Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2015 5045e
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about 14 hours under my belt, mostly pushing things around and making a mess. Well it's about time I started getting useful!

My property is 6 acres, front two are nice with a homestead and the back 4 were unkempt and wooded until recently. I had all the cedar mulched up and left on the ground, and now comes the time where I start doing things with it. So I want to make a walking trail around the parameter. Here's my first attempt, have one of the long sides pretty much done.

Anybody feels I should have done things differently, I'm all ears. I've got no idea what I'm doing, I just know I'm out there trying to have a good time. I'm wondering what I should do on the edges maybe, if I should bring in some top soil to build the trail higher than the sides, heck I don't know. All I know is that the project has started... and let's see where it goes!

Enjoy.

Registered
I've got about 14 hours under my belt, mostly pushing things around and making a mess. Well it's about time I started getting useful!

My property is 6 acres, front two are nice with a homestead and the back 4 were unkempt and wooded until recently. I had all the cedar mulched up and left on the ground, and now comes the time where I start doing things with it. So I want to make a walking trail around the parameter. Here's my first attempt, have one of the long sides pretty much done.

Anybody feels I should have done things differently, I'm all ears. I've got no idea what I'm doing, I just know I'm out there trying to have a good time. I'm wondering what I should do on the edges maybe, if I should bring in some top soil to build the trail higher than the sides, heck I don't know. All I know is that the project has started... and let's see where it goes!

Enjoy.

Looks like you are "on the right path" literally. You could scoop up the mulch and put it on top of the walking trail but if there are rocks underneath that could be an ankle twister.

I'm surprised you could bend the teeth on the box blade. Mine will stop the tractor before bending but I tend to go pretty slow with the scarifiers down.

Keep working- you are doing well.

Treefarmer

Registered
2015 5045e
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know I was thinking about putting mulch between the trail and my neighbors fence. It's too course to walk on. I got myself a big ol' zero turn yesterday (the Deere x540 is pissing me off) and I want to take it back there to see how I can manicure things before I commit to the mulch idea.

I think I'm starting to bend the actual box blade too, I've got one tooth that's in pretty bad shape and another that's getting there. It's a pretty heavy duty unit weighing 600lbs. I was thinking about getting a heavier duty one but figured I've only got 48hp so no way I could damage that... right? Dang ol' rocks aren't no joke around here! LOL

Reactions: rtgt

Premium Member
Looks like you have a great start. Seems to me that if you want a more level path, you will need fill or some sort of mulch on top. Otherwise the removal of the rock is the only other route which sounds like a huge project. In MI you can often get tree service companies to dump their loads of woods chips at your place. The one problem with wood chips is they have to be replaced. If you want the one and done route, maybe fill dirt of some sort put down. You could also use a landscape rake and move the smaller rocks to the side leaving the dirt. No matter what it looks great and sounds like you are having fun. (y)(y)

Registered
I think it looks good. So different than I am used to with your dead flat land.

Around here I couldn鈥檛 leave it bare dirt - it would be mud most of the time which I despise. So according to budget, if I could, I would cover it with a layer of gravel.

TreeFarmers idea of spreading the shredded mulch is also a good idea being you already have it.

Reactions: wentonbrown

Premium Member
Looks like you have a good start.

It will take a while with all that rock. It sounds like you need a heavy duty box blade.

Premium Member
Looks good. Might need a landscape rake.

Registered
2015 5045e
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank y'all, kept going with the rest of the path and have a first couple passes on that part. The loop is about 1/4 mile now. Can't say it looks great yet, but that was my original vision to start out with and it's in there. Next up I think I'm going to quarter up the middle of it all and start workign on a piece at a time. I've got no idea what my plans are quite yet... but they'll start to form as I continue to beat up my poor box blade. 馃槀

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.