Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my area, so many of the longtime barbers have either retired or just simply closed their doors. A while back, mine retired and I had no idea that finding a replacement would be such a challenge. I'd try going to a salon only to be told that they were booked up solid. I preferred to find an old fashioned male barber if possible. Just when I would remember another real popular barber, I would find out that he too had retired.

Meanwhile, the growth of hair atop my noggin grew ever so longer. It had been years since I let it get that long. Couldn't even keep my cowboy hats on, on windy days. All that hair would put up a fight with almost any kind of hat or cap. :laugh:Since I've been helping to take care of an ill family member, I had less and less time to find somebody to cut that fro off my head. I was getting desperate to find help.

Thankfully there is a man who cuts hair the old fashioned way. No, he doesn't use chili bowls.:lol: But, it can be challenging to get an appointment. He set up shop in the lower floor of an old,historical hotel. The man is talented.
At first, I wasn't sure if he or his scissors and clippers were up to the task of taming the beast on my noggin.
It would definitely be a battle and would take longer than the usual thirty minutes for this head of hair. But, in the end the man with sharpened steel won the war. There was a noticeable mess of chopped up locks of hair all over the floor.
A gruesome scene indeed. He even used hot wax and a razor. I made sure that he got a generous tip and am thankful to look more like a modern human being. It's nice to get noticed by all the pretty ladies again.Thank you,Jerry. :yahoo:

·
Administrator
20,684 Posts
Shaving your back shouldn't be that big of a hassle. Try attaching a pair of clippers to a yard stick and see if that works. It'll save you the time and hassle. You can do it anytime you feel the need.:thumbup1gif::lol:

Seriously, back before I started sporting the "Kennyd bowling ball" look, a good barber is a must. Find one and stick with him.

Your back will thank you. :mocking:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diesel, have thought about just using a torch for the back wire, I mean hair, but chickened out.:laugh:

·
Administrator
20,684 Posts
Diesel, have thought about just using a torch for the back wire, I mean hair, but chickened out.:laugh:
Maybe Farmgirl has some shears she could use? She isn't all that far away. I'm sure she wouldn't mind helping another fellow GTT member AND fellow Texan.

·
Administrator
17,974 Posts
back before I started sporting the "Kennyd bowling ball" look...
How the heck did I get thrown into this:dunno:

That's a number 1-1/2 gauge on my Wahl clippers, I do most of it myself then the wifey trims...

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
My barber and I were just having this same conversation this week when I got my hair cut. I have been going to him for nearly 20 years now, since he just got out of barber school. Since he is not yet 40, I expect to not have to change barbers again.

We were mentally mulling over the few barbers left in our area and the fact that the closest barber school is now nearly 200 miles away, all the others having closed. There are few new barbers today as not many people are choosing the trade. Since I require my hair cut to be flat on top (nearly 60 years now), I find it difficult to have just anyone cut my hair. Just for fun, I sometimes ask at a hair salon if they cut my type of hair cut. The looks I get are sometimes hilarious.

For those that can remember the "good old days", I can remember getting my hair cut for 25 cents. At my age, I can remember that, but can't remember how much I paid this week. Seems like I remember that someone once said that was the sign of "getting older". I am only going to "be" 39 on my next birthday. Thanks Jack Benny and FG.

Dave

·
Registered
327 Posts
be thankful that you guys have hair to cut, but then again, I do save money on shampoo lotion. :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
When my barber retired I went to a #2 all over, simple and quick.
Considering doing the exact same thing. Usually go to one of those strip mall haircut places, wait to get in, then it costs $13 plus tip. I wear a hat about all the time anyway, so what am I really getting by doing it the way I am?

Not much. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Yeah, I miss the old barber shop too. My last real barber retired early due to cancer. The guy that bought his shop just doesn't "cut" it. I now go to a walk in salon with several Lebanese guys that do ok and the price is still "hair cut price" not hair stylist price, but it isn't the same. The old shop had table and chairs where kids weren't allowed to sit, because of the mags on that table, sports playing on the old TV on a corner shelf next to the door. Old and young guys sitting around chewing the fat, nobody cared if it took an hour to get into a chair. Some mother would walk in with her little boy for a haircut and the room would silence.... That was all fun.

I sort of figure when I don't have to go into the office anymore, in 5-10 years, I will grow my pony tail back and forget the whole notion of cutting hair, and shaving. I really want my pony tail back; stupid corporate image expectations. :lol:

And just for old times sake:

·
Super Moderator
5,539 Posts
Green and red,my dad was/is one of those old fashioned barbers. He had a shop for just about 55 years. When he decided to call it quits,we set up all his equipment in the basement of the house. To this day (90 years old) he still has a few remaining original customers that still come to him,plus he does most all the grand kids!:)

·
Premium Member
14,726 Posts
Had gone to a barber for at least 6 yrs, then phone company changed my reporting location, so I had to find a new barber. A friend of our daughters opened a shop so my wife and girls started going to her. After going here, there, and everywhere, my wife told me one evening that the shop owner was cutting her dads hair when she went in to get hair done. Wife asked if she cut men hair , the girl said yea, been going to her now close to 20 yrs plus the scenery is very nice. This week while there watched her son driving their Gator (age 10-11 cab & heater) his sister ,(age 7-8) ,setting on a small tire and hanging on to the rope attached to back of the Gator. He walks in the shop in a thin sweatshirt ,his sister has snow on her from head to toe, and asking lets go again....she was a snowy mess.

·
Registered
327 Posts
@ etcallhome, how far did you have to move? I was in the same situation back in 2003 & in 2004. Moved two hours away from my brothers and other family members.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
My primary barber started cutting my hair when he was an apprentice. I was in high school at the time, so that means that he has been cuttting my hair for over 50 years. I don't know what I will do if he retires. There are only two more barbers in the county and one is older than mine. No offense intended but females hair cutters just don't do a good GI haircut.

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
My primary barber started cutting my hair when he was an apprentice. I was in high school at the time, so that means that he has been cuttting my hair for over 50 years. I don't know what I will do if he retires. There are only two more barbers in the county and one is older than mine. No offense intended but females hair cutters just don't do a good GI haircut.
Probably so. I have (or did have) very curly hair, and the typical barber was never able to cut my hair to my satisfaction. My Dad, fortunately, although not a barber, gave me the best haircuts I ever had. Today I spend $20 for a haircut and out of 10, probably get 8 acceptable, one good one and one bad one.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Maybe Farmgirl has some shears she could use? She isn't all that far away. I'm sure she wouldn't mind helping another fellow GTT member AND fellow Texan.
Shears?!?! Around here, I use wax! :lol::laugh:

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Probably so. I have (or did have) very curly hair, and the typical barber was never able to cut my hair to my satisfaction. My Dad, fortunately, although not a barber, gave me the best haircuts I ever had. Today I spend $20 for a haircut and out of 10, probably get 8 acceptable, one good one and one bad one.
I always heard that when you got a bad haircut, just wait two or three days and it would be OK.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts