Green Tractor Talk banner

Old tool in my tool box

4K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  dieselshadow 
#1 ·
This tool has been in my tool box since I was about 12 years old on the farm. Dad got it from a local guy that had been making them for years. i used it numerous times over the early years but it's been just a conversation piece with my kids and now grandkids.
See if you know what it is.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I guess.... spring install-removal tool???
:dunno:

#3 ·
This tool and the end all fix all 'baling wire' were used to fix leaking radiator hose connections when a regular hose clamp wasn't available. I don't have any baling wire any more but I have roll of old electric fence wire that I used to demonstrate how the tool works on my old ford car. First I cut a length of wire and form it as the first picture shows. Then you wrap the formed wire around the radiator hose and slide the two ends under the U shape end. Place the tool end in the U shaped end of the wire and wrap the loose ends of the wire around the two pins on the tool and crank the tool handle to pull the wire tight and bend it over to hold the makeshift clamp tight.

Attachments

#9 ·
That it REALLY Cool!!!!
:good2:

#15 ·
I have one almost identical in my tool box. My dad made it a while back. He made a few of them and I have one. Another great use is on airlines. Get rid of those hose clamps that catch your hand and go with this.

The only difference is mine doesn't have the pencil sharpener type handle on the end. I think it is a nut or something. I will have to look at it next time I am in the shop.

Reactions: Daveb
#16 ·
Here is mine. It is a little rust as is a lot of stuff out in the shop. I haven't had any power out there all summer. :banghead:

#18 ·
Looks like a “Hey! You got something stuck up your keester! Let me help you with that” tool

Pretty neat tool.

#19 ·
I’ve had a Clamptite for many years. It works great and has been very handy. Over purposely used it on certain jobs rather than work clamps for a cleaner and custom installation.

It’s great for what it’s designed for, but I don’t use it all that often. For me it’s a worthwhile tool to have. :good2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.