Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I was given a >100 year old Columbian Vise and MFG. CO woodworking vise

After some cleanup with a wire wheel, and a little oil, it looked pretty good.

Then I realized that I didn't have a workbench sturdy enough for it.

So, I built one, almost all from salvaged lumber.

PT 4x4 legs and braces, 4x4 front, 2x12 top, 2x4 shelf and framing

·
Premium Member
14,701 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, everyone!

The reason a lot of it is blue is because the lumber was salvaged from a dog walk agility obstacle that my late father made for our late dog Markie. He was my wife's best friend (the dog, not my dad...).

So I think of them every time I use it.

It's 8' long and 34 1/2" wide. The nice thing about building a bench from scratch is that, as I am 6'4", I made the top 39" high so it's comfortable for me to work at. If it turns out to be a little too tall, I can cut it shorter, but it's a lot harder to cut it taller. :)

The 4x4s were salvaged sleepers from a 20 year old steel shed we demoed at church and replaced with a Tuff Shed. The only new lumber was 3 8' 2x4s because I didn't have anything that long laying about.

BTW, this is the first time I've used Simpson Strong-Tie Timber Screws. Those are great fasteners, if a bit pricey.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have an old vise that says Erie Railroad on it.

And NO, none of youse guys are getting it! :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Nice work.
I have seen a lot of Columbia vises over the years. All of the ones I have seen had pipe handles. This is the first one I have seen with that style handle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice work.
I have seen a lot of Columbia vises over the years. All of the ones I have seen had pipe handles. This is the first one I have seen with that style handle.
Thanks! The friend that gave it to me had 2 identical ones. That handle also has a leaf spring in it to keep the handle in position. So does the dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts