhile ...

Additional technical information is here - interesting how it includes K & N test data at the bottom:

@ OILEXTREME OIL TECHNOLOGY INTRODUCTION: BEST MOTOR OIL: BETTER THAN SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL

Jim

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I am on PSN. Haven't been on in a while but a member none the less

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I am on PSN. Haven't been on in a while but a member none the less
I thought so, you used the same handle I thought. That place went cold fast after Mike sold it.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Not to offend - but isn't that what happened to this forumj & WFM ?

Were they not bought by the same entity ?

Jim
I don't know, I am new here. I do know the folks are far more helpful, respectful and polite on this forum compared to others I have been on.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Did you make it to Power Stroke Army?
I lurked there for a little bit but found the attitude very unpleasant. I did miss the presence of some of the nicer folks at PSN and eventually stopped looking at much there.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sorry but I have never had my oil tested - never will .

Jim
Hmmmmm, That speaks VOLUMES! I've been sampling the oil from my '96 PSD since it had 100,000 miles and it has over 300,000 miles now. WAY too many places for coolant & fuel to contaminate engine oil on those engines. And you would never know it till it was too late.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No need

Hmmmmm, That speaks VOLUMES! I've been sampling the oil from my '96 PSD since it had 100,000 miles and it has over 300,000 miles now. WAY too many places for coolant & fuel to contaminate engine oil on those engines. And you would never know it till it was too late.
I have owned (5) F350 CC Dually trucks ...

Coolant & fuel does not contaminate the oil unless they are not maintained and/or abused.

Changing your oil as recommended & using a quality oil filter is adequate.

Dirty oil kills a PSD - usually by someone not changing it as required.

Jim

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have owned (5) F350 CC Dually trucks ...

Coolant & fuel does not contaminate the oil unless they are not maintained and/or abused.

Changing your oil as recommended & using a quality oil filter is adequate.

Dirty oil kills a PSD - usually by someone not changing it as required.

Jim
I don't care how many PSD's you've had, you really don't know much about them! Injector o-rings can leak fuel into engine oil, also coolant by way of the copper injector sleeves. Oil cooler o-rings can leak oil into coolant and coolant into oil. Both have NOTHING to do with maintenance.

I've done over 100 oil/filter changes in my PSD, one every 3000 miles which is plenty often enough, and now that it's semi-retired it gets used oil analized every oil change instead of every 9000-10,000 miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts