Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to use an electric pole saw to cut some limbs down this weekend.

Any issues hooking a power inverter up to my 1025R?

Thanks -

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Have had an electric chainsaw-on-a-stick for eons. But with the advent of powerful battery chainsaws, personally I wouldn't bother with an inverter.

·
Administrator
18,287 Posts
Inverters can drawn you battery VERY fast, especially one large enough to power a pole saw. How many watts is it?

Reactions: arlen and Ray_PA

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I think you should be ok if you keep the engine running at half throttle or more. I've actually done this before without any issues.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Inverters can drawn you battery VERY fast, especially one large enough to power a pole saw. How many watts is it?
That’s the key...even a measly 120 watts on the 120v side will be over a 10 amp draw on the 12 volt side.
It would be safe to say that you couldn’t use your accessories plug, and you would need to run nice heavy cables directly to your battery. Something like you would run for a winch. Then keep your engine running. What is the alternator rated for in your tractor?

·
Registered
715 Posts
That’s the key...even a measly 120 watts on the 120v side will be over a 10 amp draw on the 12 volt side.
It would be safe to say that you couldn’t use your accessories plug, and you would need to run nice heavy cables directly to your battery. Something like you would run for a winch. Then keep your engine running. What is the alternator rated for in your tractor?
Typical cheapo corded pole saws seem to draw 8 amps. 8A * 120V = 960 watts. A 100% efficient 12V inverter (hint: they don't exist) will draw 960 watts / 12V = 80 A. That's a lotta current.

Al

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Typical cheapo corded pole saws seem to draw 8 amps. 8A * 120V = 960 watts. A 100% efficient 12V inverter (hint: they don't exist) will draw 960 watts / 12V = 80 A. That's a lotta current.

Al
Likely exceeds the alternator capacity. I suppose it’s still doable depending on the duty cycle.
If it absolutely had to be a corded saw, a PTO generator would would be the way to go.
A gas saw is sounding pretty good—or A li Ion cordless

·
Registered
2,072 Posts

Al
I'd echo Al's conclusion. We run 1000 watt inverters in our service trucks. We have two auxiliary batteries in parallel, 140 amp alternators, and the inverters are fed with #2 wire. The 1025R has a 40 amp alternator. Your starting battery won't last long with that kind of load upon it. Is your inverter a 1000 watt? They're kind of pricey.

·
Premium Member
12,704 Posts
Likely exceeds the alternator capacity. I suppose it’s still doable depending on the duty cycle.
If it absolutely had to be a corded saw, a PTO generator would would be the way to go.
A gas saw is sounding pretty good—or A li Ion cordless
You can get a small 1000-2000 watt portable generator for way less money than a PTO generator and way less hassle. It will have lots of other uses too. I have a small 3000 watt generator that I throw in the back of my 17P lawn cart when I need to use a 120VAC tool remotely. It has really saved my butt. Especially when I needed to drive in some ground rods with the 25lb DeWalt demo hammer. There ain't any of those that run on a battery. :) I've even used my Shop-Vac to clean debris out of the grass and I've run my electric pressure washer remotely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts