Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cutting the yard the other day and ran out of gas. Came back a few days later with the fuel and proceeded to fill said empty tank. Sat down, engaged brake, made sure PTO was off. Engine spins like a top. No start. Fuel pump does not run with key switch in run or start. I checked power at the pump and at the fuses, nothing... I ran a jumper wire to the pump, still nothing. Help !

As luck would have it, I pulled the LT 180 out to finish, ( it hasn't been started in about a year )...guess what .... no fuel delivery either...I checked the hose from the pump to the manifold ? It was fine, I presume, it does need a pump ?. ;Lines are free and clear ( blew back through the tank)

thank you !

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Pumps need gas for cooling.

If it’s getting 12v it needs replacement. If it isn’t getting 12v your problem is unrelated to running out of gas.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
And it is getting a good ground..

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
It's not getting 12volts and when I jumper it, it still doesn't run
I don’t think you ran out of gas.

Last I knew you could get the 425 technical manual via google.

If 12v doesn’t make the pump run then you need a pump, from there you will get an electrical troubleshooting tree that you can follow from the pump to the other problem.

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
620 Posts
When you sit on the seat with PTO off and ignition switch on, do you see both LEDs lit at the top of the control board (shown as A and C here)?

Product Rectangle Font Line Parallel

At some point you might want to remove one of the two valve covers, spin the engine with the starter, and see if the intake/exhaust valves are moving up and down. These Kawasaki engines are great engines, but they have a bad habit of breaking the plastic gear on the camshaft (before they went to a metal gear).

A friend of mine with a 425 had it quit on him while mowing. When he told me that "it spins abnormally fast on the starter", I suspected that the camshaft was no longer spinning and one or more valves were left open resulting in no compression against the starter motor. Removing a valve cover quickly confirmed that he had a broken camshaft gear.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I don’t think you ran out of gas.

Last I knew you could get the 425 technical manual via google.

If 12v doesn’t make the pump run then you need a pump, from there you will get an electrical troubleshooting tree that you can follow from the pump to the other problem.
2nd this

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Maybe this will help.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update, I took the advice of checking ground to the pump. I ran a ground from the battery and the hot from the battery and I got fuel delivery. Disconnected my jumper wires and I'll be a monkey's uncle and had fuel at key on..... Put the darn thing back together and started the afternoon chore... Would run for a bit and just shut down. Would always start back up. Got to be pretty bad not even running 2 minutes, then after about 10 agonizing minutes of that, ran fine until supper time about an hour later. Will see how she does today. Yes it was definitely out of gas, bone dry ( the first time it stopped)

Thanks every one esp @etcallhome and @everyone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.