Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my 4720 this past spring, the iMatch was back ordered. So the dealer gave me a used old style one until the new one came in. I kind of forgot about it till last week. The dealer brought it out the other day, and I just put it on today. I thought I would snap a few pictures of them side by side.
I'm pretty hard pressed to find any benefits to the new style. You can see that the top hook of the new one has AT LEAST 1/2 inch less reach.
The top hook assembly IS quite a bit "beefier" on the new style however. And there is some additional welding on the lower hooks. You can see that the bottom pins were redesigned with a more standard component.
I'm kind of torn now. I'm tempted to keep the old one.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,349 Posts
My vote: Keep the old one.

The 1/2" less reach is causing some problems for others, even with Frontier branded implements.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My vote: Keep the old one.

The 1/2" less reach is causing some problems for others, even with Frontier branded implements.
I've been following those threads...It's beyond annoying. The dealer didn't want the old one back, so I can go back to it if I want. I might be inclined to move the hook forward and weld it in place though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Imatch hitch

I just bought one of the old style hitches. I did a search and found a dealer that still had some in stock. When I went to buy it they thought I was crazy for buying the old style. When I brought up the the problem of it not fitting some implements,I got the old, we never heard of that before, line. So we went out to the lot and found three tractors with the new hitch and two of those the implements were hitting the bolts on the adjusable hook. I bought the old style!!

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
If you keep the new style hitch, ditch the nuts and bolts for holding the top-hook on as they'll just slow you down, and you need a couple of wrenches to adjust the hook. Get a couple of clevis pins and cotter-rings so you don't need tools to adjust the hook. Don't use hairpins as they pop out from vibration and rubbing against the hook frame.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110106108324823291002/TopNTilt#5382696790091174546

https://picasaweb.google.com/110106108324823291002/TopNTilt#5382696794327369746

I got the cotter-rings from Deere as the 4200 - 4400 uses them on the 3PH sway bars. McMaster-Carr also sells cotter-rings.

·
Premium Member
12,812 Posts
If you keep the new style hitch, ditch the nuts and bolts for holding the top-hook on as they'll just slow you down, and you need a couple of wrenches to adjust the hook. Get a couple of clevis pins and cotter-rings so you don't need tools to adjust the hook. Don't use hairpins as they pop out from vibration and rubbing against the hook frame.
Amen to that! I recently bought the Land Pride quick hitch and it uses the clevis pins and hairpins to secure the top hook. I thought it was a great idea until I used it for the first time to back blade a few inches of snow we had a few weeks ago. I lost one of the pins within the first 10-mins of use. I installed two bolts as a temporary repair. The heads hit the implement but at least I could finish plowing. I found the clevis pin when the snow melted but the hairpin is still among the missing.

I am going to take your advice and try some cotter rings!

·
Registered
157 Posts
A dealer near me has a used old style in good shape, $275 he said.

Jon

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Amen to that! I recently bought the Land Pride quick hitch and it uses the clevis pins and hairpins to secure the top hook. I thought it was a great idea until I used it for the first time to back blade a few inches of snow we had a few weeks ago. I lost one of the pins within the first 10-mins of use. I installed two bolts as a temporary repair. The heads hit the implement but at least I could finish plowing. I found the clevis pin when the snow melted but the hairpin is still among the missing.

I am going to take your advice and try some cotter rings!
The same thing happened with my LandPride QH, which is why I got the cotter-rings. They work perfectly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts