Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mole moosher thread got me looking for these pics, but rather than muddying that one up I figured I'd just post it on it's own.

Made this about 3 years ago (pre-tractor) and never did put the door handle on it. :laugh:

End result:

IMAG0956.jpg

Some progress shots:

Used masking tape to create a cut line guide

IMAG0943.jpg

Used an abrasive cutoff wheel in an angle grinder to sever the tank end (previous end removal was done via plasma cutter a few years ago) and prepare the tank for mating to the second tank

IMAG0944.jpg

Used scrap exhaust pipe for the stack (got it free from the dumpster at an exhaust shop - with permission)

IMAG0946.jpg

Cut out the opening for the top plate

IMAG0950.jpg

Then welded it in

IMAG0951.jpg

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Nice!

A guy in another forum used them for making little outdoor grills. Cut them in half - used the bottom portion with a grate on top and drilled some air holes around the bottom edge. He used it to make camp coffee in the evening while enjoying the outdoors.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I then cut down the front after deciding I didn't want the base ring on it after all, and welded on a new plate

IMAG0953.jpg

I cut almost all the way through for the door opening so it would remain attached while welding the two sides of the hinge plates in place, then cut the remaining "holding" metal after the hinges were set. That way the door was centered in the opening no matter what the metal did when I tacked the hinges on. It worked perfect!

IMAG0954.jpg

Then I added the trim pieces afterwards

IMAG0955.jpg

Test fire on my workbench. :lol: I screwed up and didn't have the exhaust fan on when I lit it so it got smoky for a bit

IMAG0959.jpg

Needed more fresh air intake, so I chopped up the bottom of the stove with the plasma cutter

IMAG0960.jpg

Then I covered those with sheet metal to keep everything contained and act like an ash pan, but never took any pics of that.

I'll eventually put this in the shooting house at my gun range. It needs a longer stack to get a proper draft, and I need to finish it too for that matter. :mocking:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice!

A guy in another forum used them for making little outdoor grills. Cut them in half - used the bottom portion with a grate on top and drilled some air holes around the bottom edge. He used it to make camp coffee in the evening while enjoying the outdoors.
This is actually v2. I have a vertical single tank one buried in the depths of my garage I can't get to. I wasn't happy with how that one burned and it was too small to put any appreciable size wood in.

I got a couple dozen (no lie, I still have about 16-18 left :laugh: ) of these tanks when people were giving them away after it became illegal to fill them without changing to the overfill protection valves. I saw the value as repurpose material and started hording them.

I store waste motor oil in them too and have a plan for a valve head that turns them into a sprayer using compressed air. I just need to figure out what to use for my "gun" on that project. 12v portable air compressor will make keeping it charged a snap anywhere my ATV can go. :good2:

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
I have 3 or 4 of the 5 gallon and 2 or 3 of the 25 gallon tanks sitting behind the barn. With no fabrication skills or tools they just sit there. Are we still able to fill the 25 gallon ones (100#)?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OPD valves are only required on 20# tanks IIRC, and the valve prices have dropped considerably since the law went into effect (this was 12ish years ago). Blue Rhino used to refuse to take non-OPD tanks but realized that they'd eventually make more money retrofitting and refurbing the tanks and started taking them in exchange without a surcharge. So now if you have an old tank you can't get filled you just go trade it for a new one from one of the retail LP dealers and it's "handled". Blue Rhino's LP prices are obscene compared to getting a tank filled by a fuel dealer who has the capability, but if you need a new valve it's a good value.

I'd love to get some more of the 2.5 and 5# LP tanks - they're a great size for fun stuff. I made a steel tiki hut bird house for my mom out of a 5#er. Took years for birds to decide to use it since the stink wasn't quite out of that one when I put it in the tree. Sucker weighs about 35#. :lolol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts