Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, hope everyone's weekends are awesome so far, and best wishes for a happy upcoming Memorial Day. While enjoying time with family and friends, let's not forget those who served in our military and those who are serving currently today.

So I was poking around my tractor as I do with all my equipment just to see what there is to see (checking up on stuff, basically) and noticed this oily film on the hydraulic pump. The output line is tight on the fitting and there's not a drop of visible hydraulic fluid leakage to be seen. Okay that's.... interesting.... but is it the norm for these machines? I figured I'd check with other mechanically-minded owners to see.

Tractor (2020 1025R) currently has 17.x hours on it and the last few hours of that have been loader work so the hydraulics have been getting a decent workout. No other problems currently noted and none are expected. Fluid level is normal when checked cold as per Deere instruction.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Does it feel like oil?
In my shop i get condensation on metal surfaces. Its always humid where i live.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's oil for sure. It's humid here too and the tractor is stored outside under a roof to keep the sun and rain off when not in use.

This is not present anywhere else but there. Everything else just has a light layer of dust. I've owned enough oil leaking worn out rolling piles of scrap metal to know what oil mist looks like WITHOUT even having to touch it :ROFLMAO:

So, it's kinda saddening to see it on my brand new tractor that is NOT a rolling pile of scrap metal! Lol.

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
call ur dealer and show him ur pics. should be no oil leaking there at all. but somehow some did leak-so there seems to be a problem. its under warranty so use it. good luck

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
I'd check that the dipstick is fully inserted and tight, and that the reservoir cap is snug. Then I'd gently clean it off with Dawn dish soap, rinse & dry. Then keep an eye on it for the next few days. Good chance you'd be able to find the source.

·
Registered
2020 1025R
992 Posts
I'd check that the dipstick is fully inserted and tight, and that the reservoir cap is snug. Then I'd gently clean it off with Dawn dish soap, rinse & dry. Then keep an eye on it for the next few days. Good chance you'd be able to find the source.
Absolutely this. To me, it looks like a small amount of oil was spilled there from above. Dish soap, Simple Green, a few shots of brake clean, etc. ought to get it nice and clean and then you can look for any fresh signs of oil weeping.

Best,

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Absolutely this. To me, it looks like a small amount of oil was spilled there from above. Dish soap, Simple Green, a few shots of brake clean, etc. ought to get it nice and clean and then you can look for any fresh signs of oil weeping.

Best,
Spilled oil... that's a possibility I didn't consider. I've never added any but perhaps it was topped off at some point before.

I've already cleaned up the area so I can spot any leaks but so far haven't used the tractor enough for it to show. Guess that's a great reason to go get more seat time!

I'll absolutely use my warranty if needed, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a common condition due to a nearby breather vent or something I didn't know about. (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.