Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This tool has been in my tool box since I was about 12 years old on the farm. Dad got it from a local guy that had been making them for years. i used it numerous times over the early years but it's been just a conversation piece with my kids and now grandkids.
See if you know what it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I guess.... spring install-removal tool???
:dunno:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This tool and the end all fix all 'baling wire' were used to fix leaking radiator hose connections when a regular hose clamp wasn't available. I don't have any baling wire any more but I have roll of old electric fence wire that I used to demonstrate how the tool works on my old ford car. First I cut a length of wire and form it as the first picture shows. Then you wrap the formed wire around the radiator hose and slide the two ends under the U shape end. Place the tool end in the U shaped end of the wire and wrap the loose ends of the wire around the two pins on the tool and crank the tool handle to pull the wire tight and bend it over to hold the makeshift clamp tight.

Attachments

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,464 Posts
Wait, wait!

I know what it is. :think:

It's a coolant hose retainer, installation tool. :laugh:

Am I correct?? :yahoo: What do I win? :mocking:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
This tool and the end all fix all 'baling wire' were used to fix leaking radiator hose connections when a regular hose clamp wasn't available. I don't have any baling wire any more but I have roll of old electric fence wire that I used to demonstrate how the tool works on my old ford car. First I cut a length of wire and form it as the first picture shows. Then you wrap the formed wire around the radiator hose and slide the two ends under the U shape end. Place the tool end in the U shaped end of the wire and wrap the loose ends of the wire around the two pins on the tool and crank the tool handle to pull the wire tight and bend it over to hold the makeshift clamp tight.
I'll probably never need one but I want one now that i've seen this.:geek:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,464 Posts
I'll probably never need one but I want one now that i've seen this.:geek:
Bailing wire(or a reasonable facsimile), and a cheap, throw-away vice-grip will work. :good2:

·
Registered
426 Posts
That it REALLY Cool!!!!
:good2:

Reactions: rtgt and BigJim55

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
That's really cool that he made his own. I wasn't smart enough to make one but I've seen different versions available to buy.

Like this one:

Clamptite

I've had one of these for several years, great for making hose clamps:

Haywire Klamper

·
Registered
4,078 Posts

Well, we never had a tool like that, but we did have baling wire on the fence post at the end of the row in case we needed it to fix something. LOTS of baling wire.

Dave

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
That's really cool that he made his own. I wasn't smart enough to make one but I've seen different versions available to buy.

Like this one:

Clamptite

Haywire Klamper
I found that a few years ago and bookmarked it. Never bought it but often think about how I could use it.

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts

Like this one:

Clamptite

Haywire Klamper
Those look like a pretty handy tool to have. :good2:

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I have one almost identical in my tool box. My dad made it a while back. He made a few of them and I have one. Another great use is on airlines. Get rid of those hose clamps that catch your hand and go with this.

The only difference is mine doesn't have the pencil sharpener type handle on the end. I think it is a nut or something. I will have to look at it next time I am in the shop.

Reactions: Daveb

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Here is mine. It is a little rust as is a lot of stuff out in the shop. I haven't had any power out there all summer. :banghead:

Reactions: Ripsaw and Daveb

·
Registered
443 Posts

Like this one:

Clamptite

Haywire Klamper
Seen the Clamptite one on Motortrend TV a few times. Neat tool, but I don't perform that kind of work enough to justify one.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Looks like a “Hey! You got something stuck up your keester! Let me help you with that” tool

Pretty neat tool.

·
Administrator
20,844 Posts
I’ve had a Clamptite for many years. It works great and has been very handy. Over purposely used it on certain jobs rather than work clamps for a cleaner and custom installation.

It’s great for what it’s designed for, but I don’t use it all that often. For me it’s a worthwhile tool to have. :good2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts