Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 21 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forums, and I could not find a discussion about this. I am also unsure if this is even the correct place to ask this question, but here goes:

I have need to dispose of my old broken down LA135 riding mower. I have a 2038R on order and my little mower just couldn't hold out till the new tractor arrived. The deck cracked in a way that it won't hold the spindle stable and the blades are intersecting. On top of the fact that it is 11 years old and the transmission is shot. So this is not something that will be salvaged, or is really salable.

So, is there an appropriate method of disposing these? I can't imagine the dealer would carry it off when they deliver the new machine. I am not even really sure where I would begin to inquire about how to handle this. Does it go to a scrap yard, or maybe just the landfill? Who should I call locally to verify that I am handling the disposal properly? How have you handled your old lawnmowers at the end of their useful lives?

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I would think scrap yard or scrappers would pick it up?

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
Post it on Craigslist or FB Marketplace, you can probably get a little cash for it especially if it still runs.
^^^ Bingo! In my area if you put it on Craigslist in the "free" section it'll be gone in about 3 hours max. But there are people that will buy them for parts too. Your transmission might be shot but there is someone out there with a busted hood that will want your's.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Not the dealer, but the individual guy that that delivers your tractor may very well take it with him. He could (or you could) take it to the scrap yard and get enough coin for a pizza! 🍕:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Post it on Craigslist or FB Marketplace, you can probably get a little cash for it especially if it still runs.
The engine has never given an ounce of trouble and it still runs strong! I believe I will try this approach first.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Around here, if I'm fixin to scrap something then I'll have some fun first lol. I'd drain the oil, zip tie the governor linkage and take bets on how long it'll last before it blows. Scrap is bought by the pound not by what shape it's in.

But if you can get more for it running then by all means, sell it. You may even make a few more bucks pulling the engine and selling it separately, then scrapping the rest.

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
A free add will make your email explode. If you were local I’d be a taker at free knowing I could get a quick $100

Reactions: MTB98

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Check into the small engine repair shops too. They might be interested in salvaging some of the working parts. When you call one, if they are not interested ask if they can think of someone who might be. Who knows, you might end up back there for used parts some day for a different machine. If they want yours they might give some cash, offer some parts, or only want it for scrap but be willing to pick it up.

Reactions: farmer52

·
Registered
474 Posts
Maybe my suntanned neck ( didn't know this was a bad word) is showing......... doesn't everyone here have a scrap pile and a burn pile?

When the scrap pile gets too big it gets hauled to the scrap yard. When the burn pile gets too big it gets a date with a match.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have sometimes just disassembled, cut the bigger pieces into smaller ones, and put everything into my household trash bin. Never a riding mower, but a few walk behind lawn mowers over the years. The bigger metal parts go into the recycling bin for pickup along with cans, bottles, and cardboard. Tires get cut apart and go into the trash as well. Sometimes it takes weeks to steadily dispose of all the pieces. I have never had a trash or recycling bin load refused; the pickup guys just want to load and go and don’t care what is in the bins.

I don’t have room for a junk pile without giving up grazing land. In the past I have occasionally gotten together with a few neighbors and rented a small dumpster for a week as another option for spring cleaning. It is amazing how quickly 2 or 3 households can fill up a dumpster. Or how quickly the empty space fills up again....:)

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
when I have something like this to get rid of I put it on the curb down by the road and bingo its gone. I have done this for old grills, 3 push mowers, 2 pinball games and several items to much to mention.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
someone will probably want it for parts.

·
Registered
614 Posts
when I have something like this to get rid of I put it on the curb down by the road and bingo its gone. I have done this for old grills, 3 push mowers, 2 pinball games and several items to much to mention.
Lol, when I lived in "the city", theft was pretty high where I lived. Alway something vanishing. Good neighborhood surrounded by a few bad ones. I had an old window AC unit that died, at the time, the dump would charge $25 for disposal. So left it on the front porch and it was gone the next day.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not the dealer, but the individual guy that that delivers your tractor may very well take it with him. He could (or you could) take it to the scrap yard and get enough coin for a pizza! 🍕:)
my dad does mower pick ups and delivery for a local shop. just yesterday i went with him to the scrap yard to help him drop off a couple of beaters he had picked up for a customer. the guy gave him 20 bucks to take them away, and then he pulled another 75 bucks (with some other scrap) at the yard.

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
Lol, when I lived in "the city", theft was pretty high where I lived. Alway something vanishing. Good neighborhood surrounded by a few bad ones. I had an old window AC unit that died, at the time, the dump would charge $25 for disposal. So left it on the front porch and it was gone the next day.

About 15 years ago I was helping a friend replace some hardwood flooring in his parents house. They had an old cast iron wood stove that had to go. So we picked it up and carried it to the end of the driveway figuring we'd go back out and put a "FREE!" sign on it later. We didn't even get back up his 60' driveway before a truck pulled up and 2 guys jumped out and threw it into the bed of their truck. 🤣

·
Registered
582 Posts
My dad tried something like this with an old car. Wherever he drove it he'd park it with the window down and key in the ignition, hoping that it would just disappear. He finally gave up after people started locking up the car for him and tracking him down to return the keys.

·
Registered
925 Posts
When I have anything I want to dispose of, lawn mowers, old furniture, whatever; I set it at the end of my driveway with a "FREE" sign. I live on a state route, and it's rare that whatever I set out there doesn't get picked up within an hour by somebody.

If I had a sign that said $50, it would probably be gone even faster. :p

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Within an hour I'd have a visit from the Home Owners Association.

Q: What do you call a group of Karens?

A: A Home Owners Association
Join the HOA Board Dumbest thing I did I think sometimes. I am the treasurer I basically run the HOA Nobody else really has any thing to do during the Year on the Board except a Board meeting once a Year.
But our HOA is pretty nice Basically if the towns OK with it were OK with it.

The whole Town is nothing But HOA's. City's Not responsible for any of the Roads except 3 very short Roads almost all roads are Private HOA. In Illinois they May think they have a Lot of Power But Illinois law Trumps a Lot of what they try because most don't know any better they let the HOA win at least here. Another HOA In town a Guy wanted to Put a arbor or Trellis In they told him he had to Plant 100 more trees On his Property before they would approve the Trellis or arbor. They found out quickly they couldn't do that The Town approved his permit without the HOA and the HOA couldn't make him take it down.

I would rather Just Hire a Lawyer and let them run the HOA.

BTW are dues are only yearly Most only Pay $210.00 a year and complain when we need to get the roads fixed a $152,000 to redo all our roads( haven't been re paved since 1978 when the road were put in. Oh and nobody want to raise the dues either some of the Bigger Properties Pay $365.00 a year and My Property is in two different HOA's so I pay 210.00 In one and $200 in the other a year Try to explain most HOA's charge more then That a month (y)

But to the Original poster I would Just tell the dealer to Take it when they drop off You 2038R. That's what the outdoor Power equipment dealers do around here even if that Not Purchasing your unit for Trade in

Reactions: Herminator and Kbar
1 - 21 of 24 Posts