8,558 Posts
Making some sort of carrier that will slide into a hitch receiver? :unknown:

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yup! I concur, defiantly a twisted mind.

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
Oh, there would be pots involved if this was about 40 years older. :mocking:

ROPS is correct. Objects being hung, not so much. :lol:
Bracket for forward and rearward facing lights?

·
Premium Member
14,109 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bracket for forward and rearward facing lights?
We have a winner! :usa

The little one in the middle in back is 18W to improve the anemic utility light Deere uses. The rest are 27W.

I have the sides aimed out about 12 degrees. This was test-fit on Monday when I was up working on the saw scabbards, but discovered v1 with the rear lights hanging below the angle in between the two forward lights; there was a possibility to whack my melon into the lights if I was backing up on rough ground. So I brought it home and added the extension legs on the sides to bring them up and outward. I also added the antenna mount and changed the utility light from hanging below the main cross beam to up on top of it since I wanted to extend the antenna mast out the back anyway.

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts
Something made of scrap steel? :laugh: Perhaps a toolbox bracket?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Something made of scrap steel? :laugh: Perhaps a toolbox bracket?
You're more right than you think. But only the antenna mount was scrap. That was the wheelie bar mount on a mobility scooter. It just happened to be a nice U shape, the right length, and full of holes that fit the mounting bolt for the antenna base. Happy accident! :laugh:

The rest of it was prime steel out of my inventory. All perforations were placed by me in the angle iron. The big holes are for light mount bolts. The small holes are for zip ties. There's going to be spaghetti wiring running across this thing, so I made sure there was plenty of spots to lash it down to.

·
Premium Member
7,912 Posts
Looks like you had a BRIGHT idea there Jim.

Ok, may the key thread silliness has gotten out of control. :banghead:

Looks Good. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm looking at heading up later this week when my speakers show up and I get them mounted in the ammo cans. I have all the wiring run for the lights aside from actually stringing it through the roll bar and drilling the holes. So it's almost plug-n-play at this point. Wire in to the switched circuits and she's good to go.

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
I'm looking at heading up later this week when my speakers show up and I get them mounted in the ammo cans. I have all the wiring run for the lights aside from actually stringing it through the roll bar and drilling the holes. So it's almost plug-n-play at this point. Wire in to the switched circuits and she's good to go.
I have a question Jim; how do you find anything!! :hide:

·
Administrator
17,272 Posts
There's going to be spaghetti wiring running across this thing, so I made sure there was plenty of spots to lash it down to.
So that begs this question...why not use two of the LED light bars that have become so popular? I went through the same "spaghetti" problem years ago when I did my 50w halogen lights, and I would love to do it over over day with these bars. One of my MAJOR pet peeves is the stupid 6"-12" pigtails they provide on these single lights that almost for you to add more splices.

Not trying to belittle your project, just curious if you had considered going that route, and if so why did you choose the single lights?

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,200 Posts
Light bar! There is just one question that comes to mind. Do you have enough lights? Maybe add some more?! Mars is a long ways away and you might want to light up your landing site. :laugh: Need to see the finished and hooked up product. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a question Jim; how do you find anything!! :hide:
I'm undiagnosed ADD, so the clutter actually helps keep my brain occupied? :unknown: :mocking: I don't know... I know where in the mess everything is, so the mess doesn't bother me at all. I don't have enough room to be organized.

The light bars were a lot more expensive 6 months ago when I bought these lights. They also don't allow the aiming to the sides these round ones do, and their flood options aren't nearly as broad of beam throw. I've had one of these lights for a few years and found it to be very durable and casts a nice even/soft light for utility use without being brutal when looking at it. The pigtails are also quite long on them. I'll be shortening them up and soldering them into a trio of leads to be plugged into the wiring on the tractor.

For the time being, my thoughts on aiming are that the middle front ones will augment my pathetic headlights, and the side fronts will be limb lights (up and outward). I have 18W side lights on the fenders in front of the rear wheels that do well lighting the turning areas on the ground, but those also have a narrow spread.

There is method to my madness. :)

I have 35W HID's on my ATV and you can't see a darn thing if you're looking towards it at night but you can see everything in front of the machine plain as day. It's too bright for utility use.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts