Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1963 john deere 2010 row crop tractor. Good or bad is anyone's opinion. It has a trip bucket loader that supposedly came on it from the factory. I am the 2nd owner...........The model number on the i.d. plate reads E048U. My question is what model is the loader referred to as.........I am wanting one with a hydraulic bucket.......
Please help a novice tractor man..........(y)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it would be a Model 48. The 48 was available with a hydraulic bucket. Looking at the Parts Book it does not show it fitting a 2010. Can you post a picture of the loader?
Just as soon as my new phone arrives I will post a picture..........You are right in your thinking about the 48. Although what the difference to me appears to be is the frame of the 48 loader goes around the front of the tractor and the one I have is side mount brackets. The arms are identical and the bucket looks the same. I would love to make it a hydraulic bucket if I could find one lying idle somewhere.

·
Registered
12,108 Posts
Is the tractor green or industrial yellow? If it is green it did not come from the factory with a loader on it. I believe that the original loader for a 2010 ag tractor is a 35. The 48 loader was a later model for the Waterloo tractors, but I don't believe they were used on Dubuque tractors, even the later models such as the 1020 and 2020.

You can check the 48 loader parts catalog, but I don't believe that the 48 was available with a manual dump bucket.

It's been a long time, I could be wrong.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the tractor green or industrial yellow? If it is green it did not come from the factory with a loader on it. I believe that the original loader for a 2010 ag tractor is a 35. The 48 loader was a later model for the Waterloo tractors, but I don't believe they were used on Dubuque tractors, even the later models such as the 1020 and 2020.

You can check the 48 loader parts catalog, but I don't believe that the 48 was available with a manual dump bucket.

It's been a long time, I could be wrong.
GREEN..........I was suspicious when the fellow told me that it all came that way from the factory. I guess I wanted to believe him. After viewing pics on line it does look like a model 35.........And sir I do not think that you are wrong.......Thank you......Maybe I can find an old junker with good loader parts for sale...........Another question if I may? When its cold out it floods easy when starting it. Should I only choke it after I crank the motor over a few turns?

·
Registered
12,108 Posts
First off, I am not a carburetor guy. I would probably experiment starting with using no choke and increase the amount in very small increments until you hit the right spot. It is certainly possible with the age of the tractor that the carburetor is in need of an overhaul. If I'm not mistaken, there were a couple different carburetors used. You might want to look at it and see if you can find a name. My guess would be either Marvel-Schebler or Zenith.

If Tx Jim or JD110 see your post, they can be of much more help than I can.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off, I am not a carburetor guy. I would probably experiment starting with using no choke and increase the amount in very small increments until you hit the right spot. It is certainly possible with the age of the tractor that the carburetor is in need of an overhaul. If I'm not mistaken, there were a couple different carburetors used. You might want to look at it and see if you can find a name. My guess would be either Marvel-Schebler or Zenith.

If Tx Jim or JD110 see your post, they can be of much more help than I can.
The carb was supposedly rebuilt 10 years ago........Put in new plugs a month ago........Tractor only gets started once per month now that I now longer handle round bales of hay...........It has been suggested that this new gas is getting stale. Thought about a shot of starting fluid and then trying it......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it would be a Model 48. The 48 was available with a hydraulic bucket. Looking at the Parts Book it does not show it fitting a 2010. Can you post a picture of the loader?
look forward to talking to you again..........you are very helpful.........thank you

·
Registered
459 Posts
The carb was supposedly rebuilt 10 years ago........Put in new plugs a month ago........Tractor only gets started once per month now that I now longer handle round bales of hay...........It has been suggested that this new gas is getting stale. Thought about a shot of starting fluid and then trying it......
NO starting fluid! Are you using ethanol-free gasoline and fuel stabilizer? I would suggest ethanol-free gasoline and add Marine 360 Stabil. Today's gasoline goes "stale" quickly if untreated. And ethanol gas will gum up a carburetor. I would recommend rebuilding the carburetor.

Not sure where you are located but try contacting a salvage yard for hydraulic parts. Do you have dual SCVs? If not you will need to plumb an external 2 spool valve to operate the loader with hydraulic bucket.

DR is correct...the 35 would have been the loader for the 2010. There was also a 45 loader but for the Waterloo tractors. Perhaps the previous owner modified the 48 mounts and bastardized the bucket trip mechanism.

·
Registered
12,108 Posts
I agree on the NO ETHER, especially on a 2010.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I agree to use ethanol free gas if it is available in your area. Your infrequent use is not good at all with ethanol blended fuels. Another cause of seemingly easy flooding could be weak spark. You mentioned new spark plugs, but have you replaced ignition points or wires recently? Possibly the coil is weak also. WHat brand of spark plugs did you use. I am not a fan of Champion plugs in these old gas tractors. Autolite is my preferred brand. #216 or 4316 will work. Lastly, carburetor may need attention as well. At the least, I would change the float valve and check float level adjustment.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I agree with jd110 on not utilizing gasoline with ethanol or Champion plugs. I also agree that JD agriculture tractors can from factory less frt end loaders. I have no idea how many frt end loaders I either installed or supervised being installed while I was employed at a JD dealership.

·
Registered
23,097 Posts
I had a 2010 gas many years ago. One thing I noticed was the updraft carburetor was finicky.

My equipment shed at the time was built into a bank and the floor was not level. If I parked it nose down I had a heck of a time starting it. Nose up and it was fine.

I think it flooded itself just from gravity when sitting nose down. It did not have a fuel shutoff which would have probably fixed that issue.

And I agree 100% to find and use ethanol free gas and use a stabilizer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gentlemen I can not begin to express my thanks for the wonderful help my new GREEN loving tractors friends are giving me......I was beginning to think that this Indiana man owned a summer tractor only....
I will immediately replace those champion spark plugs. I can purchase ethanol free gas at the local airport so I will drain the tank and start over. I will definitely add 260 marine stabil to it......installing new wires and points is something I believe I can do as well........Will a bottle of carb cleaner hurt if i dump one of those in the tank also? I might know a carb mechanic a few miles from here..........

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gentlemen I can not begin to express my thanks for the wonderful help my new GREEN loving tractors friends are giving me......I was beginning to think that this Indiana man owned a summer tractor only....
I will immediately replace those champion spark plugs. I can purchase ethanol free gas at the local airport so I will drain the tank and start over. I will definitely add 260 marine stabil to it......installing new wires and points is something I believe I can do as well........Will a bottle of carb cleaner hurt if i dump one of those in the tank also? I might know a carb mechanic a few miles from here..........
I have a 1963 john deere 2010 row crop tractor. Good or bad is anyone's opinion. It has a trip bucket loader that supposedly came on it from the factory. I am the 2nd owner...........The model number on the i.d. plate reads E048U. My question is what model is the loader referred to as.........I am wanting one with a hydraulic bucket.......
Please help a novice tractor man..........(y)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This will be my last attempt if I fail to post my reply in the right place. I apologize for my inexperience with forums. I did however replace plugs today with autolite 216's and replaced distributor cap and wires......It seemed to start so much easier but required lots of choke...I am gonna run some good ole carb cleaner thru it as well.. Again I hope this is where
it is supposed to go......Looking forward to the Portland Engine show this year....I live ten minutes from it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was looking around briefly on the net looking for a salvageable cylinder off of a old #35 loader.....I guess I really don't know any salvage yards either...With my luck I couldn't find a snow flake in a blizzard......Happy hunting

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The old 2010 is up and awake now and doing well!..........Bought myself a 1952 john deere model A today.......I want to replace the champion plugs with autolite if I find out which ones to get......Where would I get a step for the rear axle?..
My uncle took an old 3pt. hitch off the back of his old 70 diesel......Would it fit an A ?

·
Registered
12,108 Posts
The AC part number for spark plugs for your A is C88L. That is, that was the number 35 or 40 years ago. It should still cross over to an AutoLite number. I'm not sure about the 3-point hitch, but somehow I don't think it will work without modification. There are some guys on here that will have better information.

I think most any of the two cylinder tractor steps with the two bolt mounting bracket will work. It is an L shaped bracket with a step plate bolted on. I believe the mounting studs are either 1/2 or 5/8.

Glad that the 2010 is running strong.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts