Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To lazy to search the forum. Besides my search foo is weak.

Question: On a 1023e can you remove and clean the sump screen without draining the hydro oil?

Don't know why I don't know this. Maybe cause I have only had to change the oil once. Dealer did it under PIP repair the other time.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
3,494 Posts
Question: On a 1023e can you remove and clean the sump screen without draining the hydro oil?
No. 3-1/2 gallons of hydro oil sit on top of it. It's at the bottom of the trans case.

·
Premium Member
12,125 Posts
If you turn the tractor upside down, to put the sump at the top side of the hydro case, then you could pull the screen and likely not lose too much Hydro Fluid. But turning the tractor upside down is really not a good idea for a lot of reasons, so we don't advocate such an action.

Plus, the tractor sits on the rubber tires much better than it balances on the ROPS and the hood or FEL, etc.

Make sure your drain pan is LARGE to collect all of the fluid as the hydro case holds far more than your average drain pan. Usually, members realize this as the fluid over flows the standard 8 quart drain pan and you still have nearly 1.5 gallons of oil yet to drain.

Since your search feature is..........lazy...........here is a drain pan which actually will hold all of the hydro fluid AND it slides under the rear end hydro case AND it permits you to remove the filter and the drain plug. It's a big drain pan and its best to have a second pair of hands to help you empty it as it weighs about what 4 gallons of hydo oil weigh. This drain pan holds 30 quarts, so when the tractor drains all hydro oil, the pan isn't sloshing over with fluid.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
I don’t think he’s talking about saving the fluid. I am in the same thoughts here as in they coulda came up with a better way to clean the screen WITHOUT removing and replacing the whole case full of fluid. On all the excavation equipment I’ve changed screens and filters, I’ve never seen a “Gotta drain all the fluid out to clean the screen” scenario until I bought my tractor.

For instance on a Cat excavator, the “screen” is basically a larger cup shaped filter that is emmersed in fluid in its own chamber and you slowly pull it up and out to replace it with minimal fluid loss. The pump moves fluid through hoses connected to this chamber.
Perhaps being a hydrostatic system on the tractors we use this is not possible and the fluid needs replacing more often, but it’s not uncommon for hydraulic fluid to last thousands of hours.

There could be a port on top of the reservoir with a dipstick style screen arm that gets pulled up and out vertically to clean it.

Just seems like a waste of perfectly good fluid and the time to deal with it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts