Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early serial number 3038E and noticed oil on wheel and on ground in shelter where tractor is parked.
Apparently the seals used are different on the newer units. I have used the loader quite a bit but not to excess. Would this damage the seal causing it to fail?
I purchase two new seals and plan to install them in a week or two. Can any one point me to a video to assist me?
Any recommendations in this area would be appreciated.
I would like to find the serial number on the axle to make sure that I have the correct seal before opening the seal packaging. They are $36 cdn each. I can't find the S/N for the axle to check compatibility.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Does it have the yellow plastic dipstick or the metal hexagon version? If it is plastic, buy the metal one, it is vented. I was surprised at how much pressure this unit develops even when there is just an increase in ambient air temps.

As far as the seal replacement, I cannot help you, but there are plenty of members who have tackled this repair.

·
Registered
27,800 Posts
I have used the loader quite a bit but not to excess. Would this damage the seal causing it to fail?
Do you have proper ballast when using the loader? Overloading the front axle because of loader work without proper ballast is probably the #1 reason for front axle seals leaks on these small tractors.

·
Registered
X320, 3720 W/ 300cx loader, 5'ford 917 flail, CL 6' box blade, 64 massy 165
666 Posts
Pic is info on the vented dipstick I received in a post about the same issue around 4 weeks ago. "Post on page 2, titled 3720 spindle hub seal leak." I made my own vent. I ended up not replacing the seals. Found there to be a lot of pressure in the housing. So far the vent has solved my issue. My seals started leaking after a day of loader work. I was ballasted with a heavy 6ft box blade but should have had more.
Product Tool Font Screenshot Cable

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have proper ballast when using the loader? Overloading the front axle because of loader work without proper ballast is probably the #1 reason for front axle seals leaks on these small tractors.
I have filled rear turf tires. I probably need more ballast for the loads I was handling. Thanks coaltrain. I didn't even think of that as I had the load very low to the ground.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pic is info on the vented dipstick I received in a post about the same issue around 4 weeks ago. "Post on page 2, titled 3720 spindle hub seal leak." I made my own vent. I ended up not replacing the seals. Found there to be a lot of pressure in the housing. So far the vent has solved my issue. My seals started leaking after a day of loader work. I was ballasted with a heavy 6ft box blade but should have had more. View attachment 792629
Pic is info on the vented dipstick I received in a post about the same issue around 4 weeks ago. "Post on page 2, titled 3720 spindle hub seal leak." I made my own vent. I ended up not replacing the seals. Found there to be a lot of pressure in the housing. So far the vent has solved my issue. My seals started leaking after a day of loader work. I was ballasted with a heavy 6ft box blade but should have had more. View attachment 792629
Thanks Dave. The picture of the vented plug says it all. I think they cut corners on the E models. Sweet to have the vented plug's part number.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased the JD metal vented dipstick mentioned above a few years ago for my 2010 3038e , but still have leaking front axle seals at the pivot point, anyone have a breakdown on replacing the front axle seals?

·
Registered
2013 JD2520, 2011 JD3320,
62 Posts
I purchased the JD metal vented dipstick mentioned above a few years ago for my 2010 3038e , but still have leaking front axle seals at the pivot point, anyone have a breakdown on replacing the front axle seals?
Keep in mind, that dipstick is a pressure relief valve-not a vent. Could be a part of the issue. The Otis models are bi-directional, if you want a truly vented system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keep in mind, that dipstick is a pressure relief valve-not a vent. Could be a part of the issue. The Otis models are bi-directional, if you want a truly vented system.
Didn't realize that , guess its worth a try with the Otis vent, but I would still like to know if anyone has any detailed info on how to change the seals, my hunch is mine are too far gone by now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts